PDA

View Full Version : Profile question

Wayne K
02-22-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm a curious lurker and serial profile checker and I read all of your work. My newest curiousity is people. Anyway, I notice a lot of you answer profile questions with "Not enough room"
If you could expand on one profile question which would it be, and what would be your answer?

Mumut
02-22-2009, 03:33 PM
And I'd like to know why people don't give their location. As a traveller who is planning to journey further, I'd like to know who might be there. For instance I'm off to Fiji in a couple of months' time - Levuka and Savusavu. Any AWers live there?

sadron
02-22-2009, 03:40 PM
I don't know what it would be.

Samantha's_Song
02-22-2009, 03:57 PM
You obviously haven't checked mine then; I have bugger all on it :D
I do have lots of stuff on the internet, including my own site about my writings, a fan site for my favourite actor, and I am also very involved with a few other sites, including the dreaded Facebook. I would actually like to put my personal stuff on here, but alas, I can't :Shrug:

Wayne K
02-22-2009, 04:00 PM
I hate when someone is the first person to answer their own question, but here goes:

The profile lead up "Most people don't know that I...?" is the one that bothers me because there can be such a lengthy answer there for me. I think the writer part of me wants to be heard, and everything I write expresses that want. I think I have a lot to say after all these years and I think I've found a great way of expressing it(Okay sometimes it's great, sometimes it's Volgon poetry). I'd also like to go into great detail about my answer "I am a sociopath" because it's not a facetious answer.

Samantha's_Song
02-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Wayne, I suppose there's only short answer things because the owners probably think we have blogs and everything already on the net and so don't really need a lot of space on here. There again, most forum sites don't have that much space for personal bits.

Mr Flibble
02-22-2009, 04:14 PM
"Most people don't know that I...?"

Quite enough room for mine. And it's accurate too.

Bufty
02-22-2009, 04:18 PM
"Most people don't know that I...?"

And they still don't. And that's the way I prefer it.;)

Ken
02-22-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm the complete opposite. I rarely check out anyone's profile. I like not knowing anything about a person. Allows me to evaluate their posts more objectively.

Wayne K
02-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Is this coming across as creepy? I ask because my wife tells me that people freak out about cyber stalkers, and other stuff I didn't understand. I only do it out of interest. I write memoirs so to me People=books.

Mr Flibble
02-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Just looking at profiles isn't creepy - we put the info we want on there after all.

However if you're following me around the net, I'm creeped out :D

Ken
02-22-2009, 05:38 PM
...not at all, Wayne. Most members check out profiles, I'd say. That's what they're there for.

SomeoneElse
02-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Since I'm new here, but not new to the Internet or forums, I've been peeking at the profiles. It gives me a bit of insight. Some people are dead serious when answering the questions, like they were some sort of test and they get points for accuracy. Some people let their more whimsical side show through and answer like it was a contest for who could be the funniest in such a small space. Either way, I've learned something more about a very large group of total strangers.

In my real life, when I meet someone new, I have them standing in front of me and can, at least, determine their gender right off the bat. I can see if they are serious or humorous, if they prefer facts or humor, and many other little fun things.

Here, y'all are just a bunch of the same font. So without peeking at the profile, I'm floundering more than I need to. So I peek. Sometimes I smile, sometimes I nod.

I believe there is only so much room because a database works that way. Whatever the space is, whether used or not, it is allocated. For each and every user. If they gave much larger spaces, the database storing the information would be HUGEr.

I enjoy the profiles and after being here for a time, I may even stop reading them. Or not. They are fun.

SE

Maryn
02-22-2009, 06:04 PM
I rarely check profiles unless somebody's post has given me pause or pissed me off.

It's funny how often I'm surprised at their gender. Both women and men seem to like hot chicks as their avatar. When the avatar's a good-looking man, it can be either someone the user lusts after, or someone he identifies with. I'm so confused.

The way I figure, the AW profile isn't a biography. We neither expect or want to read your life story and personal views here. It's just a little snippet where those who choose to share a little about themselves can do so, and others can leave blanks or tell lies.

Maryn, liar

Samantha's_Song
02-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Wow, I've never been called a font before, lots of other things, yes, one of them even sounding a little like font, but never actually a font :D :roll:

Samantha's_Song
02-22-2009, 06:10 PM
I look just like my avatar, except about 25-30 yrs older :tongue

Maryn is a very nice lady :)

SomeoneElse
02-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Honestly, once I read your profile, you were more than a mere font. I'm not sure you were up to an italicized font, however LOL

I'm not sure a curriculum vitea is really needed over there. But it is nice to better know you. Honest. :D

Samantha's_Song
02-22-2009, 06:16 PM
:D Oi, cheeky! I think I'm going to like you :) And it I don't Italicize myself, then who else is going to, eh? :D :tongue

Honestly, once I read your profile, you were more than a mere font. I'm not sure you were up to an italicized font, however LOL

:DI'm not sure a curriculum vitea is really needed over there. But it is nice to better know you. Honest.

