Anyone recommend a good book on building plot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel I have the voice and style side of things sorted (according to agents who've had my full m/s) but I'm worried I struggle with building a good plot and writing a decent ending. Anyone recommend any good books on this area?

Thanks. T

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Plot and Structure: James Scott Bell helps me.

As for the ending...it should arise pretty much organically from the rest of the novel ( even if it's a twist, it should still make people think 'why didn't I see that coming!)

Thanks. :) I probably sound like a bit of a dufus. My ending has come about organically but one agent felt it wound up too damn quickly so I guess I just need a little guidance. I think writing style can't be 'taught' - you have it or you don't - but I think plot and structure can be helped along with some decent books. So the novel's written, been revised and edited and agents have fulls but am just anticpiating a 'no' and what I can do to deal with that. My view is if agents love the writing style and synopsis enough to request a full but then turn it down, there's something wrong with the way I've worked the plot.

(In reality, you can translate this as: Trixie is finding ways of taking her mind of hearing back from agents with fulls but can't focus on new project so is looking at how to make project that's with agents even better ;-)

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I feel I have the voice and style side of things sorted (according to agents who've had my full m/s) but I'm worried I struggle with building a good plot and writing a decent ending.
In the most gripping novels strong characters drive strong plot, and between plot and style is the rich but for many, murky area called structure.

If you're worried about your plot, you should probably worry about your characters, their through-lines and scene structure too, because that's characters and through-lines make or break plots, and plots only work when the scene structure does.

And if you're worried about those then you'll have to come back later and revisit your expression -- because good expression is about bringing out the strengths in your characters, their through-lines and scene structure. If your prose isn't bringing that stuff out then it's not strong prose -- it may just be a pleasant voice.

I can suggest three books to help you look at these:
  1. Scene and Structure by Jack M. Bickham -- covers basic building-blocks of stories.
  2. How to Write a Damn Good Novel by James N. Frey -- useful for showing how good characters drive plot-creation; builds heavily on ideas from Bickham and on notions of through-lines.
  3. Stein on Writing by Sol Stein -- covers the critical connection between structure and prose.
There should be enough material across all three to cover the gaps.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would recommend Stein on Writing as well.

Maybe also Techniques of the Selling Writer by Dwight Swain. To me, the book is a little awkward to read, but it's packed full of information that you might find helpful.

Alina

Registered
Reaction score
Dittoing alleycat's recommendation of Techniques of the Selling Writer. I found that it has very useful advice about joining ideas and scenes to a plot.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the most gripping novels strong characters drive strong plot, and between plot and style is the rich but for many, murky area called structure.

If you're worried about your plot, you should probably worry about your characters, their through-lines and scene structure too, because that's characters and through-lines make or break plots, and plots only work when the scene structure does.

And if you're worried about those then you'll have to come back later and revisit your expression -- because good expression is about bringing out the strengths in your characters, their through-lines and scene structure. If your prose isn't bringing that stuff out then it's not strong prose -- it may just be a pleasant voice.

I can suggest three books to help you look at these:
  1. Scene and Structure by Jack M. Bickham -- covers basic building-blocks of stories.
  2. How to Write a Damn Good Novel by James N. Frey -- useful for showing how good characters drive plot-creation; builds heavily on ideas from Bickham and on notions of through-lines.
  3. Stein on Writing by Sol Stein -- covers the critical connection between structure and prose.
There should be enough material across all three to cover the gaps.

You have a point, sir. I'll see what the agents think (cos, after all, they're the ones in charge of my destiny right now - if a damn good one wants to rep me, then mebbe I don't need to worry about all of this) and go from there. Looks like Mr Fey is coming through quite strongly.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
The website Writer Unboxed is focusing on plot this month, including a breakdown of the 3 act structure, and some advice about how characters should drive the plot. As I'm currently plotting my first novel, I'm finding it really useful.

Last edited:

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The website Writer Unboxed is focusing on plot this month, including a breakdown of the 3 act structure, and some advice about how characters should drive the plot. As I'm currently plotting my first novel, I'm finding it really useful.

Thanks, this is SO useful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.