Profile question

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a curious lurker and serial profile checker and I read all of your work. My newest curiousity is people. Anyway, I notice a lot of you answer profile questions with "Not enough room"
If you could expand on one profile question which would it be, and what would be your answer?

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
And I'd like to know why people don't give their location. As a traveller who is planning to journey further, I'd like to know who might be there. For instance I'm off to Fiji in a couple of months' time - Levuka and Savusavu. Any AWers live there?

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
You obviously haven't checked mine then; I have bugger all on it :D
I do have lots of stuff on the internet, including my own site about my writings, a fan site for my favourite actor, and I am also very involved with a few other sites, including the dreaded Facebook. I would actually like to put my personal stuff on here, but alas, I can't :Shrug:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I hate when someone is the first person to answer their own question, but here goes:

The profile lead up "Most people don't know that I...?" is the one that bothers me because there can be such a lengthy answer there for me. I think the writer part of me wants to be heard, and everything I write expresses that want. I think I have a lot to say after all these years and I think I've found a great way of expressing it(Okay sometimes it's great, sometimes it's Volgon poetry). I'd also like to go into great detail about my answer "I am a sociopath" because it's not a facetious answer.

Last edited:

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
Wayne, I suppose there's only short answer things because the owners probably think we have blogs and everything already on the net and so don't really need a lot of space on here. There again, most forum sites don't have that much space for personal bits.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Most people don't know that I...?"

And they still don't. And that's the way I prefer it.;)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'm the complete opposite. I rarely check out anyone's profile. I like not knowing anything about a person. Allows me to evaluate their posts more objectively.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Is this coming across as creepy? I ask because my wife tells me that people freak out about cyber stalkers, and other stuff I didn't understand. I only do it out of interest. I write memoirs so to me People=books.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...not at all, Wayne. Most members check out profiles, I'd say. That's what they're there for.

SomeoneElse

Registered
Reaction score
Since I'm new here, but not new to the Internet or forums, I've been peeking at the profiles. It gives me a bit of insight. Some people are dead serious when answering the questions, like they were some sort of test and they get points for accuracy. Some people let their more whimsical side show through and answer like it was a contest for who could be the funniest in such a small space. Either way, I've learned something more about a very large group of total strangers.

In my real life, when I meet someone new, I have them standing in front of me and can, at least, determine their gender right off the bat. I can see if they are serious or humorous, if they prefer facts or humor, and many other little fun things.

Here, y'all are just a bunch of the same font. So without peeking at the profile, I'm floundering more than I need to. So I peek. Sometimes I smile, sometimes I nod.

I believe there is only so much room because a database works that way. Whatever the space is, whether used or not, it is allocated. For each and every user. If they gave much larger spaces, the database storing the information would be HUGEr.

I enjoy the profiles and after being here for a time, I may even stop reading them. Or not. They are fun.

SE

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I rarely check profiles unless somebody's post has given me pause or pissed me off.

It's funny how often I'm surprised at their gender. Both women and men seem to like hot chicks as their avatar. When the avatar's a good-looking man, it can be either someone the user lusts after, or someone he identifies with. I'm so confused.

The way I figure, the AW profile isn't a biography. We neither expect or want to read your life story and personal views here. It's just a little snippet where those who choose to share a little about themselves can do so, and others can leave blanks or tell lies.

Maryn, liar

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I've never been called a font before, lots of other things, yes, one of them even sounding a little like font, but never actually a font :D :roll:

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
I look just like my avatar, except about 25-30 yrs older :tongue

Maryn is a very nice lady :)

Last edited:

SomeoneElse

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, once I read your profile, you were more than a mere font. I'm not sure you were up to an italicized font, however LOL

I'm not sure a curriculum vitea is really needed over there. But it is nice to better know you. Honest. :D

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
:D Oi, cheeky! I think I'm going to like you :) And it I don't Italicize myself, then who else is going to, eh? :D :tongue

Honestly, once I read your profile, you were more than a mere font. I'm not sure you were up to an italicized font, however LOL

:DI'm not sure a curriculum vitea is really needed over there. But it is nice to better know you. Honest.