PDA

View Full Version : Feeling watched

bsolah
02-20-2009, 03:19 AM
Do you ever get the feeling that people are watching and criticizing everything you do?

This morning, me and my girlfriend were on the train on our way to work. And I leant over and kissed her on the shoulder.

Then two guys whispered to each other, and everytime we did anything they would snicker and laugh. One guy said to the other that I was "under the thumb" and then proceeded to talk loudly how they don't like their wives controlling them etc etc.

Now I'm not on the train now and probably won't see them again, but now I can't shake the feeling that people are watching what I'm doing. Usually I'm fine checking the boards at work but it took me a while to log on this morning because I was worried my workmates were watching what I'm doing.

scarletpeaches
02-20-2009, 03:21 AM
Oh god yeah. That 'someone else is laughing; is it at me' feeling...

When it happens and it's justified (as seems to be the case with your experience on the train) I tell myself it's jealousy, or a longing for what I have. Or a desire to make them feel big by making me feel small. Epic fail, there. ;)

You have something they long for - a S/O to whom you comfortably show affection in public. Would that they were confident or loveable enough.

Whether that's any comfort or not I don't know, but them's my thoughts.

Wayne K
02-20-2009, 03:24 AM
Do you ever get the feeling that people are watching and criticizing everything you do?

This morning, me and my girlfriend were on the train on our way to work. And I leant over and kissed her on the shoulder.

Then two guys whispered to each other, and everytime we did anything they would snicker and laugh. One guy said to the other that I was "under the thumb" and then proceeded to talk loudly how they don't like their wives controlling them etc etc.

Now I'm not on the train now and probably won't see them again, but now I can't shake the feeling that people are watching what I'm doing. Usually I'm fine checking the boards at work but it took me a while to log on this morning because I was worried my workmates were watching what I'm doing.

They're out there.

bsolah
02-20-2009, 03:24 AM
Thanks scarlet.

I do think it's partly jealously. Or it's just plain, 'We're big men and not meant to show weakness or affection in public.'

scarletpeaches
02-20-2009, 03:26 AM
Pfft.

I know who I'd rather spend time with.

Ugh. I was just nice. I need a lie-down.

smoothseas
02-20-2009, 03:28 AM
Now me, I just wouldn't be bothered by it. I have too much else to occupy my thoughts.

'Side, I don't give a single penny, boys, what the world thinks of me.

writerterri
02-20-2009, 03:31 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_6_20.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZJxdm028YYUS) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_6_20.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZJxdm028YYUS)

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZJxdm028YYUS (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb097_ZJxdm028YYUS&utm_id=7925)

Siddow
02-20-2009, 03:39 AM
Learn to have fun with these people. Talk about bondage. Say your rear still smarts from the spanking she gave you. Get on your knees and apologize for not putting her toothpaste on her brush correctly, then beg her for a dollar for lunch.

Or is it just me who feels the need, while being watched, to be outrageous and give 'em a show?

scarletpeaches
02-20-2009, 03:41 AM
Good god, no, Siddow. I think, "Let's give 'em something to REALLY talk about."

bsolah
02-20-2009, 03:45 AM
I've done this in the past, and it's quite fun. Usually if I'm having a gay night with eyeliner and some guys make homophobic comments, I'll sit on one of my male friends' laps and watch these guys squirm.

cooeedownunder
02-20-2009, 03:45 AM
They are everywhere....

scarletpeaches
02-20-2009, 03:47 AM
I've done this in the past, and it's quite fun. Usually if I'm having a gay night with eyeliner and some guys make homophobic comments, I'll sit on one of my male friends' laps and watch these guys squirm.

Okay, that just bumped you to the top of my favourite people list.

Mel
02-20-2009, 03:48 AM
I'm sorry but it makes me smile. Not at you, but at them. I have to wonder what their attitude would have been if their wives had been with them. Better yet, what if their wives had been sitting behind them and they didn't know it.

Maybe some jealousy and insecurity going on there.

bsolah
02-20-2009, 03:51 AM
Okay, that just bumped you to the top of my favourite people list.

:thankyou:

Awww, shucks.

writerterri
02-20-2009, 03:52 AM
I'm sorry but it makes me smile. Not at you, but at them. I have to wonder what their attitude would have been if their wives had been with them. Better yet, what if their wives had been sitting behind them and they didn't know it.

Maybe some jealousy and insecurity going on there.

Yeah, the sob probably would have gotten a wack to the back of the head and asked why he never kisses her like that.

It just made them uncomfortable to see a real man in action.

rhymegirl
02-20-2009, 04:15 AM

Yes, watching. Maybe not criticizing. I was in the bank once and as I stood there at the table, looking down, my pen hovering over the withdrawal slip as I tried to remember the date to fill in, a guy tells me the date. I looked up quickly, amazed and alarmed. I had no idea anyone was scrutinizing what I was doing.

