Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Hi all! :) I'm trying to outline a plot for the sff romance novel I'm writing, and I'm stuck for a climax. So, if any of you would like to brainstorm a little with me I would really appreciate it. :Hail:

Here's the general story: the society has small clans composed of a leader, his co-husband(s) (often these are the leader's younger brother, cousin, or best friend/blood brother) and their wives and children. One of the characters, Ravennin, is a born leader, but blocked from attaining this role because he has a hormonal disorder called hyperterritoriality, which makes him have difficulty tolerating the presence of other males, much less getting along well enough with one to be co-husbands. Ravennin's father views him as flawed and a dangerous disgrace, and Ravennin has come to agree and think of himself as flawed, which makes him overcompensate by rigidly controlling himself instead of relying on his instincts, which are his one strength which could actually earn him the leadership position he wants so badly.

Then there are 3 other characters, with the strengths of creativity/openmindedness, sneaky strategy, and loyalty/faith. The premise of the story is that the characters find happiness through becoming a family(clan). So the climax of the story needs to show them working together as a family, using their strengths to accomplish what none of them could accomplish alone - making their dreams come true. But exactly what events could demonstrate this?

My vague ideas: The climax should probably include Ravennin officially becoming a clan leader. To do this, he would probably have to aquire territory or some other prerequisite. This might be won as a prize from a contast such as a wargame, where the 4 characters would have to use their 4 strengths together to win. Another possibility is that since family is often symbolized by a child, the climax might include some sneaky planning and struggle surrounding the conception and birth of the clan's first child.

So, anyone have any nice sff ideas for what specifically the climax could be?

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
I always thought of the climax as the point where the conflict, having escalated to the breaking point, actually breaks loose. I'd call the resolution the part where they decide to work together as a family to achieve their dreams.

What I don't know about the story yet is a) what the family's dreams are, b) what the conflicts are that threaten the dreams, and c) what each of the characters want that puts them into conflict. IOW, are the conflicts centered around the hormonal imbalance itself, or around the character's behavior as a result, or around everyone else's reaction to them, etc.

Jerry Cleaver, in his book Immediate Fiction, wrote that the end is in the beginning. Meaning, the conclusion of the story should include the answer to the problems presented at the beginning. I thought it was good advice.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
azbikergirl said:
I always thought of the climax as the point where the conflict, having escalated to the breaking point, actually breaks loose. I'd call the resolution the part where they decide to work together as a family to achieve their dreams.

The end is in the beginning in that the beginning is the characters' dreams, and the end is them finally achieving and living out their dreams.

The novel is a romance, and as such the focus throughout the book is on the developing relationships (i.e. being a family) between the characters. They actually decide to be a family at the end of act 2 (using the 3 act structure). So act 3, the climactic act, is about the attempt to be a family, the struggle against social prejudice and other factors opposed to them being a factory, and the climactic victory where they overcome this opposition to oppicially and permanently become a family, perhaps as symbolized by having a child. The resolution would be them living happily ever after as a family.

What I don't know about the story yet is a) what the family's dreams are,

Ravennin's dream is to be a clan leader (which includes having loyal followers who believe in him and being a husband and father).

Lieann's dream is to find his soulmate and be respected for his intelligence and strategic ability instead of being viewed with disdain and contempt because of his physical type.

Attranath's dream is to be a loyal follower of a great leader who loves him.

Merru wants to be happy, but doesn't really have a dream of what will make him happy at the beginning; he has to discover as he goes along that what he really needed was a best friend, a true love, and a family to protect (maybe also students to teach).

Most of these goals have already been accomplished by the end of act 2, so the climax only needs to cover the characters starting to actually be a family and act as one, Lieann gaining fame and respect for his intelligence, Merru protecting his family and becoming a teacher, and Ravennin's leadership becoming officially recognized.

b) what the conflicts are that threaten the dreams, and c) what each of the characters want that puts them into conflict. IOW, are the conflicts centered around the hormonal imbalance itself, or around the character's behavior as a result, or around everyone else's reaction to them, etc.

