PDA

View Full Version : Tree People

rhymegirl
02-18-2009, 09:05 PM
I've been waiting all morning for these tree guys to come chop down 3 trees in my yard but they haven't called and haven't shown up. I hate it when people inconvenience me. Where oh where could they be?

Vincent
02-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Not at all what I expected when I saw the thread title.

Lyra Jean
02-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Same here. Your title reminded me of "The Happening"

Once I was waiting for Rent A Center to come pick up our broken freezer. They said they would be there between 10am and 4pm. At 6pm they still haven't shown up and they made me late for a date. When I came back from my date there was a note on the door saying they came at 2pm but no one was here. What a bunch of crap!

I know how annoying it is. Of course when I complained they didn't do anything because the paper said they came at 2pm.

I hope they come soon.

rhymegirl
02-18-2009, 09:10 PM

Okay, I'll bite. What did you expect?

Vincent
02-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Big cuddly talking, walking trees with moss for facial hair.

maestrowork
02-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Lord of the Rings -- the Treebeards... or whatever they're called.

Wayne K
02-18-2009, 09:12 PM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g185/cassiev84/lumberjack.jpg

I'm going to go with breakfast.

rhymegirl
02-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Big cuddly talking, walking trees with moss for facial hair.

Lord of the Rings -- the Treebeards... or whatever they're called.

Oh yeah you mean Ents. And I think Treebeard was the head guy. Or head tree guy.

Guffy
02-18-2009, 10:56 PM
I thought you meant all those folks out in California that want to save an owl or something.

By the way did they show?

Maryn
02-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Tree people scared the hell out of me when I was real little and saw The Wizard of Oz on a big screen...

http://filmfanatic.org/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/Tree.JPG

Maryn, who doesn't remember being scared but remembers being told she was scared

brokenfingers
02-18-2009, 11:10 PM
They're pretty shy creatures. Have you placed the right bait?

Try laying some shrubs or twigs out in the street. If you see one stop outside your driveway, don't make any sudden moves. Try squeaking like a squirrel or chirping like a chipmunk when communicating.

Act like a nut and one should follow you to your backyard.

Maryn
02-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Rhymegirl should have no problem acting like a nut! (Thanks for the straight line. They don't just grow on trees, after all.)

Maryn, cruel

Clair Dickson
02-18-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm guessing that a previous job or three took longer than it was supposed to. You know, it's supposed to be 'cut this branch off, haul away' but the branch won't come down or takes of the satellite or they can't get the ladder in a good spot, so they have to reach at it from a bad angle, which takes longer.

Or they were overscheduled (companies seem to love cramming appointments in backtobacktoback.) Add in any delays, and suddenly the whole schedule is screwed up.

Oh, and don't forgetting getting lost. If they're tree cutting men, they might not ask for directions. ;-)

But I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, for some damn reason, even though I'm almost always proven wrong.

Wayne K
02-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Tree people scared the hell out of me when I was real little and saw The Wizard of Oz on a big screen...

http://filmfanatic.org/reviews/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/Tree.JPG

Maryn, who doesn't remember being scared but remembers being told she was scared
I was going to do that photo. Question your sanity if you're one step ahead of me, and consider who is behind you.

rhymegirl
02-19-2009, 12:50 AM
By the way did they show?

NO! It is now almost 4 in the afternoon and they have neither called nor shown up.

They're pretty shy creatures. Have you placed the right bait?

That must be it. I didn't place the right bait. Damn!

Act like a nut and one should follow you to your backyard.

Rhymegirl should have no problem acting like a nut!

I actually consider it a compliment to be called a nut. But today I'm a little under the weather so I wasn't in the mood to act like a nut.

Wayne K
02-19-2009, 12:56 AM
I can't believe with all the people I know who are looking for work, that these people would be so glib about it. Are they the only tree people in town or something?

James81
02-19-2009, 01:14 AM
I had the ability to vote for them all, so I did. I didn't even read the options I was just so excited that I could vote for them all that my hand moved on it's own.

rhymegirl
02-19-2009, 01:24 AM
I can't believe with all the people I know who are looking for work, that these people would be so glib about it. Are they the only tree people in town or something?

Nope. Other Tree people could be chosen. I was told they would come do the work on either Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. They didn't show up yesterday so I assumed they would come today.

rhymegirl
02-19-2009, 01:26 AM
I had the ability to vote for them all, so I did. I didn't even read the options I was just so excited that I could vote for them all that my hand moved on it's own.

Okay. But for Other, you were supposed to give an excuse for these guys as to why they didn't show up.

nevada
02-19-2009, 01:29 AM
ummm a tree fought back and killed them all?

