PDA

View Full Version : Do I tell agent another agent said no after reading full m/s?

TrixieLox
02-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Hello, this fab agent is interested in reading more of my book but has asked whether anyone else has read it. One agent has it now. Anyone else been asked this before?

NeuroFizz
02-18-2009, 05:21 PM
You only have to mention where the manuscript is right now if an agent asks. You have no obligation to tell where it has been, and there is no value I can see in doing so.

Saskatoonistan
02-18-2009, 05:21 PM
As a matter of courtesy,you tell them if someone is reading it, not if it was rejected. If the agent asked for an exclusive, that's a different story and frankly, it's not in your best interest to agree to one.

waylander
02-18-2009, 05:27 PM
I suspect the agent is more concerned over which (if any) editors have seen it

TrixieLox
02-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys.

James81
02-18-2009, 07:39 PM
I've started to look at the querying process as almost a dating/approach kind of process.

It helps me answer these types of questions if I relate it to something I'm more used to.

That being said, do you tell a girl you are asking out that the last girl you asked out rejected you? Do you tell a girl you are on a date with that you are dating other girls? If you become exclusive with a girl, do you date other girls?

The answers to those questions gives you an idea of "basic" way to handle your dealings with querying (at least it makes sense to me anyway).

Because querying is very much like dating in the sense that you sample a large pool of people, and then narrow it down as you get more "serious" in the process until you end up exclusive with one person.

Plus, it's the same rules of attraction in dating that apply to the rules of attraction and interest in your book. If you approach a girl who is obviously beautiful and has guys asking her out all the time, how do you think you can BEST catch her attention and stand out from the rest of those guys? What actions do you do, what things do you say/not say, in the initial reactions to gain her interest in you?

You handle querying in a much similar way. Or at least that's the way I am approaching it.

KikiteNeko
02-18-2009, 07:46 PM
I have heard of agents asking if another agent is presently reading it, but not if any other agent read it in the past. That seems a bit odd. Anyway I would just say "This manuscript is also presently being read by another agent. If you would like to read exclusively, I can notify you once that's possible." I would not mention the agent or the agency.

When I got my offer for representation, I emailed all the agents who still had partials/fulls and said I'd accepted an offer elsewhere. One asked me which agent I'd signed with, and though I'm sure there was nothing malicious about it, I never responded. It's a privacy thing.

adtabb
02-18-2009, 09:08 PM
From what I know of agents who answer questions on forums - there response is somtimes - if another agent in my agency has seen it, I don't want to unless they bring it to me.

I don't have much personal experience with agents, but this was discussed in one recent agent invitation chat on another website.

They may just be interested to know if it has been reviewed, re-worked, or it is basically a first view.

It's up to you what you say, as little as necessary is probably good here.

cooeedownunder
02-19-2009, 01:10 AM
I wouldn't tell an agent it had been rejected, only if it was currently being considered.

scope
02-19-2009, 01:58 AM
I would never suggest mentioning anything about rejection. Just tell the interested agent that your manuscript is presently being reviewed by another agency.