Nobody remembers . . .

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
admiral_1957_1.jpg

. . . when gravity-defying portable record players were all the rage.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Soon there were major technological advances and we had cell phones.

nokia.gif

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
When I used to go spend the summer with my Nonna in upstate New York, she had one of these. I remember it so well. She let me play my Bobby Sherman, Donny Osmond, the Jackson Five and Beatles albums on it.

I was so in love with Bobby Sherman the summer I turned 13 that my Uncle Frank bought his latest album and faked Bobby's autograph for me for my birthday.

Wow, what a memory! :D

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Instead of a birth certificate they're just going to start carbon dating me soon. I had one of these when I was young. Fred used to come over with Wilma and we would dance all night. I miss hot dogasauruses and bronto burgers.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
But...how on Earth did you upload music from one of those "vinyl" things to your computer? Do they have USB ports?

I'm confused.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
But...how on Earth did you upload music from one of those "vinyl" things to your computer? Do they have USB ports?

I'm confused.
Earth and music are the only two words in that sentence I understand. I need to get my English/old buzzard dictionary out to explore the question further.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was so in love with Bobby Sherman the summer I turned 13 that my Uncle Frank bought his latest album and faked Bobby's autograph for me for my birthday.

Wow, what a memory! :D
Ahh, Bobby Sherman!

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I had one of those! It was used... but I had one. Wore it out playing Tom Jones records.

And believe it or not, thinker, you actually can 'upload' music from one of those things to CDs. :) It involves wires, gizmos, software, hardware, patience, and holding your tongue juuuuuuuust right. Before all of Tom's music was available on CD, Ol' Boy helped me do it.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I had a couple of record players when I was a kid. One was the typical kind for pre-adolescent girls with somebody's face on it. Probably Donny Osmond. And then I graduated to a more grown up record player, more like the one in the picture;

Fun Fact: When my boys were little, we were at my ex's parent's house at Christmas. When the ex and I decided to get out the Christmas albums, the boys were astonished. They said, "Wow! What gigantic CDs!" (They weren't joking).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We were all excited when the first personal computers came along.

steampunkpc.jpg

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Fun Fact: When my boys were little, we were at my ex's parent's house at Christmas. When the ex and I decided to get out the Christmas albums, the boys were astonished. They said, "Wow! What gigantic CDs!" (They weren't joking).
:roll:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget the first laptops.

steampunk-laptop.jpg

Atani

Registered
Reaction score
In the backwoods, literally...the tiny country tow
Being about 30 now, I must be one of the last people I know who enjoyed these gadgets as a kid... I don't remember what brand it was, but I had a record player as a young child - but I listened to story book records. Those were fun :)

Then when I was about 12 my parents gave me my first "stereo" which was an enormous creature with speakers about as big as I was, a record player that actually would change the record for you (up to 6 or 8 I think) & even an 8-track tape player! Needless to say I wasn't able to enjoy that for very long. I remember rocking out to my mom's old Credence Clearwater records though :)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I proudly admit that I listened to 45s of Duran Duran, Pat Benatar, Cyndie Lauper, A Flock of Seagulls and MANY others on my record player.