Status
Not open for further replies.

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd guess this is a nightmare for all of us, and it certainly makes me paranoid. But I think a bit has sneaked into my wip which I'm almost certain has come from a film or book I can't identify, and would be very grateful if someone could confirm this.

It's a little exchange in the middle of a battle, in which one of the characters stands back-to-back with the M/C to protect him from attack from behind. The M/C says words to the effect of 'I hope that's you', and the other says 'Well, if it's not you're in trouble'.

To me this sounds a horribly familiar cliche, I'm almost sure I've seen or read it somewhere, but can't find the source, and Google's coming up blank. I'm going to cut it anyway rather than take the risk, but since my betas are in love with it I'd really like a good reason to justify its removal.

Please, can anyone tell me where it comes from? I think it's something desperately well-known and obvious, but my brain has died.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
quite honestly, ive seen that used in several movies and tv shows. just one of those wise cracks people make. i wouldn't worry that anyone's going to scream plagiarism. cant tell you exactly where ive seen it but i know ive seen it more than once.

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Nevada.

If you've seen it several times, then it's not just plagiarism it's a b****y cliche, and that's quite enough reason to cut it. Thank you very much for saving me!

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
lol you're welcome. maybe he can answer with a wise ass answer. "No, it's santa claus or your world's equivalent of such. still cliche but it'll get a laugh. lol

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
maybe he can answer with a wise ass answer. "No, it's santa claus or your world's equivalent of such.

Careful, I might plagiarise that! :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'd guess this is a nightmare for all of us, and it certainly makes me paranoid. But I think a bit has sneaked into my wip which I'm almost certain has come from a film or book I can't identify, and would be very grateful if someone could confirm this.

It's a little exchange in the middle of a battle, in which one of the characters stands back-to-back with the M/C to protect him from attack from behind. The M/C says words to the effect of 'I hope that's you', and the other says 'Well, if it's not you're in trouble'.

To me this sounds a horribly familiar cliche, I'm almost sure I've seen or read it somewhere, but can't find the source, and Google's coming up blank. I'm going to cut it anyway rather than take the risk, but since my betas are in love with it I'd really like a good reason to justify its removal.

Please, can anyone tell me where it comes from? I think it's something desperately well-known and obvious, but my brain has died.
I don't watch a lot of movies anymore, but cliche or not it's a good line to me, I like it.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Just watch out using.....lady garden and fizz....and poolting.

Those are SP's shared words in this forum. lol....

I play on using both someday....;)

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
i'd leave it in. It fits. Even if it is a common line, it works for that situation. I have a line in my book where a character says to another, after realizing what gender she is, "You're a girl!" and she answers with "Last I looked." I know it's not original, but it works where it is so I'm keeping it.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Just watch out using.....lady garden and fizz....and poolting.

Those are SP's shared words in this forum. lol....

I play on using both someday....;)

lol you mean pootling? i think that's actually a common scottish term. i could be wrong. pretty sure i'm not.

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Karen and Wayne, for making me feel better about it - I really appreciate that! But sadly it's got to go. The fact I fell back on cliche at that point is a sure warning sign I wasn't really working the scene through properly, and need to do better.

This, however,

after realizing what gender she is, "You're a girl!" and she answers with "Last I looked."

looks good to me. It's a perfectly appropriate crack - and it made me laugh. If it's been used before, so what? People do actually talk like that, and the laconic abbreviation makes it feel fresh. Mine's a more contrived set-up altogether and I am now loathing it... :eek:

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
i'd leave it in. It fits. Even if it is a common line, it works for that situation. I have a line in my book where a character says to another, after realizing what gender she is, "You're a girl!" and she answers with "Last I looked." I know it's not original, but it works where it is so I'm keeping it.

In my next serial the MC realizes a male-looking character is female when said male-looking character falls atop her during a fight and is revealed to have breasts. "You're--you're a girl!" my MC will exclaim--then said newly revealed girl will jump up and commence attacking her again.

Not quite the same, but along the same lines. :D

CarnalPIE

... instead I sleep.
Registered
Reaction score
I watch a ton of movies and TV shows and I don't remember seeing those lines quite like that before, so I think you're cool. It's good, keep it.

Now if you'd had two characters laying together and one suddenly says "Sir?" and the other says "it's my sidearm, I swear." then you'd be in trouble! /Stargate SG1

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, Karen and Wayne, for making me feel better about it - I really appreciate that! But sadly it's got to go. The fact I fell back on cliche at that point is a sure warning sign I wasn't really working the scene through properly, and need to do better.
:eek:

You're going to strive to make yourself a better writer! Just promise to remember me on your way up the ladder.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
But what about your characters? Maybe they like using cliches. :D
QFT.

I use cliches playfully all the time.When they told my mom she was dying we all sat there batting around a bunch of phylisophical cliches and when I got tired of it I said "Well, at least you got your health"

When we all stopped laughing she seemed to have gotten past the origional devastation. Bad cliche, good result.

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
But what about your characters? Maybe they like using cliches. :D

That's a really good point, Matera - but unfortunately my characters are in the 17th century and I rather doubt it was a cliche then.

I knew writing historicals was a bad idea...

P.S. And I'm trying to send a PM to Wayne but his *%$£"&* message box is full...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.