• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Hacker site] VipraSys

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
I'm always enlightened by the number of graphic novels and art books that can be had on peer-to-peer networks.

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
If anyone here sees one of their books on the site, they should send an email to Copyrightclaims AT Godaddy.com, in accordance with this:

http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/legal_agreements/show_doc.asp?se=+&pageid=TRADMARK_COPY

It's the typical DCMA stuff; you have to say you're the copyright holder and verify you didn't give permission.

GoDaddy currently hosts this site, and they are generally very proactive about these things.

A writer's biggest problem isn't piracy; it's obscurity.

Sorry, Uncle Jim, but I completely disagree.

Yes, obscurity is a bigger problem, certainly. But I really have a hard time understanding how anyone can just shrug their shoulders at this while bookstores and publishers lay people off and teeter on the edge of bankruptcy (as with Borders.) It's very easy to say "Those people wouldn't have bought the books anyway," but that doesn't make it true. How do you know they wouldn't have? I'm sure a percentage of them wouldn't have, but a percentage of them also might. And yes, for some books giving away free copies increases sales. But not all the books being pirated are print books. Some are ebooks--there's pages and pages of listing from EC there--and those books do not exist in any other form. When you download the pirated ebook you possess the book in the only format in which it is available, period.

Not to mention copyright theft is a crime, plain and simple. And it's one I believe no writer should shrug at. We all know about genericized trademarks. Isn't it just possible that if we don't defend our copyrights eventually we will lose them? I'm tired of being told a criminal act is no big deal and it's dumb of me to get upset about it. And I'm tired of writers who seem to think that since ebooks aren't "real" books anyway, ebook authors should just quit worrying when they're being stolen from. Ebook sales offer much higher royalties but a (generally) lower number of sales. If people can get my ebooks for free they won't buy them, and each of those books is worth anywhere from $1.20 to $2.50 or so to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genericized_trademark

Last edited:

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Not to mention copyright theft is a crime, plain and simple. And it's one I believe no writer should shrug at. We all know about genericized trademarks. Isn't it just possible that if we don't defend our copyrights eventually we will lose them? I'm tired of being told a criminal act is no big deal and it's dumb of me to get upset about it. And I'm tired of writers who seem to think that since ebooks aren't "real" books anyway, ebook authors should just quit worrying when they're being stolen from. Ebook sales offer much higher royalties but a (generally) lower number of sales. If people can get my ebooks for free they won't buy them, and each of those books is worth anywhere from $1.20 to $2.50 or so to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genericized_trademark

Agreed! I am going to have an ebook released soon (hopefully soon; I don't have a release date yet), and I figure I'll need all the sales I can get.

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Uncle Jim, but I completely disagree.

Yes, obscurity is a bigger problem, certainly. But I really have a hard time understanding how anyone can just shrug their shoulders at this while bookstores and publishers lay people off and teeter on the edge of bankruptcy (as with Borders.) It's very easy to say "Those people wouldn't have bought the books anyway," but that doesn't make it true. How do you know they wouldn't have? I'm sure a percentage of them wouldn't have, but a percentage of them also might. And yes, for some books giving away free copies increases sales. But not all the books being pirated are print books. Some are ebooks--there's pages and pages of listing from EC there--and those books do not exist in any other form. When you download the pirated ebook you possess the book in the only format in which it is available, period.

This. Exactly. It royally chaps my buns to see my ebooks pirated on these sites. I work hard and deserve to have my work protected. It's theft, plain and simple.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
My ebooks have yet to show up on any pirate site. I don't know if I should be happy or worried. ;)

Requests for mine turned up less than a week after it released ( thanks Google Alerts!). I'm not sure whether to take it as a compliment...But thanks for the link DQ. *hurries off to fill it in*

ETA: I noticed that viprasys has been suspended for spam and abuse :D

Last edited:

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
I can't get through either. All three of my books are available in regular and e-book format. I'll keep trying but my guess is the effort to redress this issue will be more costly in $$$ and time than I want to spend.

Besides, anyone can buy an e-copy and then reproduce and sell it multiple times. Some of these sites are peer-to-peer and require membership and I'm unwilling to join just so see if my books are listed.

This runs in tandem with resellers selling my books on amazon. I don't get a dime from those sales. But then again I wouldn't profit if they end up in yard sales either.
C

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Worked for me and HOLY amount of books and requests for them!

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Okay, I really hate to bring this thread back up, but I also really am not comfortable getting email after email after email about it either.

I DID NOT GET VIPRASYS SHUT DOWN.

I had NOTHING to do with it.

Under DCMA law, ONLY the copyright holder can file a claim. Viprasys was not pirating any of my work; therefore I couldn't legally file a claim. Therefore I did NOT file a claim.

Okay? I didn't do it. Please stop PMing me and emailing me and commenting on my blog that this site is back up with a different host or whatever; I CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If you haven't already, please forward any and all such PMs, email, etc. to MacAllister.

This goes for everyone else, too.

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
I just got the alert for my book here too, but you can't post in their forum or email the adminstrator of course. I finally found a moderator that I sent a message to, politely asking for my book files to be removed. We'll see.