PDA

View Full Version : Knitters, I need you

CaroGirl
02-20-2009, 10:56 PM
It seems I require a pair of knitting needles by 6 pm this evening. Sometime among finishing work and taking the bus to my car, picking up my son, and ordering pizza for the family, I have to buy a pair.

So, oh sages, where in heck does one buy knitting needles? Does Wal-mart or other similar stores carry them? If so, in what section?

Bubastes
02-20-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't know about Wal-Mart, but if you have a JoAnn's or a Michaels nearby, they sell them.

regdog
02-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Target

Jersey Chick
02-20-2009, 11:06 PM
I don't know if Wal*Mart sells them, but if they did, you'd probably find them with yarn and/or sewing/craft type stuff.

If not, do you have a Michael's or an AC Moore near you? They have entire sections devoted to yarn and knitting/crocheting - and the ones here are pretty well marked.

Happy hunting!

:D

CaroGirl
02-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks. I have a Michaels, but not nearby. This is my first, and very likely my last, knitting emergency.

Unique
02-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Why do you require them? Weaponry? Get the metal ones. You can sharpen those.

Jersey Chick
02-20-2009, 11:14 PM
If you get the circular ones, you can choke the hell out of someone.

um... not that I've tried it, mind you. i've heard rumors, that's all.

veinglory
02-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Yes, Walmart, Target--even a larger supermarket.

Mel
02-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Walmart, in the craft section. Usually a large area so if you're in a hurry just ask someone.

CaroGirl
02-20-2009, 11:22 PM
I require them because, apparently, tonight I'm learning how to knit. But if I don't like it, and I have the metal ones, I guess I could just injure someone instead. Thankfully, I'm bringing two bottle of wine with me, so I might not much care.

If Walmart has the blasted things, I'm golden. If not... I dunno.

Jersey Chick
02-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Someone's giving you a surprise knitting lesson? Cool. :D

I love knitting - it's very relaxing.

Bubastes
02-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Yes, it's relaxing. Until you mess up and have to undo a bunch of rows. Grrrrr.....

CaroGirl
02-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Someone's giving you a surprise knitting lesson? Cool. :D

I love knitting - it's very relaxing.
It's not exactly a surprise because, as far as I know, I know about it. :)

I belong to a ladies cooking group. For the past couple of years we've got together every other month on a Friday night and cooked a meal together. Now we're starting to do other things too, like cooking lessons, pottery, and now this knitting thing. Tonight we're eating beef stew, drinking wine, and knitting with friends. It should be fun, actually! I haven't knitted since I was a kid.

Wayne K
02-21-2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks. I have a Michaels, but not nearby. This is my first, and very likely my last, knitting emergency.
One would hope.

Jersey Chick
02-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Well, I didn't really know how to phrase it - since it seemed like it took you by surprise. :D

K1P1
02-21-2009, 01:26 AM
Target doesn't have crafts, so no knitting needles. Wal-Mart, back with the fabrics and yarns, is your best bet. If there's a Ben Franklin, it might have them, but these are all independently owned now, so individual stores vary a lot in their inventory.

What about a yarn shop? Where are you? There are a bunch of online directories of shops. Try this one: http://www.knitscene.com/shops.asp

Can you call one of the others who does knit and ask them to bring an extra pair?

CaroGirl
02-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Got the knitting needles in the crafts section at Walmart. Thanks all for the help!

Unfortunately, the friend who was supposed to come and show us how to knit... FORGOT and never showed up.

So, what do four resourceful, modern ladies do in the face of adversity? We YouTube'd it! Yes folks, we taught ourselves how to knit by watching a how-to video online. :D

Jersey Chick
02-21-2009, 10:53 PM
I taught myself from a book. No one else in my family knits. :D

Unique
02-22-2009, 04:56 PM
So, what do four resourceful, modern ladies do in the face of adversity? We YouTube'd it! Yes folks, we taught ourselves how to knit by watching a how-to video online. :D

So what did you make?
What colour is it?
Have you finished it?
What's next?
curious cats want to know >''<

Thump
02-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Heheh :D Better than Youtube: www.knittinghelp.com :)

CaroGirl
02-22-2009, 05:29 PM
So what did you make?
What colour is it?
Have you finished it?
What's next?
curious cats want to know >''<
Working on a scarf
Brown
NO!
No idea
:D

