A how-to question about querying

Red.Ink.Rain

Not your kid brother's YA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristin-briana.livejournal.com
When an agent asks you to resubmit any future works, how do you write that on your query? I had my dream agent ask me to resubmit to her if I wrote a contemporary YA in the future, and I'm not sure how to remind her of this when I query her again. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Madisonwrites

The Unicorn Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com
Just tell it like it is:

Dear My Wonderful Dream Agent:

On the date of 00/00/09, I submitted a query to you for my novel, I Can't Believe You Didn't Like It. You rejected this story, but also told me that should I write a contemporary YA novel, you would like me to submit it to you. This is exactly what I have done. If you do not remember this, I have attached my original query and your response for your convieniance.

My novel, titled......

And you go on. I believe that would be the best way.

Good luck and happy writing! :D

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Dear My Wonderful Dream Agent:

On the date of 00/00/09, I submitted a query to you for my novel, I Can't Believe You Didn't Like It. You rejected this story, but also told me that should I write a contemporary YA novel, you would like me to submit it to you.

You don't want to start off with the specifics about having been rejected.

Start with the hook and query and then put the "last time I queried you you said send me one of this kind of novel" in the last paragraph.

So:

Dear Agent:

On ARTICHOKE ISLAND, peas snap in terror as celery stalks by midnight. Jane Doe was lured by the promise of vegging out in a tropical paradise, but soon found that the Hitler-cloning space aliens had transformed this Eden into a virtual Hell.

Jane's tae kwon do skills soon come in handy, as she chops and slices her way through the enemy to rescue Chad Hunk, the fiance she had believed killed at sea. But the little green men in brown shirts have other plans for Jane and Chad...like breeding a half-human half-veggie master race.

When I queried you in August, 2007, you said you'd be very interested in reading a thriller with a strong vegetarian angle. I think that ARTICHOKE ISLAND, which is complete at 90,000 words, more than meets that definition. The full manuscript is available on request.

Sincerely,

Doctor Vegetable Moreau

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto IceCreamPrincess.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Now I want to read ARTICHOKE ISLAND.

Red.Ink.Rain

Not your kid brother's YA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristin-briana.livejournal.com
So, this is the opening paragraph I came up with to introduce my novel to this agent.

Dear Ms. Wexler:

When I queried you in December of last year with my YA fantasy, you invited me to resubmit if I ever wrote a more contemporary young adult novel. CITY OF SHADOWS (70,000 words) is a dystopian YA about what happens when a girl born into wealth and power meets a boy who never should have been born at all.

Sound good?