TheRightEyedDeer
02-22-2009, 06:20 PM
If I were truly a font, it would have to be dingbats.

Samantha's_Song
02-22-2009, 06:27 PM
I'd be Trebuchet, because I like anything that's French.

If I were truly a font, it would have to be dingbats.

SomeoneElse
02-22-2009, 06:47 PM
I would be plain old arial. Probably a size huge, tho. :P

Samantha's_Song
02-22-2009, 07:07 PM
And BOLD :tongue

I would be plain old arial. Probably a size huge, tho. :P

SomeoneElse
02-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Unfortunately, I would probably be too bold, as well :)

Mr Flibble
02-22-2009, 07:26 PM
I think I'd be wingdings.

Wayne K
02-22-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm so confused.
I'm not. Look at it.

dpaterso
02-22-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm disappointed that so few of you include your bank account and credit card details.

-Derek

Angie
02-22-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm disappointed that so few of you include your bank account and credit card details.

-Derek

You'd be really disappointed if you got ahold of mine, anyway. :Shrug:

brad_b
02-22-2009, 09:49 PM
As stated earlier, profiles are snippets of life... there is so much not seen in profiles and the more I get to know some of the people here, the more depth of character emerges. We all have a story about life and living, and that only comes out over time. I read profiles mainly to get an idea what people think of themselves and their world... and many are very interesting and funny. All in all... it's a start.

stormie
02-22-2009, 09:58 PM
I rarely check profiles unless somebody's post has given me pause or pissed me off.

Done that, too. Gives me more insight toward whom I'm dealing with.:box: :D

It's just a little snippet where those who choose to share a little about themselves can do so, and others can leave blanks or tell lies.

I love being facetious. Great fun! But I haven't even looked at my own profile lately. Don't remember if it's a bunch of lies, lengthy truths, or what. I should check my own profile out, now that I think of it.

rhymegirl
02-22-2009, 10:05 PM
I'd also like to go into great detail about my answer "I am a sociopath" because it's not a facetious answer.

Uh oh. You're not really Hannibal Lecter, are you?

Samantha's_Song
02-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Yikes! Wayne's on my buddy list, but I just hope he never invites me around for dinner! :D

Bayou Bill
02-22-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm a curious lurker and serial profile checker and I read all of your work. My newest curiousity is people. Anyway, I notice a lot of you answer profile questions with "Not enough room"
If you could expand on one profile question which would it be...?

I Write...: ...fiction

...and what would be your answer?

...and non-fiction

And I'd like to know why people don't give their location. As a traveller who is planning to journey further, I'd like to know who might be there.

Just FWIW, I do - see LOCATION. I'm sure others worry about stalkers.

Biography:I've been hatched, matched, and am now well on my way to being dispatched.

Sex: Male

I write...: ...fiction

Interests: writing, sports, recreational sex

Outline or no outline?: depends

Best quality: I'm brave, clean, thrifty, and reverent

Worst quality: I lie -- a lot

Favorite writers: Faulkner, Hemingway, Steinbeck, Walter Mosley, Alan Furst, Raymond Chandler

Favorite books: The Great Gatsby, The Sun Also Rises, Tortilla Flat, Shogun, The Red Badge of Courage

Best piece of advice: It's "I" before "E" except after "C" or when sounded as "A" as in neighbor or weigh

Ultimate writing dream: Have a novel published

Most people don't know that I...: ...don't care what they know

If I ruled the world...: ...we'd be in a world of hurt

Bayou Bill :cool:

Wayne K
02-22-2009, 10:47 PM
I Write...: ...fiction

...and non-fiction

Just FWIW, I do - see LOCATION. I'm sure others worry about stalkers.

Biography:I've been hatched, matched, and am now well on my way to being dispatched.

Sex: Male

I write...: ...fiction

Interests: writing, sports, recreational sex

Outline or no outline?: depends

Worst quality: I lie -- a lot

Favorite writers: Faulkner, Hemingway, Steinbeck, Walter Mosley, Alan Furst, Raymond Chandler

Favorite books: The Great Gatsby, The Sun Also Rises, Tortilla Flat, Shogun, The Red Badge of Courage

Best piece of advice: It's "I" before "E" except after "C" or when sounded as "A" as in neighbor or weigh

Ultimate writing dream: Have a novel published

Most people don't know that I...: ...don't care what they know

If I ruled the world...: ...we'd be in a world of hurt

I've read all of your favorite books. That's why I like reading these things, it's interesting.

