Knitters, I need you

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
It seems I require a pair of knitting needles by 6 pm this evening. Sometime among finishing work and taking the bus to my car, picking up my son, and ordering pizza for the family, I have to buy a pair.

So, oh sages, where in heck does one buy knitting needles? Does Wal-mart or other similar stores carry them? If so, in what section?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I don't know about Wal-Mart, but if you have a JoAnn's or a Michaels nearby, they sell them.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I don't know if Wal*Mart sells them, but if they did, you'd probably find them with yarn and/or sewing/craft type stuff.

If not, do you have a Michael's or an AC Moore near you? They have entire sections devoted to yarn and knitting/crocheting - and the ones here are pretty well marked.

Happy hunting!

:D

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I have a Michaels, but not nearby. This is my first, and very likely my last, knitting emergency.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you require them? Weaponry? Get the metal ones. You can sharpen those.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
Walmart, in the craft section. Usually a large area so if you're in a hurry just ask someone.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I require them because, apparently, tonight I'm learning how to knit. But if I don't like it, and I have the metal ones, I guess I could just injure someone instead. Thankfully, I'm bringing two bottle of wine with me, so I might not much care.

If Walmart has the blasted things, I'm golden. If not... I dunno.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Yes, it's relaxing. Until you mess up and have to undo a bunch of rows. Grrrrr.....

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Someone's giving you a surprise knitting lesson? Cool. :D

I love knitting - it's very relaxing.
It's not exactly a surprise because, as far as I know, I know about it. :)

I belong to a ladies cooking group. For the past couple of years we've got together every other month on a Friday night and cooked a meal together. Now we're starting to do other things too, like cooking lessons, pottery, and now this knitting thing. Tonight we're eating beef stew, drinking wine, and knitting with friends. It should be fun, actually! I haven't knitted since I was a kid.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Target doesn't have crafts, so no knitting needles. Wal-Mart, back with the fabrics and yarns, is your best bet. If there's a Ben Franklin, it might have them, but these are all independently owned now, so individual stores vary a lot in their inventory.

What about a yarn shop? Where are you? There are a bunch of online directories of shops. Try this one: http://www.knitscene.com/shops.asp

Can you call one of the others who does knit and ask them to bring an extra pair?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Update

Got the knitting needles in the crafts section at Walmart. Thanks all for the help!

Unfortunately, the friend who was supposed to come and show us how to knit... FORGOT and never showed up.

So, what do four resourceful, modern ladies do in the face of adversity? We YouTube'd it! Yes folks, we taught ourselves how to knit by watching a how-to video online. :D

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, what do four resourceful, modern ladies do in the face of adversity? We YouTube'd it! Yes folks, we taught ourselves how to knit by watching a how-to video online. :D

So what did you make?
What colour is it?
Have you finished it?
What's next?
curious cats want to know >''<

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Run awayyyyyyy!!! knitting is highly addictive and pretty soon that Red Heart worsted weight you got at walmart for a buck a ball isn't going to cut it and you're at specialty knitting stores buying $10 a ball(very small ball) hand-wash only cashmere for baby clothes. yes, i am a victim of the knitting addiction. fortunately it goes in waves and right now i'm safe but i watched the videos on the knitting website and i though, hmmm i still have that beautiful lavender cashmere. i should go get it from storage and knit something.

Whatever you do, do not flip through the Debbie Bliss baby pattern books at teh bookstore because you'll be knitting for imaginary babies, hinting to all your friends that they need to get preggers so you'll have someone to give those adorable baby lamb booties too. oh and you just have to knit that precious baby bear onesie. oh yes, my friend, knitting is a dangerous thing to get into.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Listen to nevada's warnings. I didn't get into the baby clothes, but oh boy did I get into the fancy yarns. Once you feel merino wool or silk/mohair sliding across your fingers, you'll never go back.