Final Survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
In most horror, thriller, and suspense novels and movies, the killer is usually male. But most of all, why is the person who ultimately survives, and either kills or foils him a woman? Is this some kind of law or something?

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
You have something against females, don't you :tongue

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
In most horror, thriller, and suspense novels and movies, the killer is usually male. But most of all, why is the person who ultimately survives, and either kills or foils him a woman? Is this some kind of law or something?

Yes, it's part of the Constitution.

Seriously, how many horror, thriller and suspense novels have you read? I could name dozens where the person who saves the day is male.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Shoot, all the horror movies I've seen, the pretty/ sexy girl is the FIRST to die. Usually right after she sleeps with someone... then wanders off in just some skimpy panties/lingerie to get killed.

When it comes to physical violence or means of killing, usually it's going to be men. Statistically, men are more likely to be serial killers, especially using violent means (Ted Bundy, etc.) Also, men are generally physically stronger-- they are far more likely to be able to over power another person than the average woman could. So, it's more believable in that regard to have evil bad guy men.

As for "most" I think you'll find that there is no "most" in fiction. There may be many, but there are so many variations, so many stories told, that there is never a most. =)

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I read on wikipedia that in order for the film to be successful, the person who confronts the killer and is purged from terror has to be a woman, and that the viewers will reject the film if that person is a man. Frankly, I think this is sexist and I'm disgusted at how men are portrayed in movies and on television.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
You do know that wikipedia can be edited by anyone right? So someone with a chip on their shoulder could got edit that page?

(For example, there's a big time University of Michigan/ Michigan State rivalry. So, for a long time, the Ann Arbor and East Lansing pages [respective towns] would be edited by people. Including such things as average IQ of the town being 17, etc.)

Careful with wikipedia as your primary source, man. It's not. Do not trust all Wikipedia says!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, movies don't always do a good job of portraying men OR women as fully formed human beings. It is too easy to rely on simple stereotypes.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Wikipedia is not a reliable source. What are some examples of movies in which what you're talking about occurs? I'm sure others will be able to identify examples of the opposite. (I don't watch horror movies, or much of any movies lately so I can't help there.)

Also? What Clair said:
When it comes to physical violence or means of killing, usually it's going to be men. Statistically, men are more likely to be serial killers, especially using violent means (Ted Bundy, etc.) Also, men are generally physically stronger-- they are far more likely to be able to over power another person than the average woman could. So, it's more believable in that regard to have evil bad guy men.
What about all the movies in which women are cast as obsessed, sex-crazed stalkers? Why aren't more men portrayed as the same?

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Um Dwayne? Have you abandoned your other thread? There is a really good conversation going on over there that could answer some of the questions you asked.

As to this thread, honestly Dwayne, I think you need to watch more movies and read more books. There are ridiculous quantities of horror films out there where a male tortures and does hideous things to women. And I hope you see the slight absurdity in starting one thread how women are always violent towards men, and then starting another stating that in horror films the murderer is always male. How can both sentiments co-exist exactly?

Honestly Dwayne, I'm sorry but you are just wrong in your postulating the unfair representation of men in movies. You actually have it totally backwards. Now I'm not saying there aren't unfair stereotypes for men in films too, that there isn't a backlash going on now (and if you want to get indignant about something Dwayne, get upset at how men are always portrayed as stupid in commercials, that really annoys me). But come on, it's been women who've had to deal with most of the crap over the years. Have had to deal with stereotypes, and being sexualised to the point they are no longer looked at as human, who are constantly being used as a prop for some man's story - and that includes many a dead female body that the male can then seek vengeance over.

Last edited:

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I read on wikipedia that in order for the film to be successful, the person who confronts the killer and is purged from terror has to be a woman, and that the viewers will reject the film if that person is a man. Frankly, I think this is sexist and I'm disgusted at how men are portrayed in movies and on television.

are you just trying to pick a fight?

seriously...

:Shrug:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All right. Let's ease up on the OP. He didn't say anything negative about women. He expressed a view that men are subject to negative stereotypes. Since we already have a thread discussing gender stereotypes and violence, I'm going to lock this one as a duplicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.