The main conflict is peer pressure and social prejudice against each of the characters and against their relationships with each other. (I don't write violence, so the threats against the dreams and the methods the characters use to overcome the threats must all be non-violent: a contest, sneaky plans, blackmail, kidnapping, etc. but nobody trying to kill or maim each other.) The conflict in act 3 are centered around the characters' claiming each other as a family and society's objections to this. Thus the characters will be victorious when society officially recognizes them as a family and will not threaten the family's existence any more. I don't know what the conflicts are in any more detail than this yet.

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
Why does society object to them becoming a family?

How hard is it to carve out new territory? Is the land all taken, so that the problem is that in order to be an official clan they have to take/win/buy land from someone else?

How does Ravennin overcome his hyperterritoriality (aka over-dominance, which is easier to type) enough to get on with the other three?

Over-dominance sometimes occurs in male rats - the commonest cure is castration, but otherwise the problem peaks around puberty and generally fades out by late middle-age. It is sometimes true that over-dominant bucks can learn to get on with a small group of other males whom they are close to and have grown up with, and direct their aggressive energies outward to defend the group.

It is pretty-much unheard-of for an over-dominant buck to accept another adult male they haven't grown up with, but they will often accept youngsters. Often they still bully their companions even if they don't actively attack them: but I once had a super-aggressive buck called Thorn who was actually a very benign pack-boss, though he would attack anyone and anything outside his pack (except female rats of course). So it is *possible* for an over-dominant to bond with other males.

A wargame or meleé (moderate, controlled violence treated as a sport and generally stopping short at the occasional broken arm) sounds like a good way for them to win land. Maybe they could attempt to win a wargame/meleé by some sort of sneaky, non-violent strategy and be disqualified for sharp practice/not putting on enough of a violent show - and then go on to save the day by putting their plan into action in a *real* war.

Sneaky, cheating strategies could be for example a wargame where the opposing team has to hold a particular goal-object or location, and they lure them away from it in some cunning way while one of their number sneaks in behind. Or *they* have to guard a goal-object, and they make it look as if they have gone out scouting and left only one guard but in fact they are all hiding under home-made camouflage nets, and when the other team rush in they end up surrounded.

Actually, the invention of camouflage in a society where soldiers fight in bright clan colours would be a a good way to show the little group using their brains in a lateral, innovative way and being looked askance at for it.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Just my 3 cents:

How about some sort of natural disaster/calamity that rips their society apart, seperating many from their clans, killing many others (perhaps) and putting all in dire straits (still one of my favorite bands). Your charcters' skills might be utilized to save portions of the society; a current leader (maybe the father) might be struck down/injured, forcing someone to step up to the plate. Just a thought; maybe it's a little too Hollywood for ya.

Rob :)

mdmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mdmkay.blogspot.com
I'm not sure if this is even pliable but you say Ravenna has territorial disorder (just making it simpler)........ok wouldn't that make it very hard for him to accept an outside and esp her small (male to boot) child as his own??????? Say there is a war...........which forces the whole family to depend on each other for their survival esp Ravenna would I would assume would be the most aggressive and in one of the battles he ends up killing the husband of this girl...........overcoming a great struggle in himself because she's from the otherside and a rival's woman he still feels obligated to protect and marry her (of course he falls in love with both her and the child) due to the fact they are abandoned during the battle and they will both die if he doesn't take them in....ta da internal vs external conflict........then resolved...of course at first even the family has pb excepting her and the boy in fact making her pregnant might work better since this was a personal rival he killed and he has to actually protect and work inside the family accepting them and finally becoming more of a part of his own family for this to work. Takes a village to raise a child type thinking.....in war you can't fight if their is no one helping take care of you woman and child.