NeuroFizz
02-20-2009, 04:34 AM
I get that feeling all the time, but it seems to go away as soon as I walk away from the mirror.

Silver King
02-20-2009, 04:55 AM
One of the nice things about aging is that eventually, you won't give a damn what people say or think about you. Their opinions don't mean squat, since they're almost always wrong anyway, whether they come from family members or friends or strangers on a train.

Until then, ignore their stupid comments. Then they'll feel like the fool, not you.

Susie
02-20-2009, 04:58 AM
Pfft.

I know who I'd rather spend time with.

Ugh. I was just nice. I need a lie-down.

Scarlet, you were very nice! I do declare my :Cake: must be rubbin' off on you. :D

SouthernFriedJulie
02-20-2009, 05:07 AM
Scarlet, you were very nice! I do declare my :Cake: must be rubbin' off on you. :D

I'd be worried if a flaming cake rubbed me.

RUN, SP, RUN

Susie
02-20-2009, 05:12 AM
Nah, Southern, virtual cakes don't have any burn power. :D

SouthernFriedJulie
02-20-2009, 05:17 AM
Nah, Southern, virtual cakes don't have any burn power. :D

That's what HE said on his gay night!

DL Hegel
02-20-2009, 05:21 AM

say it with me--- jealous:)

If you are an interesting person--people watch you:)
or if you are just paranoid--doesn't mean you're wrong:)

Watching people squirm and having a good time--bonus!

at the end of the day--it doesn't matter what other people think--only what you think of yourself.

rock on my favorite flag waver:)

Wayne K
02-20-2009, 05:25 AM
I'm squirming just thinking about it now. Go on.....

Death Wizard
02-20-2009, 05:44 AM
One of the nice things about aging is that eventually, you won't give a damn what people say or think about you. Their opinions don't mean squat, since they're almost always wrong anyway, whether they come from family members or friends or strangers on a train.

Until then, ignore their stupid comments. Then they'll feel like the fool, not you.

Ain't it the truth!

Angie
02-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Watching you? I'm sure it's all in your head.

*hides binoculars and backs slowly out of thread*

Komnena
02-20-2009, 06:50 AM
Usually when I feel like that there's a cat watching me.

Pat~
02-20-2009, 07:14 AM

Don't take this wrong, but my first thought when I read this was that you are probably under 25 years of age.

When you get to be my age (*ahem* >25 yrs.) you either know for certain hardly anyone really notices you, and/or you don't give a hoot.

bsolah
02-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I'm turning 23 in March.

I'm naturally a self-conscious person, a lot of the time aesthetically minded (things have to look 'right') which can sometimes be taken as vein or OCD

P.H.Delarran
02-20-2009, 08:09 AM
...which can sometimes be taken as vein or OCD
vain.
I'm watching you.

SouthernFriedJulie
02-20-2009, 05:19 PM
vain.
I'm watching you.

I'm still stuck on the gay eyeliner. Maybe he did mean 'vein'.

Yeah, I'm going to be taking a ride on the ban-wagon if I don't shut up. I know it.

Bubastes
02-20-2009, 05:41 PM
I don't really worry what other people think about me because 90+% of the time, they're not thinking about me at all (people are generally at the center of their own universes, so there's no reason to think that I'm anywhere nearby). And if they are thinking about me, they must be damn bored and I feel sorry for them. :D

I can't remember the exact quote, but it goes something like "At first, you worry what people think of you. Then you don't care what people think of you. Then you realize that they weren't thinking of you at all."

Tigercub
02-20-2009, 08:10 PM

You get old enough, you tend to become invisible, and people ignore you.

Unless you're mumbling to yourself and pushing a shopping cart -- and you're NOT in the grocery store.

(And you're wearing a parka and it's July.)

Wayne K
02-20-2009, 08:17 PM
You get old enough, you tend to become invisible, and people ignore you..)

You need to work on your "hard to not notice" skills. If you want people to flock to you listen to them. I find people a lot less resistant to my rantings if I listen to theirs and I'm {censored} years old.

James81
02-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Don't take this wrong, but my first thought when I read this was that you are probably under 25 years of age.

When you get to be my age (*ahem* >25 yrs.) you either know for certain hardly anyone really notices you, and/or you don't give a hoot.

Hey, it's a "compliments are rare from James81" sort of moment, and those don't come very often but I feel one coming on....

Looking at your profile pic, I bet you get noticed all the time. Beautiful people get noticed a lot. :)

/"compliments are rare" moment and back to your regularly scheduled programming of sarcasm, offensive opinions, and hardkore honesty.

Lyra Jean
02-21-2009, 05:44 AM
Learn to have fun with these people. Talk about bondage. Say your rear still smarts from the spanking she gave you. Get on your knees and apologize for not putting her toothpaste on her brush correctly, then beg her for a dollar for lunch.

Or is it just me who feels the need, while being watched, to be outrageous and give 'em a show?

You are not alone. That is too funny.