Interesting Query Problem

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Okay, I'll outline the sequence of events, and I leave it to you fine, more experienced people to provide me with some wonderful suggestions as to what to do with this...

December 12, 2008: Sent query about an article to Magazine #1
February 3, 2009: Sent article on spec about very similar article to Magazine #2
February 4, 2009: Magazine #2 liked the article submitted on-spec. I was asked to add a sidebar with information. Added the sidebar and was told, "We'll be getting back to you" and it's "tentatively" scheduled for the Nov/Dec issue.
February 14, 2009: Magazine #1 sends me an e-mail saying "we are interested" and the query has been accepted for an article for the summer issue. Please send your article now. Note also included: "Schedule subject to change at any time."

Other issues: The magazines are clearly and obviously competing magazines (in fact, so much so I actually had them confused for a day). The article could be written as a new article for each magazine, but it would clearly be almost exactly the same topic.

As I see it, neither has committed fully to me, neither has offered me a firm contract, nor any cash so far. Magazine #2 has the entire article, already written, on-spec.

I'm not sure how to proceed. I don't want to annoy any editors, but if I don't tell someone something, it's going to be darn obvious that I sent basically the same article on the same topic to two different magazines. So, especially editors out there, what would you like to see happen? I'd hate to tell one editor "no" because someone else might run it, then have the other editor change their mind! But I feel like if I hesitate to one, they might drop me just to be safe, then I get nothing for the article at all. I could try to spin it differently for each magazine, but it will still be clearly the same topic.

Ideas?

Last edited:

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I'm thinking my best bet is to first go to Magazine #2, the one who first "claimed" the article and explain that someone else is interested in it, and just outright ask for a contract. If they don't provide one, I'll continue with Magazine #1. If they do provide it, I'll go to magazine #1 and explain that someone else just bought it, but I have another, slightly similar idea for them if they're interested.

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
I think that's probably your best bet. After all, you waited over six weeks to query the second, which is a reasonable period of time. You can tell them when you didn't hear back you assumed they weren't interested and moved on, but they can have this similar article, blah blah blah what yous aid.

Laurie PK

Fulltime blogger & freelance writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theadventurouswriter.com
Dissenting voice: I'd write a second article for the first magazine, with a different slant. I'd use different experts, different anecdotes, different references, etc.

Of course I don't know if this is possible for your particular article, but.......I'm actually doing the same thing right now! Two magazines liked the same idea, and I'm writing two entirely different articles for them -- different slants, different experts, different info -- but it's the same idea. Different word count, different countries even....

It may make a difference that your magazines are so similar (and probably in the same country), but I'm just saying, that's what I'd do! Or seriously consider, anyway....

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Thank you all for your opinions.

Laurie, thanks for that idea, too. I was trying to find a way to do that, but the magazines are clearly competitors, and the idea is just too narrow to sufficiently slant -- it's about learning about the inside of a computer. I could write two completely different articles, but it would still be very clear it was the same topic and same author.

I've sent the question to the first editor. If they want the article, I will go to the other editor and explain what happened and then offer a similar article, but on a different topic on computers. Unfortunately, I just can't see any way to write the article based on my query without requesting a change or looking like I wrote the same darn thing for two editors without telling them. THAT would be embarrassing.

black ink

Registered
Reaction score
Let us know how it turns out. I'm curious to hear what the editor says. And good luck!

June Casagrande

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.GrammarSnobs.com
<<I could write two completely different articles, but it would still be very clear it was the same topic and same author.>

That's FINE! Writers do that all the time. It's part of the job and it's in no way a disservice to either publication. You're not selling exclusive rights to a subject. You're not selling an idea. You're selling articles. Just try to make each as distinctive and fresh as possible while using different quotations and sources. (Definitely don't duplicate any quotations.)

In other words: I would do exactly what Laurie said.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I'd like to -- but here's what it would be:

One magazine for homeschoolers would publish in August an edition with a unit study for kids talking about the inside of a computer box, it's parts, and how they work together.

Then, one month later, another homeschooling magazine would publish an edition with a unit study for kids about, well, the inner parts of a computer and how they work.

I just don't see any way to do that without both editors getting really angry at me...

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Sheesh. I just got a response from Magazine #2, the one who received the entire article on-spec. I asked if they would make a decision on if they wanted it. The response was basically, "Do what you want with the article, and let me know."

I'm not sure how to take that. I just offered them the article, and they like it, but won't make a concrete offer on it. My thought is then I should offer a quite similar article to Magazine #1, proceeding until someone makes a concrete offer!

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, didn't expect that!

Anyway, you said before:
I'm thinking my best bet is to first go to Magazine #2, the one who first "claimed" the article and explain that someone else is interested in it, and just outright ask for a contract. If they don't provide one, I'll continue with Magazine #1.

You said Magazine #1 wanted you to send the entire article, and Magazine #2 basically cleared you to do that if you want. I'd say go for it with Magazine #1 and see how it shakes out. Best of luck!

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
I agree....try #1. Sounds like #2 is totally up in the air about it--not a good situation for you.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
I've been following this thread...what a sticky situation! I've been puzzling over what I would do in this situation...but it seems to be shaking out as it moves forward. That's an odd response from the editor of magazine #2. I hope it goes through smoothly with magazine #1 for you, and the piece runs in the summer issue.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Thanks for the ideas and encouragement. This week I'll be sending the full article to Magazine #1 to see if they like it. I'm going to attempt to write it as a different article and try real hard to make it different from the article I sent to #2. If they like it, I'll let Magazine #2 know that I did sell a similar article to Magazine #1, ask them if they'd still like the article, and even offer to write them a different one on a related topic if they like. Then, I hope, everyone (including me and my wallet) will be happy!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
What a wonderful problem to have! You seem to be making all the right moves. Good luck!