You asked I complied you didn't say anything about the ideas having to be good (laughing).

kappapi99

Registered
Reaction score
:Cheer:I think Rob is on to something...one of the best ways to have a character overcome a "flaw" IMHO, is to have some outside force push him or her into it. If something (ie natural calamity, war, insurrection, etc) occurs that he has no control over, but pushes him into a situation where he has to act, you can write about the inner conflict as well as the outter. That way readers will not only see the change, but they will understand why, and how it came about.

Just my own penny...feel free to ask for change...

KP

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
kapappi and robeiae - I don't need to push a character to overcome a flaw, they've pretty much all overcome their flaws before the climax - what I need is a way for the 4 characters, as a team, to force society to accept them as a family. Or you could say that society is the villain and it is the character who needs to be forced by the other characters to overcome its flaw of prejudice and rejecting people who are different. And, I want the book to be non-violent - that means no deaths, if at all possible. But, a minor disaster such as a blackout might be a lot of fun...

whitehound said:
Why does society object to them becoming a family?

Prejudice and preconceptions of several varieties. Each of the characters is 'weird' in some way - Ravennin is hyperterritorial, Attranath is a submissive, Lieann is feminine looking and known to be gay, and Merru is a construct (it's too complicated to explain, but people assume he has the brain of an animal and will treat him like an animal unless/until he demonstrates he's a human, at which point the people think he must not really be a construct, but a person disguised as a construct...) So society is prejudiced against each of them individuality, prejudiced against the ways the characters disturb the status quo and defy tradition in attempting to overcome their problems, and also prejudiced against homosexuality, and thus the 4 of them being united as a homosexual family.

How hard is it to carve out new territory? Is the land all taken, so that the problem is that in order to be an official clan they have to take/win/buy land from someone else?

I don't know - I can make that whichever way supports the climax.

How does Ravennin overcome his hyperterritoriality (aka over-dominance, which is easier to type) enough to get on with the other three?
Ravennin's real problem is that he thinks nobody likes him, so he's shy and defensive and hasn't developed any people skills. His father really messed him up by telling him he is flawed and dangerous. So Ravennin overcomes his problems by being convinced that the other 3 characters like him in various ways: with lust, with hero worship, with romantic love, and with friendship. Then once Ravennin feels he has some people firmly on his side he has more self-confidence and peace of mind when dealing with outsiders.

Thanks for that info about rats, I didn't know that! I love learning about animal sociology. :)

A wargame or meleé (moderate, controlled violence treated as a sport and generally stopping short at the occasional broken arm) sounds like a good way for them to win land. Maybe they could attempt to win a wargame/meleé by some sort of sneaky, non-violent strategy and be disqualified for sharp practice/not putting on enough of a violent show - and then go on to save the day by putting their plan into action in a *real* war.

Sneaky, cheating strategies could be for example a wargame where the opposing team has to hold a particular goal-object or location, and they lure them away from it in some cunning way while one of their number sneaks in behind. Or *they* have to guard a goal-object, and they make it look as if they have gone out scouting and left only one guard but in fact they are all hiding under home-made camouflage nets, and when the other team rush in they end up surrounded.

Actually, the invention of camouflage in a society where soldiers fight in bright clan colours would be a a good way to show the little group using their brains in a lateral, innovative way and being looked askance at for it.

Hmm, yeah, some good ideas there. Although, I don't want it to seem like they cheated; more like they beat the traditionalists at their own game. Do you happen to have any more detailed ideas about how a wargame to win territory might work?

JuliePgh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
juliekcohen.com
Maybe the natural disaster wipes out a clan(s). By clan rules, the surviving clans can divy up what property remains, including any children to adopt into their own clan.

Maybe the 4 people learn how to become a family in part by weighing the pros/cons of what to choose from among the property. They can disagree on who or what would benefit them as a whole, and through this conflict bring out their strengths and weaknesses, while also proving Raveninn a leader in how he manages the debate and finally chooses on behalf of the clan. The choice can be an unpopular one among his own clan and peers alike, which will further test his ability to persevere as well as test the loyalty of his clan to support him, despite how much they disagree with his choice.

