Do you want to be a famous bestselling author?

Do you want fans?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HikariDawn

Registered
Reaction score
Do you want to be a famous, best selling author? Do you want fans? You want your book to be a movie?

Why or why not?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would simply like my story to be published and read by those for whom I wrote it.

After that - Que sera, sera.

Reaction score
I vote yes. Dream big. I want money, fame, adoration, groupies, the lot.

Why settle for less?

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, of course.
Do you want to be a famous, best selling author?

I want people to buy and like my novels, if ever I'm published, but I don't want adoring fans, stalkers, and people who are going to invade my space.
Do you want fans?

Yes, and I even know whom I want to play the male lead.
You want your book to be a movie?

Because I'd like to prove to myself that I can do something worthwhile with my life and my writing. Because I could live the kind of life I've been dreaming about for many years; what I want is quite simple, but hard to get with my present situation. I want a small place in Paris and to be able to sit outside of Parisian cafés in the afternoons and write on my laptop as I watch the world going by.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm doing this because beneath this rough exterior, I just want to be loved.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to become a best-selling author, I'm also a screenwriter so of course I'd like to see my works in movie form as well, I would love to have the movie not so I can have a bunch of stuff but so I can help out when family needs me, so I can travel and see new things, and not worry about bills.

I would love to have my name known and have people clawing for my books, I do not, however, want to be famous in the hollywood sense where the cameras follow me around and crazed fans and such. I want my life to be relatively quiet with little outside interference. I want them to love my work and actively seek my work, but not actively seek me.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Yes to the bestseller and the movie (I want the $$$!). No to the fame. I want people to know my stories, not me. That's one nice thing about being a writer: people may recognize your name, but for the most part they won't recognize your face.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Do you want to be a famous, best selling author? Do you want fans? You want your book to be a movie?

Why or why not?

I'd love to be a famous, best selling author.

As for fans, I doubt my stuff would attract the type of fans that certain authors who write books about girls falling in love with vampires, have. . But, if they're fans who just like to wait for the next book to come out then, yup, I can live with that.

It's not really movie material, more of a BBC series. Like Samantha's Song, I know who I'd love to play the lead and I'd love Russell T Davies write the script.:D

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I want to be invited to sing with the Rock Bottom Remainders. That'd be teh coolest.

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to have my name known and have people clawing for my books, I do not, however, want to be famous in the hollywood sense where the cameras follow me around and crazed fans and such. I want my life to be relatively quiet with little outside interference. I want them to love my work and actively seek my work, but not actively seek me.

Similar notion here. We're quite a private family and so i'd love to be successful but be able to carry on living in our little town without anyone being any the wiser.

SomeoneElse

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not so interested in fans. What I would like is a publisher and perhaps a reader or two. Maybe a dozen, even.

But fans? Not so much.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Of course I want to be a bestselling author. Why wouldn't I?

I want fans, if by that you mean people who will snap up my latest book as soon as it comes out and tell all their friends to buy it. But I have no particular desire to be famous. They can feel quite free to leave my picture off the cover. I could handle having the occasional person come up to me and say, "Aren't you so-and-so?" but as a daily lifestyle it would be a real drag.

But first things first. Getting an agent would be a good first step.

Reaction score
I wouldn't call that pressure at all.

When it comes to speed, one book a year would be a piece of piss. I could write that in a couple of months.

When it comes to quality of said books - I don't believe in writer's block. The only way to improve is to write, and I work well against a deadline. If what I wrote at first wasn't up to scratch, I'd correct it quick smart. I'm not one for angsting over a sentence for months on end. "Gerronwi' gerrin' it writ!" as someone once said. ;)

The only reason I take to long to finish things these days is I don't have a deadline and so have no immediate, pressing need to get to 'the end' beyond my own desire to finish.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...not much point in wanting what can't be.
So in answer to the OP, no.
I do want to have a novel published, one day, though.
Even if it only sells three copies I'd still be ---> :)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want to be able to quit my day job, and have a career I love. Even that's asking a lot, though :)

Reaction score
And slow is not necessarily better.
Hitler.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.