Wayne K
02-19-2009, 01:48 AM
ummm a tree fought back and killed them all?

:Trophy: I'm a tree hugger, so I had my money on the tree.

Wayne K
02-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Maybe the trees called and cancelled the appointment?

James81
02-19-2009, 01:55 AM
Okay. But for Other, you were supposed to give an excuse for these guys as to why they didn't show up.

:roll:

Sorry, I didn't read the first post either.

I honestly just thought, based on the thread title alone, that this was a parody of maestrowork's "Three People" thread that was locked.

rhymegirl
02-19-2009, 01:58 AM
Maybe the trees called and cancelled the appointment?

Interesting theory. I do have very smart trees in my yard.

Or perhaps a squirrel dropped a dime to make that call. We have like 10,000 squirrels about since we have at least 10 trees in the yard. And some of them would lose their home.

Maryn
02-19-2009, 02:55 AM
Now you get to do one of the wonderful things in life, Rhymegirl. I guarantee it'll make you feel better.

First, call another tree service. Schedule an appointment. Then call back your original tree people and tell them you're canceling your order because they didn't show up when they said they would.

That's a hard lesson lots of small businesses need to learn. If something delays them and makes keeping an appointment impossible, at the very least they owe me a phone call to reschedule, otherwise they lose my business. College Pro painters was pretty upset that blowing off an estimate appointment cost them a $5,000 job. I told the guy flat out that the company's lack of common courtesy meant I would not only not hire them myself but dis-recommend them to friends and neighbors.

Maryn, hard-nosed consumer

brad_b
02-19-2009, 03:05 AM
As an arborist/ tree surgeon/ landscaper... I've worked on many, many trees throughout my career, but even if I was running late on a job and had another scheduled, I would always call and let the person know I was running late. Letting clients know of a schedule change is, not only polite, but mandatory as far as I'm concerned.

Ladders are the most dangerous things to use in tree trimming unless it's to get up to the first tier of branches. Bucket trucks are always the quickest, though I still use the rope and saddle method whenever I decide to take on a tree job. These days I mainly focus on landscape construction and ponds... I'm not quite as young as I used to be and climbing with a chainsaw attached is hard work... :)

James81
02-19-2009, 03:09 AM
I do have a slightly offtopic idea that can provide you with hours of mindless fun while you wait for the tree people to show up. Plus, you will be putting tree thoughts out into the universe and due to the laws of attraction it might actually bring them to you via our universal bonds.

1. Get a guitar
2. If you don't know how to play the guitar, get a chord chart.
3. Learn how to strum the G-chord.
4. Strum the G-chord.
5. Sing the word "Treeeeeees..." to the tune of the G-chord.
6. When the G-chord tune fades, strum it again.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 continously.

James81
02-19-2009, 03:24 AM
oh, and if the G-chord doesn't quite fit your singing tone, try learning the C-chord.

rhymegirl
02-19-2009, 04:17 AM
As an arborist/ tree surgeon/ landscaper... I've worked on many, many trees throughout my career, but even if I was running late on a job and had another scheduled, I would always call and let the person know I was running late. Letting clients know of a schedule change is, not only polite, but mandatory as far as I'm concerned.

That is good to hear. And that's the kind of concern and consideration I appreciate.

My time is valuable, too. If I receive a phone call telling me the work will be done on either of 2 days, then I expect it to be done, or if it's not possible because they got behind schedule at another location, at the very least they should call and tell me they're not coming.

And now it started snowing here a few hours ago so they'll probably put it off for a few weeks until the snow goes away.

Silver King
02-19-2009, 04:44 AM
You mean they still haven't showed up, nor have they called? Time to take Maryn's excellent suggestion upthread and cancel your business with them, then find a more reliable company to do the work for you.

It would be interesting to know how much time and money is wasted by companies who don't honor their service calls in a timely manner. Just think of all the people who miss work to stay home and wait for those no-shows?

writerterri
02-19-2009, 04:56 AM
Whew, Ryme! I thought you were smokin' crack and were dealing with tree people.

rhymegirl
02-19-2009, 05:15 AM
Whew, Ryme! I thought you were smokin' crack and were dealing with tree people.

The tree people are making me want to smoke some crack, Terri.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j80/rhymegirl/treebeard.jpg

Silver King
02-19-2009, 05:30 AM
The tree people are making me want to smoke some crack, Terri.
I was VERY tempted to make a naughty comment about that statement, but I caught myself just in time.

So, have the tree people shown up yet?

rhymegirl
02-19-2009, 05:32 AM
I was VERY tempted to make a naughty comment about that statement, but I caught myself just in time.

