Convert DVD to iPod

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a freeware dvd to ipod video converter? I have workout dvd's that I want to put into my ipod for when I travel.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Copying is not always illegal.

First, some videos are in fact free. Second, personal use is often fine.

And there's plenty of software programs that have both legal and sketchy to illegal applications. Just depends on who is doing what.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
There are legal DVD ripping software -- they won't copy copy-protected stuff. But turning DVDs into iPod video usually is not a one-step process. There are free tools out there, but often than not they require many steps. First you need to "rip" your DVD, then you need to turn the .vob files (basically mpeg2) into the appropriate iPod resolutions and formats (.mov, .mp4, etc.)

What platform do you have? I use the Mac, and I have MacTheRipper (free) and VisualHub (also free, but discontinued, unfortunately). Great programs. On the PC, I think there's also a version of VisualHub and tons and tons of ripping software.

Check out www.dvdrhelp.com. Lots of information and links to software. In particular, follow this link.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Ray. I use a PC and will look into the links you provided.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
i use a program called foddlepod. it was on my moms laptop when my uncle gave it to here so i don't know if its free, but it works.

it also lets you take your music off you ipod and save it. so if you lose your library, you can pull all of it back off your Ipod.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know any Windows software, but if anyone with a Mac is wondering, I use Handbrake and iSquint.

Handbrake is basically the same as VisualHub and will rip and convert the DVD in one step. MacTheRipper will give you the whole DVD, but that's massive and not usually as useful as a good ol' mp4.

iSquint just converts any video to a iPod size-friendly mp4.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
dvdvideosoft.com has a number of free converters available for use.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Can't Handbrake do mp4? VisualHub does.

Yep.

I just use iSquint to slim down the bigger files I keep on hard drive. Also useful if you ever want to get an internet video (which are rarely in useful formats...) onto an iPod.