Offer From A Mag

KansasWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I had an article lying around for a newspaper that was killed. Since it's about beer I approached (shockingly) Beer Magazine with the full piece. The editor wrote back in 24 hours to say that the piece would be great and how much did I want for the text and pics?

Any clue what I should quote??? I have no idea. I was going to say "your standard rate" but that sounds a little unprofessional...

-KW

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on your sale, KW. I would check their guidelines to see what their standard rate is, then you have an idea of how much you should quote. Hope that helps.

June Casagrande

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.GrammarSnobs.com
Huh! That's a new one on me. In my experience, they say, "We pay blank" and add (silently) take it or leave it.

If they have a large circulation (Oh, I dunno. 100,000 or higher), consider about a buck a word. If they have a smaller circulation, consider saying just a few hundred bucks total. If you want the byline at any expense, tell 'em $100.

Re photos: Not sure. I think small pubs pay as low as $25 a shot. Bigger ones might pay a few hundred per image.

My guess is that you'll end up getting about $250 for the article and $50 each for photos. But that's a wild guess based only on my gut. If you want more, it's definitely feasible that you'll get it.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Hmmm... Is that All About Beer Magazine? I was just there, searching around, trying to find writer's guidelines for that one online. Sorry, I have no idea what they pay.

KansasWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the congrats!

Nah, it's not All About Beer, but just Beer magazine. They don't have any posted rates so I'll try a hybrid of the advice here and report back.

-KW

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Well that's a nice problem. I couldn't find anything at their website, not even circulation, or at Writer's Market. I see that Draft pays $80??? according to WM. Doubt that you'd get more than $100. OTOH, you've already written it, so what the heck. I guess I'd ask for $100???

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When this happened to me I told the editor that I write for a variety of pay rates, and asked what his publication generally pays. He sort of laughed at me, but he also quoted a rate higher than I had ever been paid before, so the embarrassment was worth it.

Good luck!

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
WildScribe, that is actually a good idea!!

I saw it somewhere else too, to ask at job interviews for the pay range/approximately what they are ready to pay or something like that..

(PS Love your siggy quote!!)

Kansas Writer, great that they want it!! :) Good luck with this, and do report back!! :)
/Another idea is to find others who have written for the mag so far, and ask them-?)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Andreya! I think I stole it from someone's rant somewhere. It was just so brilliant. I keep it to remind myself, too.

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
I would ask what their article pay range usually is .... nothing wrong with that! ;)

Congrats! Nothing better than making $$ off something you have already written! If this mag doesn't buy all rights you may want to consider trying to sell the reprint as well....try:
  • Look up "National Beer Month" and related things; you may be able to sell to a mag or newspaper based on that.
  • Oktoberfest. Pitch some little history of the event/holiday and sell it with the beer piece.
  • Bartender Magazine. I don't know much about it, but it's worth a peek.
Ask the mag about rights when you have the pay discussion, and to be professional, don't pitch the others before this piece runs........

I always have a hard time seeing other angles for things I write, but I'm great at doing it for other people!

Good for you!