Keeping your sanity during the creative process (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Here's a talk by Elizabeth Gilbert (author of Eat, Pray, Love) on ways to think about the creative process while keeping your sanity intact and your ego in check. I found some good food for thought on managing creativity for the long haul. Enjoy!

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/453

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Bumping this up because I watched the video again and loved how powerful it was (to me). Has anyone else seen it?

JustDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deesjournal.wordpress.com
I LOVED this video. I keep babbling with a few of my close friends and my hubby about the whole "god moments" thing too - and no one gets it. I've actually seen several people that I think have sort of had that "transcendent" moment while performing/writing,/singing - it's so amazing to watch! That's the thing I find the most frustrating though - no one seems to GET what I'm talking about on that topic - am I just weird or maybe its just such a personal thing that you can't verbally express it to others? Dunno - but saw this video, loved it! Thanks for sharing it here!

(I'm a Ted addict in general as a rule - so many brilliant, creative minds - all working together to help move us forward/better the world around us - great stuff for the "soul" all the way around.)

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
Great video. That's an interesting way of looking at things. I've been doing something similar for years, because when I'm writing and I get stuck, I tend to have a discussion about my story with an imaginary 'accomplice', who usually gives me hints about where I should take the story. Crazy stuff... or maybe not. ;)

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkinganimaladdicts.com
Oh Liz....

I just finished watching the video, and it was quite powerful.

I have to say that I don't fully buy the idea that every desire or dream we'll ever have throughout life is because of some god-like omniscient presence. Part of that is because it seems to imply that nothing we do in life means anything because God did it all.

That hard work is irrelevant, and that everything we're good at is because of someone or something just out of sight. I refuse to believe that everything about life is predetermined.

When you think about the greatest horrors of life-

War
Racism
Genocide
Physical Abuse
Torture
Oppression
The list goes on…

Why is it healthier to think that someone just out of sight did this for kicks?

Having said that, at the end when she says that as long as you "show up" to your job, you deserve to have a sense of accomplishment, even if no one else appreciates it, it put a jolt through my heart to be as blunt and sincere as possible.

Lately I've been asking this question repeatedly in my head-

If nothing I write ever gets published, would I keep writing anyway?

Answer: There's a strong part of me, as much as I hate to admit it, that says NO.

The reason is that it highlights my greatest fear-

I'll never have another dream that I can make come true if this one dies.

Of all the things, I ever wanted to be-

Ballet Dancer (Yes I'm a guy, so screw any jokes you want to make of that)
Pianist
Professional Chef
Actor

Being a fiction writer was something that matters to me as much as dance, music, food, and movies.
It was also something I didn't want to give up on after a few months. It's taken four long years to get where I am now.

Yes, I know some have tried 70+ years and got nowhere, I get it, so please save it. The point is, I'm afraid that if this dream dies, there won't be another.

My greatest fear is that I'll be stuck with a job I HATE for the rest of my life, just to survive. I'll pay the bills, buy food, stand on my own two feet as the saying goes.

But would I be happy if all I did was survive?

Does no one understand that?:cry:

C.J.

P.S. In case you couldn't tell, I did find it helpful in some ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.