Perhaps what he chooses from all the wealth and promising children is the one child, who likeRaveninn, is shunned for some genetic reason. And emphasize that he didn't have last pick among the clans, but first, which makes his choice all the more shocking.

Acquiring this child and integrating it into the clan could solve the "have a child" problem. Adoption vs conception.

The climax could come when something quite unique to that child ultimately ensures the surival of his or all clans, perhaps the very genetic disorder that has the child shunned. And perhaps Raveninn never knew this child would one day save them all, but he learned to rely on his instincts, despite all the opposition, and his instincts prove right, making him the leader he knew he could be.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Hmm, that's close to what I want. I don't want to use adoption though. The point, psychologically, of ending a romance with a baby is to show that the pair of lovers who have chosen each other and struggled against lots of opposition to be together becoming unified genetically in the child, and perpetuating their family into the future through that child. So really there ought to be at least two eggs, one for Merru and Lieann, and one for Ravennin and Attranath; or I guess since it's a fantasy one egg for all 4 of them is possible. (Uh, did I mention they're bird-dinosaur-like aliens who lay eggs?)

But, I really like the idea that the thing society was prejudiced against turns out to be the thing which saves society. That's just the sort of thing that would make for a great climax. How might the characters' wierdness end up saving the day?

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
If they're all guys, how are they going to have an egg? This implies the society has quite advanced medical technology or magic.

The idea if gay dinosaurs isn't as way out as it might sound, btw. Homosexuality is known to occur in some species of bird - especially in bearded vultures, for some reason.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
They do have either advanced medical technology or magic. The initial incident of the whole book is a human's mind accidentally getting placed in a construct(biological android/golem)'s body when they expected to get the mind of an alien animal equivalent to a dog. If they can do that, two males can make an egg somehow.

And yeah, I heard that about birds too - a pair of male penguins hatched an egg recently, and somebody just published a children's book version of the story. :)

JuliePgh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
juliekcohen.com
sunandshadow said:
I don't want to use adoption though. The point, psychologically, of ending a romance with a baby is to show that the pair of lovers who have chosen each other and struggled against lots of opposition to be together becoming unified genetically in the child, and perpetuating their family into the future through that child. So really there ought to be at least two eggs, one for Merru and Lieann, and one for Ravennin and Attranath; or I guess since it's a fantasy one egg for all 4 of them is possible. (Uh, did I mention they're bird-dinosaur-like aliens who lay eggs?)

But, I really like the idea that the thing society was prejudiced against turns out to be the thing which saves society. That's just the sort of thing that would make for a great climax. How might the characters' wierdness end up saving the day?

Wierdness is relative. Maybe it's a skill he/she has. Perhaps the ability to dive beneath water, or something about the wings that would allow her/him to fly in the worst of storms when others can't...there are a lot of possibilities. Give this child something he/she can do or is not prone to vs the elements. It's hard for me to suggest more without fleshing out an entire plot.

And since you're talking dinosaur-like eggs.... why does the brining together of their genetic code in an egg(s) have to come at the end. Can't it come in the beginning. Maybe you should be concerned with the survival of the eggs (the "normal ones" vs the "handicapped" one). The Parents could go all out to protect the normal one, but only Raveninn fights for the "handicapped" one. Again, such a struggle could test all of their strengths and weaknesses. The hatching, which one will actually hatch, could be the ending. Or what appears when it does hatch. You have a lot of aspects to play with here.

Maybe there's one egg that requires the insertion of the 4 character's genetic code at various key points (i.e FOUR STAGES of development for the fetus). If one of the characters is not present due to other circumstances, it could endanger the egg. Give each character a special needlelike body part that infuses the genetic material through a port in the egg or something like that. Maybe the fact that Raveninn is already "flawed" genetically causes the debate and arguments over whether he should even contribue his genetic material as opposed to having a donor, or others could try to prevent Raveninn from returning home when it's his time to contribute because they know it's his turn and they don't want more genetically imperfect children in their society.