Bayou Bill
02-22-2009, 11:53 PM
I've read all of your favorite books. That's why I like reading these things, it's interesting.
Wayne, it's obvious we both have excellent taste in literature. However, those are just all the favorites books I listed. :rolleyes:

I seldom look at profiles but do enjoy having the info available. And while I sometimes wish it was a bit more extensive, some folks are a bit skittish about putting personal info on the web.

There's not much about me one can't find on the web such as this photo of the house my grandfather built and where I lived until ten.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/124/359343395_8d50184c4f_m.jpg

M.R.J. Le Blanc
02-23-2009, 12:22 AM

-Derek

Are you really that desperate for fifty cents? :ROFL:

Wayne K
02-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Wayne, it's obvious we both have excellent taste in literature. However, those are just all the favorites books I listed. :rolleyes:

I seldom look at profiles but do enjoy having the info available. And while I sometimes wish it was a bit more extensive, some folks are a bit skittish about putting personal info on the web.

There's not much about me one can't find on the web such as this photo of the house my grandfather built and where I lived until ten.

What people read makes me want to know what they write.

SomeoneElse
02-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Who has bank accounts?

And what does it mean when I read Dear Abby, Annie's Mailbox, and the National Enquirer?

Was that too much information?

Medievalist
02-23-2009, 01:17 AM
I'd also like to go into great detail about my answer "I am a sociopath" because it's not a facetious answer.

Put it in a Web page, and put a URL in the Profile field.

willfulone
02-23-2009, 01:21 AM
I do not read profiles unless I am in the "outrageous lies" thread with them and wish to find something to snap on someone for. OR, I may if engaged in a discussion on board or in PMs with a person. Other than that, I do not read profiles. Just their hellos to find out what a member is about.

Christine

Kathleen42
02-23-2009, 01:40 AM

Same here.

Samantha's_Song
02-23-2009, 03:16 AM
I'm not going to ask if you two ladies looked at mine at any time... :D

Matera the Mad
02-23-2009, 07:05 AM
heehee
I am more likely to peek a profile if I want to find more posts for whatever reason. If someone pees me off enough, I may cyberstalk just for laughs. :tongue

Silver King
02-23-2009, 09:08 AM
I keep meaning to update my profile. So far, I have a friend's eye in there a nice little poem. They both mean more to me than anything else I have to share.

BenPanced
02-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Why update a profile here on AW when everybody's got LiveJournal, MySpace, Facebook, or all of the above? More than enough information on those three sources.

SouthernFriedJulie
02-23-2009, 09:53 AM

Worst quality: I lie -- a lot[B]

Anyone else getting a laugh out of the lying coming AFTER those qualities? Hm?

Don't tell me you bravely took a shower with the cheap soap before church, I'll never believe you now.

It's 1 am, not at my wittiest

Wayne K
02-23-2009, 11:32 AM
I didn't shoot that high.

Mr Flibble
02-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Why update a profile here on AW when everybody's got LiveJournal, MySpace, Facebook, or all of the above? More than enough information on those three sources.

I haven't

SomeoneElse
02-23-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't have any of the social pages, I don't click thru to any of the social pages. I have clicked thru to a couple blogs and websites, but not too many. I have read several, maybe even many profiles.

I'm not really looking for information. What we write gives insight more than information. One's favorite Muppet is hardly important, but the answers are meaningful if I choose to give them meaning.

Since I don't link to my blog or website, you are stuck with whatever I put in the profile, if you care at all. :(

But it's all I'm going to do for now. Not that it really matters. I'm here as Someone Else, so I'm not really me anyway.

Bayou Bill
02-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Anyone else getting a laugh out of the lying coming AFTER those qualities? Hm?

Don't tell me you bravely took a shower with the cheap soap before church, I'll never believe you now.

It's 1 am, not at my wittiest
Shower? What shower? :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-23-2009, 04:35 PM
We have profiles?

Bayou Bill
02-23-2009, 04:40 PM
We have profiles?
Be vewy, vewy quiet. We aw hunting pwofiles.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/ellroon/Elmer_Fudd_A_Wild_Hare.jpg

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Lemme know when you catch one... I wanna see what it looks like.

rhymegirl
02-23-2009, 06:33 PM
I didn't shoot that high.

Okay. That's good.

