I've gone and done something stupid. (Norton & popups)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've gone and done something stupid, but I don't know for sure. Hubby updated Norton and I got the updates and all that, and ever since, I get no popups, and some links work while others don't even try.

The popups problem happens when I try to view things like slideshows or powerpoint presentations that go along with my online classes. And the links thing is random. When I log into my home school's website and try to go to my email, it does nothing when I click the link. The same thing is happening here. Some links will work and others will just sit there. The links that seem to not work are the ones that will open in a separate window, so I am thinking it's along the same lines as the popup problem.

Can Norton do that? If so, is there a way to disable whatever it is that's preventing it?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What browser are you using?

This almost sounds like either your browser or Norton are not allowing scripts to run.

You want popups??

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I know that sounds weird, but I think when Norton disabled popups, it also disabled the ability for popups that I want. In my classes, we get popups for downloading ppt presentations and videos. Not the smartest idea, I know, but I think the teacher thought it would be cool to set it up that way. Maybe she has an alternative way to access those things manually.I don't like popups (who does) but I'm having problems getting to some of my materials in class.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
There should be a facility to allow selected pop-ups. Most browsers have pop-up blockers that you can enable. So do several toolbars like Google and Yahoo. And, of course, so do the Security Suites like Norton and McAfee.

In each case, there should be a way to have it prompt you to allow those popups you want. And you do want some popups. Even AW has some. If you want to add an image or a link to a post, the VBulletin software produces a popup window to add them.

The trick is to find out which popup blocker is working and set it to allow you to choose.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
What browser are you using?

Norton should have some sort of setting where you can turn of it's pop-up blocker.

I'm a Safari man now, but when I used Firefox my all-time favorite add-on was NoScript. It prevented every script on a page from running unless you added that site as "safe," and it saved which sites to allow and which not. It also showed you the different scripts and you could allow only certain ones if you wanted. No other pop-up blocker has ever worked for me as well.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
If you're using Internet Explorer, go to <Tools> <Pop-up Blocker> <Pop-up Blocker Settings> You'll need to know the name of your school's site, i.e. www.absolutewrite.com. Enter it in the window. In the dropdown at the bottom, select "Medium." Or, if you want to live on the edge, Select "Low."

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm using Firefox. :)
If you don't already have it, get the No Scripts add-on. It will tell you when scripts are blocked or allowed and give you the option of changing the setting for any website you visit.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Weirdness. All the problems I have been having just stopped today. I didn't do anything, and I'm pretty sure hubby hasn't been up here doing anything either. Somehow it all works again.