K1P1
02-23-2009, 01:57 AM
Next step, you need my book: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37835

nevada
02-23-2009, 02:08 AM
Run awayyyyyyy!!! knitting is highly addictive and pretty soon that Red Heart worsted weight you got at walmart for a buck a ball isn't going to cut it and you're at specialty knitting stores buying $10 a ball(very small ball) hand-wash only cashmere for baby clothes. yes, i am a victim of the knitting addiction. fortunately it goes in waves and right now i'm safe but i watched the videos on the knitting website and i though, hmmm i still have that beautiful lavender cashmere. i should go get it from storage and knit something.

Whatever you do, do not flip through the Debbie Bliss baby pattern books at teh bookstore because you'll be knitting for imaginary babies, hinting to all your friends that they need to get preggers so you'll have someone to give those adorable baby lamb booties too. oh and you just have to knit that precious baby bear onesie. oh yes, my friend, knitting is a dangerous thing to get into.

Silver King
02-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Next step, you need my book: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37835
That's a wonderful book. I picked up a copy for my mom a while back (which she loves), and the author was kind enough to send along an autographed bookplate. :)

Bubastes
02-23-2009, 06:09 AM
Listen to nevada's warnings. I didn't get into the baby clothes, but oh boy did I get into the fancy yarns. Once you feel merino wool or silk/mohair sliding across your fingers, you'll never go back.

Carole
02-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Run awayyyyyyy!!! knitting is highly addictive and pretty soon that Red Heart worsted weight you got at walmart for a buck a ball isn't going to cut it and you're at specialty knitting stores buying $10 a ball(very small ball) hand-wash only cashmere for baby clothes. yes, i am a victim of the knitting addiction. fortunately it goes in waves and right now i'm safe but i watched the videos on the knitting website and i though, hmmm i still have that beautiful lavender cashmere. i should go get it from storage and knit something.

Whatever you do, do not flip through the Debbie Bliss baby pattern books at teh bookstore because you'll be knitting for imaginary babies, hinting to all your friends that they need to get preggers so you'll have someone to give those adorable baby lamb booties too. oh and you just have to knit that precious baby bear onesie. oh yes, my friend, knitting is a dangerous thing to get into.

All this is true. :D I am a knitting addict! When my brother's daughter was born, I already had something like twenty pairs of booties for her, a sweater, bottle cozies, No idea how many bonnets and caps and a beautiful afghan in "her colors" of chocolate, strawberry and cream. I have more yarn than I will probably ever use, and I still buy more! I have needles in every size, circular needles and all the accouterments like gauges, marker rings, darning needles and I even have a nice collection of crochet needles, too. Once you start buying the super-soft (expensive!) stuff, that Red Heart yarn will seem like barbed wire. Somehow, you will always be able to rationalize spending a ridiculous amount of money on a ball of yarn!

Then again, with a model like this, who could stop knitting?

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h81/sinner99/irelyncold-1-1-1.jpg

Jersey Chick
02-23-2009, 05:22 PM
I am knitting a baby blanket because I have this gorgeous pattern and enough pure white yarn. I don't know what I'm going to do with it when I'm done, though. I'm also eyeballing this alpaca yarn to use for socks...

it's addicting and eventually, you run out people to give stuff to :D

MaryMumsy
02-23-2009, 08:09 PM
I am knitting a baby blanket because I have this gorgeous pattern and enough pure white yarn. I don't know what I'm going to do with it when I'm done, though. I'm also eyeballing this alpaca yarn to use for socks...

it's addicting and eventually, you run out people to give stuff to :D

I'm a crocheter rather than a knitter. I make baby afghans out of white cotton (can be bleached to get out the strained carrots). I usually end up giving away about 5-6 a year for silent auction fundraisers.

MM

KikiteNeko
02-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Walmart has them in the craft section, where they keep the fabrics. Make sure you get the right size needles for the project. For baby blankets you want small stitches so their little fingers and toes don't get snagged.

CaroGirl
02-23-2009, 08:33 PM
If you're in search of knitting projects, the neonatal unit of your local hospital is probably accepting volunteers to knit tiny caps and booties for term newborns and premies. If I could knit stuff like that (maybe someday :)) I'd do that for sure.