So, then, what is YOUR definition of a sociopath? (I am curious)

SomeoneElse
02-23-2009, 07:20 PM
We have profiles?

only if you turn sideways. ;)

Wayne K
02-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Okay. That's good.

So, then, what is YOUR definition of a sociopath? (I am curious)
A sociopath is someone who feels nothing for people
[LIST=1]
Callous unconcern for the feelings of others and lack of the capacity for empathy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy).

I'm feeling much better now. Today I use this power for good.

writerterri
02-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Is this coming across as creepy? I ask because my wife tells me that people freak out about cyber stalkers, and other stuff I didn't understand. I only do it out of interest. I write memoirs so to me People=books.

I've never been cyber stalked. *sigh*

I was stalked in real life though. I was shot at twice by some crazed man who wanted what he couldn't have.

It was exciting!

Or not.

Did you read mine?

Samantha's_Song
02-23-2009, 09:28 PM
So does that go for your wife too? She must be very understanding :)

A sociopath is someone who feels nothing for people[list=1]
Callous unconcern for the feelings of others and lack of the capacity for empathy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy).

I'm feeling much better now. Today I use this power for good.

Wayne K
02-23-2009, 09:49 PM
So does that go for your wife too? She must be very understanding :)
It took me 360 pages to tell the story, and I batted it back and forth with Jack David at ECWPress for eight months. I think it's done well, everyone does, I honestly think it's going to happen. Even if I get published, the wife is the best part of me, so I guess I did better than I should have.

Beach Bunny
02-24-2009, 03:19 AM
If you could expand on one profile question which would it be, and what would be your answer?

Jeez, Wayne you could have just sent me a pm and asked. The answer is "Too many for this tiny box". The question was favorite books.

Favorite authors would probably be more revealing than book titles. And it would still be too many for that tiny little box. So, here they are in no particular order or genre: Robert Ludlum, Tom Clancy, Ken Follet, W. E. B. Griffin, Leon Uris, James Michener, Clavell, Nora Roberts, Stephanie Laurens, Jayne Anne Krentz AKA Amanda Quick AKA Jayne Castle, Elizabeth Lowell, Anne McCaffrey, Jane Austen, Janet Evanovich, Lisa Kleypas, Julie Garwood, Catherine Coulter, Fern Michaels, Carly Philips, Christina Dodd, Jane Feather, Christine Skye, Johanna Lyndsey, Mary Balogh, Susan Elizabeth Philips, Sydney Sheldon, J. K. Rowling. Terry Brooks, and Terry Pratchett .... And a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head. And that doesn't include classic literature. :)

I'm always on the hunt for a new favorite author. :)

I hate when someone is the first person to answer their own question, but here goes:

The profile lead up "Most people don't know that I...?" is the one that bothers me because there can be such a lengthy answer there for me. I think the writer part of me wants to be heard, and everything I write expresses that want. I think I have a lot to say after all these years and I think I've found a great way of expressing it(Okay sometimes it's great, sometimes it's Volgon poetry). I'd also like to go into great detail about my answer "I am a sociopath" because it's not a facetious answer.

It's not a facetious answer, but just for the record peeps, Wayne is NOT a sociopath.

And Wayne, sweetie, you need to stop thinking of yourself that way. :)

-Derek

:ROFL: ... Are you that hard up for money? Maybe you should think about writing a book or something and maybe getting it published. :e2file:

OMG, that looks like MY grandfather's house. I hope we're not cousins, that would be too weird.

WittyWordsmith
02-24-2009, 04:03 AM
I love looking at profiles. Mostly what prompts the peeking is to verify gender, but I do enjoy reading what people have put there. I'm like that, though.

I'm the kind of person who drives down the road and imagines the lives of the people who have lights on in the house. Always been that way, just curious.

Samantha's_Song
02-24-2009, 04:09 AM
Me too. I also sit outside cafés and watch the world go by, picking people out for scrutiny and putting their life together inside of my head.

I'm the kind of person who drives down the road and imagines the lives of the people who have lights on in the house. Always been that way, just curious.

Angie
02-24-2009, 05:05 AM
I looked at my profile today for the first time since I filled it out. I don't check other people's profiles very often either. Dunno why. :Shrug:

Wayne K
02-24-2009, 01:32 PM
It's not a facetious answer, but just for the record peeps, Wayne is NOT a sociopath.

And Wayne, sweetie, you need to stop thinking of yourself that way. :)

I said I was better.

Beach Bunny
02-24-2009, 09:35 PM
I said I was better.
:Hug2:

Wayne K
02-24-2009, 10:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g