Frequency of words in a Word document.

SFLP

Just tell me to shut up.
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a utility, attached to MS Word (2003 is what I have) that will give you a count of the number of times each word appears in a document?

I used to have a function like that in some program I was using (obviously not Word - lol), that essentially built an index, with word counts instead of page numbers, of every word in the document.

When I had it I thought it was a pretty silly utility, and in most writing I've done, it'd still be pretty worthless.

I'm currently trying to write erotica, though, and I swear, if I use the word "against" one more time, I will scream. :p

Anyway, I'm about 30k words into this story, and I know there are lots of repeated words and phrases - I'd love to kill some of them. Normally, I'd just go through and snag 'em by hand, but I tried to go back through the doc from the beginning, manually, and every time I end up getting sucked into editing.

Anyway, anyone know of a Word plugin or a utility that will give me the frequency of all words in a document? I tried some Google searches, but couldn't get the search terms right.

Thanks,

J.

SFLP

Just tell me to shut up.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. You are my hero(ine?)

Thanks so much. Looks like exactly what I need.

J.

Andrew Jameson

(not his real name)
Registered
Reaction score
Roger J Carlson also wrote some nice little programs to do word and phrase counting: MS Word Utilities for Writers Helped me quite a bit to find out how many times I used "that" or some odd verbal tic.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I just downloaded TexStat. There is no help available with the program. The help menu took me to a Perl help menu. So far, I haven't been able to figure out how to make the program work. Anyone know what a Corpus is? The progam tells you to create a Corpus file, then you can add and remove files from that???

SFLP

Just tell me to shut up.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, a question I can answer! I can't tell you what the terminology means but I can tell you how to make it work, at least for word frequency. (BOY did this help me.)

OK, on the Corpus menu, choose "Create New Corpus" - give it a name and save it wherever you want to. Then choose Corpus->Add Local File and navigate to the Word or text document you are working with. Select it, and click Open. In the buttons on top, the ninth button over is "Show Word Frequencies". Looks like a tick tac toe board with a blue stripe in the middle.

That brings up the word frequency list for the doc.

I think you can add multiple docs, so if you have stuff in chapters, as I do, you can check it for the whole book.

Hope that helped.

J.

Last edited:

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks SFLP. I got it to work. I ran the first 3 chapters of my WIP and found two words that are far too freguent.

What else does this program do?

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
It can show you all occurrances of a certain word or phrase in context, find words using a "wild card" for part of the word -- *ing with a space following it will find most of your gerunds without including words like "mingle" or "hinge".

You can save your word frequency lists to compare with other works or later versions.

Help page