My scarf is on hold because of a busy weekend. I expect to get back to it during the evenings this week!

awatkins
02-23-2009, 09:10 PM

Yes, yes, yes, get this book! It's awesome. Reading it is just like having someone (Maggie, maybe? :) ) sit right beside you and explain how to do things. I love it!

Knitting is a comfort activity for me. And my friends and family enjoy the things I make for them. :)

K1P1
02-23-2009, 09:14 PM
And then there are the really high end yarns: tilli tomas (http://www.tillitomas.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=65&g2_itemId=107) . My preference is for silk strung with beads and sequins. And then you start spinning your own, and you end up like me, in a house with walls covered with totes full of yarn and unspun fiber, four spinning wheels, shelves full of books on spinning, knitting and dying. And then, in self defense, you have to go professional so you can deduct it all as a business expense!

K1P1
02-23-2009, 09:30 PM
If you're in search of knitting projects, the neonatal unit of your local hospital is probably accepting volunteers to knit tiny caps and booties for term newborns and premies. If I could knit stuff like that (maybe someday :)) I'd do that for sure.

My scarf is on hold because of a busy weekend. I expect to get back to it during the evenings this week!

NICUs also want tiny blankets for premies. These are just 12" squares - easy to knit and less area than a scarf.

Another, sadder, need is for special outfits for babies that are still-born or who have died. Many families can't afford to purchase clothing for them and they are extremely grateful to have a handmade baby set for burial of the child they won't ever get to know.

Of course, there are also the families that can't afford clothing for their healthy children. Contributions of hats, mittens, sweaters, blankets are all gratefully accepted by charities around the world. So, even if what you make doesn't fit anyone you know, it's sure to fit someone who will be warmer for having received it.

There's also the Warm Up America Project (http://www.warmupamerica.com/home.html), which accepts contributions of 5" x 7" crocheted or knitted rectangles and assembles them into afghans to distribute to the homeless and poor.

And there's Afghans for Afghans (http://www.afghansforafghans.org/), "a humanitarian and educational people-to-people project that sends hand-knit and crocheted blankets and sweaters, vests, hats, mittens, and socks to the beleaguered people of Afghanistan."

And the Seaman's Church Institute (http://www.seamenschurch.org) Christmas at Sea project, providing handknit scarves to merchant mariners.

And the many Prayer Shawl Ministries around the country, where shawls are knit for people who are ill, home bound, or suffering from grief.

So, even if you don't have someone in particular to knit for, there are plenty of people you don't know who could benefit from your creative energy.

nevada
02-23-2009, 10:20 PM
aargghh now i want to start knitting again. this is not good. i'm halfway through a cross stitch project i should finish. and i have a book to write. *sigh*

K1P1
02-24-2009, 01:41 AM
I have a book to write too. Of course, it's about knitting...

Jersey Chick
02-24-2009, 02:01 AM
I never thought about hospitals... that's not a bad idea - really.

I tried crocheting - my mom is a master crocheter who has tried many times to teach me. I always pull the stitches too tight and up with curls. I like my knitting :D

WittyWordsmith
02-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Well, I started crocheting, and I felt I was getting too addicted and distracted from life's duties, so I put it down. But, after reading all of this, it makes me want to pick it up again. Especially seeing all the hospitals and charities that need them. My little heart broke reading that.

Jersey Chick
02-24-2009, 02:32 AM
I love baby blankets - they have the best patterns. And that soft yarn...

I haven't tried a hat yet - hmmmm....

still eyeballin' the alpaca yarn, though

Carole
02-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Hats are easy, even without using circular needles, but you have to get the knack for stitching up the back without making it lumpy. That took a little trial and error for me. The thing that surprised me the most was how easy booties and socks are! There are literally thousands of free patterns online, and many of them are for the novice (like me!) The groovy thing with those types of patterns is that they are usually simple and so they allow you to add nifty details of your own. I found a great baby bootie pattern that was so easy, and then I added several rows around the top with this feathery yarn and they turned out so cute! Mr. Vagabond always avoided my knitting frenzy until I made myself a pair of heavy booties to wear around the house. He said, "I want some!" and so I made him a pair. He loves them.