So, have the tree people shown up yet?

It's 8:30 at night, SK! There ain't gonna be no tree people now.

writerterri
02-19-2009, 05:40 AM

Unless you find a crack dealer. :tongue

Angie
02-19-2009, 05:40 AM
They are swinging from tree to tree in the jungle at Orlando Bloom's house.

They appear to be having a good time. I would call a different tree service. One that doesn't like Orlando Bloom. Or jungles.

Silver King
02-19-2009, 05:43 AM
Oh. I thought the sun was still shining where you live.

But you never know, the tree people might still show up and bring spot lights and stuff to illuminate the yard. You'd better stay awake all night and make sure you don't miss them, just in case they like to work at night.

Angie
02-19-2009, 05:45 AM
You'd better stay awake all night and make sure you don't miss them.

The crack should help with that.

ETA: Make sure they're professionals. Tardiness may be the least of your worries.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1289/571983767_6f7616c10c.jpg?v=0

David Conner
02-19-2009, 05:48 AM
Something you must understand about tree people is that they are drawn to their profession by a solid admiration of their subject. This admiration is rooted in early experiences when the seeds of such affinity were sown in their youthful minds. Over time it comes to permeate every fiber of their being. Attempting to resist those budding aspirations would only sap their vital energies. Of course, over time, they come to share the essential characteristics of the objects of their admiration, and, well, trees just do everything very, very...(to be continued)...

Silver King
02-19-2009, 06:50 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1289/571983767_6f7616c10c.jpg?v=0
Looks like the work of a night crew that lost track of their bearings, poor tree people who never seem to get the respect they deserve.

On an almost serious note, you can often narrow the time frame when certain professionals are due to arrive at your home by insisting on an accurate time. For example, don't settle on, "Our service representative will be at your home on the 10th between 6:00 A.M and 6:00 P.M."

Screw that. Tell them you're busy, and you can't possibly be home that day, or any other day except during your lunch hour (or whatever hour). They'll hem and haw, bitch and moan and whatnot, but if you stick to your guns and insist on the time frame when you're available, they'll often accommodate your schedule. And if they don't show up at the appointed time, that's they're tough luck and not yours. Don't answer the door and find someone else who can do the work at your convenience, and who won't act like they're doing you a favor by keeping you waiting around as if no one else in the world can satisfy your needs at the moment.

Kateri
02-19-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm near the fires in Victoria, the tree people are evacuated. I am having coffee with them and they are in my garage. They now realise that they have no real reason to return to their trees, even if they grow again. They've put down roots here and I doubt they'll branch out any further.

rhymegirl
02-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Something you must understand about tree people is that they are drawn to their profession by a solid admiration of their subject. This admiration is rooted in early experiences when the seeds of such affinity were sown in their youthful minds. Over time it comes to permeate every fiber of their being. Attempting to resist those budding aspirations would only sap their vital energies. Of course, over time, they come to share the essential characteristics of the objects of their admiration, and, well, trees just do everything very, very...(to be continued)...

Some might say you're barking up the wrong tree. Others would say you have tree-mendous insight on the subject.

2old2pb
02-19-2009, 10:35 PM
They're watching Pirates of the Caribbean:Dead Man's Chest on AFN with us, the Maytag repairmen.

rhymegirl
02-20-2009, 02:07 AM
Update:

Husband called them. They're supposed to be coming tomorrow morning. We shall see.

rhymegirl
02-20-2009, 05:27 PM
The Tree People are here!!

Wayne K
02-20-2009, 05:37 PM
:welcome::PartySmil:TheWave::PartySmil
The Tree People are here!!

Wayne K
02-20-2009, 05:39 PM
They're going to chop down trees and lie to you. I heard that's how George Bush started out.

rhymegirl
02-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Well, one of the trees is very close to my house. If they chop the wrong way....

Right now I can hear a buzz saw out there.

Bmwhtly
02-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Tardy Tree-People?

Maybe they had to go to the doctor to get their woodworm taken care of?
Or maybe they got ambushed by a gang of dogs who need to pee?
Perhaps they can't move because a bunch of kids have climbed up them and are swinging from the branches?

rhymegirl
02-20-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm worried about the poor little squirrels. Where will they live now?

I said to my husband, "Do you think there are squirrels in those trees?"

He said, "As soon as they hear that buzz saw, they'll be out of there fast!"

Unique
02-20-2009, 06:16 PM

Okay, I'll bite. What did you expect?

The Tree People from 'Hot August Night' ... 'we're over here!'

Those poor squirrels. They'll have to move into your attic now.