Is this true or an urban legend?

comradebunny

"It *is* the rabbitt!"
Registered
Reaction score
By brother-in-law just related a story to me that I found interesting as an idea for a one-act play. Problem is, I don't know if it is true or not.

The story goes that when a mental asylum for the criminally insane caught fire years ago (how many I'm not sure) and burned to the ground, the doctors and nurses escaped but left the prisoners inside. The head of the asylum said it was too risky to let them out to roam freely is the chaos of the event, so he let them burn to death. He was put on trial, but aquitted.

Has anyone heard this story before? Is it an urband legend? Is it true. If it is try, does anyone know where this happened? I'd love to do some research on it.

Thanks for your time and input.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I never heard that story before, but it kinda makes sense. What WOULD you do if an asylum burned down? You can't just let a bunch of mentally derranged people roam free.

Oh wait.

Our present court system does just that.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Yes I think you would let patients suffering from mental illness out of the building. That seems like an easy question to answer. For a start the great majority would be no danger at all (those with mental illness being, on average, less violent than thiose without), and the staff and facilities (e.g. perimeter fence, transport vans, physical and chemical restraints) should be equipped to deal with those who are.

comradebunny

"It *is* the rabbitt!"
Registered
Reaction score
Not quite zenwriter, but interesting. Thanks everyone for the input.

P.S. I did Google it first and was unable to find anything. I came here hoping someone could steer me in the right directions..

Reaction score
This is similar to a film I saw recently - actually it was a book first. But I won't name it in case folks haven't seen it yet.

comradebunny

"It *is* the rabbitt!"
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I think you would let patients suffering from mental illness out of the building. That seems like an easy question to answer. For a start the great majority would be no danger at all (those with mental illness being, on average, less violent than thiose without), and the staff and facilities (e.g. perimeter fence, transport vans, physical and chemical restraints) should be equipped to deal with those who are.

According to his story, these were violent, criminally insane people. Those that would attack and kill others. So, the doctor thought it better to let them die. I like the moral question implied by the situation.

It reminds me of the background story for the Jackel in the remake of "Thirteen Ghosts", although that inmate ran back into the fire and would not leave the asylum.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
We have a similar thing around here.

We have several prisons (including Death Row) about 10 miles away. One of the locals told me that, in the event of a Nuclear War, the Air Force has clearance to bomb the prison complex to stop prisoners from escaping.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would question the authenticity of a deliberate decision not to let people out and so choosing a deliberate certain loss of life over a transient danger. But the scenario of locked doors and fire is a fairly common one.

http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online/News/Neglect-Blamed-For-Over-50-Deaths-in-Blazes-at-Two-Russian-Hospitals/46$52440
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sooty/seacliffe.html

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
According to his story, these were violent, criminally insane people. Those that would attack and kill others. So, the doctor thought it better to let them die. I like the moral question implied by the situation.

The idea of having a psychiatric facility full of people who are actively murderous at any given moment and completely uncontrollable outside of their ward is innately implausible to me. I think you would quickly be in deep water re: stereotyping of the mentally ill. I think the only dilemma would be who to prosecute for failing to appropriately treat or house these people and putting them all together in one place.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com

comradebunny

"It *is* the rabbitt!"
Registered
Reaction score

TheRealFnShow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
therealfnshow.blogspot.com
This is similar to a film I saw recently - actually it was a book first. But I won't name it in case folks haven't seen it yet.

I think I know what film you mean, as I'm guessing it's the same one I thought of almost immediately when I read this thread.

I can't say if It's true or not, but would be an interesting thing to write about and explore those involved.

50 Foot Ant

Registered
Reaction score
We have several prisons (including Death Row) about 10 miles away. One of the locals told me that, in the event of a Nuclear War, the Air Force has clearance to bomb the prison complex to stop prisoners from escaping.
Hahahhahhaaaa...

Actually, prisons, being a concentration of people that the Soviet Union considered "cannon fodder conscription population", were targeted with secondary and tertiary strikes. The logic behind this, is the invasion following a nuclear war scenario (unless it was a MAD scenario, in which case the prison was targeted for other reasons) the Soviets considered prisons a viable source of disposable infantry, as well as the prison being an easily hardened fortress that required a minimum of conversion and already had a paramilitary staff.

So, no, our Air Force didn't have orders to target prisons in the event of nuclear war, the Soviet Union was going to blow them off the map.

Aschenbach

Moral Marjorie
Registered
Reaction score
Horror fans know that inmates of asylums for the criminally insane are indestructible. You could leave them in the fire and they wouldn't die anyway. They would just sneak out of the ruins, slightly chargrilled, and start cutting up the local teenagers.

Last edited: