Anyone know the age limits of FBI field agents?

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
This is from their site:
To become an FBI Special Agentyou must be a U.S. citizen or a citizen of the Northern Mariana Islands. You must be at least 23 years of age, but younger than 37 upon your appointment as a Special Agent. You must possess a four-year degree from a college or university accredited by one of the regional or national institutional associations recognized by the United States Secretary of Education. You must have at least three years of professional work experience. You must also possess a valid driver's license and be completely available for assignment anywhere in the FBI's jurisdiction.

All applicants for the Special Agent position must first qualify under one of five Special Agent Entry Programs. These programs include:

Accounting
Computer Science/Information Technology
Language
Law
Diversified

Don't quote me, but I believe the SA's must pass strength/weight/agility requirements each year. It used to be that way, but the lawyers may have beat those requirements to death. I had a cousin who was a SA, he had to maintain the same waist size that he had when he left the academy, but that was years ago.
As long as you can keep up with the 30 year olds, I suppose you can stay on the job beyond beyond age 65. There are lots of desks that need people to occupy. An agent could alway spend his waning years working at a desk job.

vrabinec

Dipwad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vrabinec-fred.blogspot.com
This is from their site:

Don't quote me, but I believe the SA's must pass strength/weight/agility requirements each year. It used to be that way, but the lawyers may have beat those requirements to death. I had a cousin who was a SA, he had to maintain the same waist size that he had when he left the academy, but that was years ago.
As long as you can keep up with the 30 year olds, I suppose you can stay on the job beyond beyond age 65. There are lots of desks that need people to occupy. An agent could alway spend his waning years working at a desk job.

Yeah, saw that part. I needed to know whether they get kicked out at a certain age. I wanted to make my character as old as possible, but I think I'll stick to keeping him in the 50's, just to be safe. Thanks for the effort.

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
Mandatory retirement at 57. It's why you have to be hired by 37, so you can get a full 20 years. It's the same deal for all 1811 series (special agent) jobs in all federal law enforcement, such as the ATF, ICE, Secret Service, US Marshals, DEA, NCIS, and about a hundred others.

It's also the same deal for uniformed feds. It all has to do with 6(c) retirement programs.