PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Outlook?

ellisnation
02-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Grrr. I'm trying to setup an outlook account and it isn't working! My connection is wireless and outlook is allowing me to send but not recieve. I'm about to throw my computer through the window!!!!

Any ideas?

DaddyCat
02-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Most ISP's use separate protocols for sending and receiving email. If you can send, then your SMTP settings must be good. POP3 handles receiving email. I don't use Outlook (or Windows, for that matter), so I can't give specific directions, but check things like the server name you're connecting to (many ISP's use different server names for the two services), security settings or port number.

Clair Dickson
02-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Check the settings against what your ISP says you need to send and receive. When I had Comcast (aka my nemesis), they randomly changed the settings on me where I had to go check a box saying that my email needed security authentication or something. (Google-fu found this for me)

Also check what port your recieving email from (I think these are all under Options). Comcast changed the port on me once and didn't tell me, so I developed email problems. (I hate Comcast)

My experiences were all problems with the ISP. Yours may or may not be. =)

astonwest
02-21-2009, 08:46 AM
You may have to go in and fiddle with your outgoing mail settings. Just start playing with the various check boxes and password fields until you find a combination that works. That's how I usually do it.
:)

But then, I switched to Thunderbird (from the same folks who brought us Firefox) a while back and don't use Outlook much outside of work.

MoonWriter
02-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Most ISP's use separate protocols for sending and receiving email. If you can send, then your SMTP settings must be good. POP3 handles receiving email. I don't use Outlook (or Windows, for that matter), so I can't give specific directions, but check things like the server name you're connecting to (many ISP's use different server names for the two services), security settings or port number.

Sounds like good advice. I have no idea what the hell it means, but it sure sounds like DaddyCat knows what he's talking about - whatever lanuage that is. :)

rugcat
02-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Also check what port your recieving email from (I think these are all under Options). Comcast changed the port on me once and didn't tell me, so I developed email problems. (I hate Comcast)They did the same thing to me. I finally gave up trying to figure out what was wrong and called them, at which point they mentioned casually they had changed the port number. With no indication anywhere that they had done so or of what the new port number was.

Maybe they just wanted to see how many people would call.