I am caught up in Gmail and cannot escape!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've been blogging for a few months now using Google's Blogger, and have been doing fine (mostly). But now it's all gone horribly wrong....

Yesterday, I signed up to a Gmail account--I've always used Outlook until now, but wanted a new email address associated with my blog for a survey I'm going to run.

That was easy enough. But now that Gmail account has become my "primary email" address with Google, and I can't find out how to change it. When I comment on a blog now, and subscribe to the comments, instead of those comment-updates arriving in my Outlook inbox they go striaght to Gmail instead. My old email address is still listed with Google on my account, but I can't change it to my be my primary address--there appears to be no option which allows this.

I've had a rummage around in Google's help facility and found nothing that helped. There was a suggestion that I could just set up an email forwarding thing that automatically forwards all incoming Gmail onto my other email address--but that would defeat the whole purpose of my having a Gmail address, which was to separate one set of mail from another! And on top of that, I'm on a slow dial-up connection and Gmail is horribly time-consuming for me to use.

I could delete the Gmail account--but then it wouldn't ever be available to me or anyone else again, apparently, and as it's the name of my blog I really don't want to do that. So, does anyone know how (or even if) I can reset my Google/blogger account so that all email ignores my Gmail account, and goes straight to my other address instead, like it used to? And can I do this without deleting the Gmail account?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
But if I want to comment using my Blogger identity, so that people can then follow my user profile back to my own blog, that doesn't work... pah. I might just have to delete the Gmail account. It would probably be simpler.

Deleted member 42

Don't delete it; I'm going to go rummage in the Google Help pages. Hang on :D

Deleted member 42

OK.

Best suggestion I can come up with.

1. Keep the Gmail address.
2. Set up Oulook to fetch your gmail mail into Outlook using IMAP.
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12913

Using IMAP means the Web client and Outlook will sych with each other; and you can use both or either.

3. Your Gmail account mail should go to it's own In box in Outlook; if that doesn't happen automatically, you can easily create a Rule or Filter (I forget what they're called in Outlook--it's been six years !) to sort the Gmail mail into it's own folder.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I don't use gmail, but when I log into google and go to My Account (top of the screen after I've logged in, but I also use iGoogle), there's a link for editing my email settings. When you click that link, can you add email accounts and change which one is primary and which one is not? It looks like you should be able to from what I see with my own account, but I didn't fiddle with it. (Just in case.)

If this doesn't work or you've already tried it, I apologize.

Deleted member 42

Mine won't let me use anything but a gmail account as Primary. I can use any gmail account, but it rejects any other account, and won't save it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to funnel all my Gmails into my Outlook thing, as the whole point of having a Gmail account was to keep it completely separate from my other emails... so that would defeat the object of having it at all.

Before I signed up to Gmail I used a non-gmail email address to deal with all my Blogger emails, like comment notification etc: one for my own blogs and another to subscribe to other people's blogs with. It all worked very nicely. Now that b****y Gmail address is sitting there on my Blogger account marked "primary email", with my other two email addresses below it. I have the option to delete the other two, but not to change the primary email address to anything other than Gmail.

I shall give it until tomorrow and then delete it, and open another Google account and set up a Gmail account there. But why can't Google just let me change the primary email address? It would be SO simple.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I don't want to funnel all my Gmails into my Outlook thing, as the whole point of having a Gmail account was to keep it completely separate from my other emails... so that would defeat the object of having it at all.

You could always use filters within Outlook to seperate things. I do that all the time.

Have you an idea how many AW thread reply notifications I get a day?! They used to clog up my main inbox, now they all get automatically filed into a nice folder by themselves.

Deleted member 42

You could always use filters within Outlook to seperate things. I do that all the time.

Have you an idea how many AW thread reply notifications I get a day?! They used to clog up my main inbox, now they all get automatically filed into a nice folder by themselves.

You know you can turn 'em off, right?

You know how many BOUCNED AW thread notifications the AW server gets a day from AOL members?

Makes me cry . . .

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Unfortunately, there's no way to undo that. It's annoying that Google forces you to make that as a primary address -- that's very arrogant of them.

There is, however, a work-around that doesn't require you to delete the Gmail account or push all Gmail email to Outlook. This is what you can do:

Go to Gmail's settings and add a filter. Then filter everything from Blogger (to get the sender address, just send a test comment to yourself) and forward them to your REAL primary email account. For example, if the email comes from [email protected] (just an example) and your primary address is [email protected]:

1. Log on to Gmail
2. Click Settings
3. Click the Filter tab
4. Add a filter and follow the steps: in the "From:" box enter [email protected], then hit Next, and in the next section (action), choose "Forward to:" and enter [email protected]. Save the filter.

Voila!

Nice and neat.

Last edited: