need some circus stuff

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
my MC knows she's going to die today, and in her society the day one dies allows them access to a circus/fair/carnival (not sure the differences) where no one else is allowed to attend. That means clowns make jokes just to them, tightrope walkers, fire-breathers etc. risk their lives just for one person and whomever they invite (family etc.). So on and so forth.

I need some info about circuses/fairs etc. Not just what goes on event-wise under the bigtop but also stuff outside. Some attractions, rides, stands, etc. Common stuff. Much appreciated--already googled this and didn't find much help.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think of a circus as primarily a show performed (such as those you mentioned) by professional circus people. A fair (state or county) as an event with exhibits, rides of one sort or the other (the "midway"), amateur contests (canning, animals, baked goods, etc.), and maybe some events or shows (horseback riding, a contest featuring either a known or unknown act, a tractor pull, big trucks). I think of a carnival as primarily rides, small shows ("See the tattooed lady!"), and booths selling various products or crafts. This might not be the official definition, just my way of thinking of the difference. There can be some overlap on exactly what each of them feature based on how large the event is.

Last edited:

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
i think a fair with games is actually more of a fair and a carnival together, but everyone just calls it a fair.

a fair alone is something like a craft fair, or artisan fair with just booths for things. once the games are involved, most people will still call it a fair, even though the games are more of a canival thing.

a circus is, to me, usually more professional seeming and more of a sit down and watch feeling to it. it's like a show whereas a carnival/fair is more of a walk around thing with shows you can go to, but there's still a ton of other things to do like games and stuff.

things at a circus (from a website):
Acrobats
Animals – horses, dogs, camels, zebras, tigers, llamas, alpacas, elephants, lions, ostriches
Balloons
Band
Big top
Clowns
Contortionist
Costumes
Custard pie
Diablo troupe
Face painter
Fire eater
High wire
Ice cream
Juggler
Popcorn
Props
Rings
Ringmaster
Strongman
Trapeze
Water/confetti in a bucket
Wire Walker

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would think of using one of those summertime amusement parks instead of a circus. The irony of it seems to fit. Give it a name that that somehow relates to the story, such as the Golden Sunset Amusement Park or Rainbow Pier.

Just an idea.