This wouldn't require special technology if you make it all natural biology to them. it just requires thinking through their biology, conception process, development process and birth process. Don't be constrained by our own biology and that of animals as we know it.

It's your world, if you treat something as everyday / normal process in your world, then the reader will accept the rules as "fact" for that world. Hope this helps.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
I tried to read this all very fast, because there were many posts. Hopefully, this is not a duplicate.

As soon as you imply it's a disorder, rather than a genetic thing, (it sounds like a combination) the first step is his becoming aware he isn't what he wants to be. Once, you introduce that element, you can go anywhere you want. You can make a white man wish he was black, or a woman wish she were a man. You can have a boy wish he were a fish, or an eagle. The idea of people not being content with who and what they are is not new. But the key is showing the inner turmoil, of being something you don't want to be, yet, perhaps loving it, and being in a wrestling match with yourself.

In my mind, you have to have him come to a lightbulb experience, where he goes from thinking "What's wrong with everyone else," to "What's wrong with me,"

And to do that, you bring in his desires. "I want to be loved, I don't want to be confrontational." In a sense, you make him like everyone in the world with a personality disorder, who has an epiphany. "What's wrong with me?"

"I've got Confrontita blood in my veins, like a poison passed down through my father's loins. It's my nature to fight, but there is another side emerging...I had a dream where I wasn't my kind, and felt release from turmoil...I want to feel that way again."

But you don't want to leave him, in "futility" which is, "I can never change". To do that, perhaps you can have him discover ancient writings of someone like himself who went to a special place, metaphorical or otherwise, where they transformed.

"I've read in the books of Illumaform, that if I reach the light of...my anger will be gone, and my nature will change."

Throw in motive. "Unless I change, I will never have the one I love..."

Generally speaking, you are drawing upon real life, because some people have a deeply ingrained flaw. But, if I were writing something like this, here's the direction I'd go. I'd make it a life or death thing. He "NEEDS" this particular woman or his species and bloodline perishes. Perhaps, "He will perish" as well, if she refuses his seed, like a whacko salmon swimming upstream.

He has to have an immensely complex reason for risking his life to become a different person than he is.

Last edited:

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Nateskate - Thank you for that nice clear analysis. :) That's actually the flipside of what I want to do. Instead of a lightbulb moment where he goes from thinking "What's wrong with everyone else?" to "What's wrong with me?", he starts out thinking "I must control my dangerous flaw." then has an epiphany where he realizes that he's not flawed, everyone else is wrong in their stereotyping of him. So instead of setting out to change, he sets out to prove to everyone that they're wrong by beating them at their own game, proving that he's not just unflawed but that trusting his instincts will lead him to greatness.

The moral of the novel is: Don't change your nature to suit the goals society's stereotyping assigns to you, because that will make you miserable. Instead disregard society and choose goals suited to your nature, because that's how you'll find happiness.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
JuliePgh said:
The hatching, which one will actually hatch, could be the ending. Or what appears when it does hatch. You have a lot of aspects to play with here.

Yeah, I like that idea of having the hatching occur at the climax. It's not the whole climax, because something still has to end the threat against the family by making society more accepting, but it makes a good key piece of the climax.

Maybe there's one egg that requires the insertion of the 4 character's genetic code at various key points (i.e FOUR STAGES of development for the fetus). If one of the characters is not present due to other circumstances, it could endanger the egg. Give each character a special needlelike body part that infuses the genetic material through a port in the egg or something like that. Maybe the fact that Raveninn is already "flawed" genetically causes the debate and arguments over whether he should even contribue his genetic material as opposed to having a donor, or others could try to prevent Raveninn from returning home when it's his time to contribute because they know it's his turn and they don't want more genetically imperfect children in their society.

Ooh, that's a fascinating idea! I'm not sure whether it should go in this book, maybe it would be better in the sequel, but I can definitely use that somewhere, thank you! :)

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
sunandshadow said:
The moral of the novel is: Don't change your nature to suit the goals society's stereotyping assigns to you, because that will make you miserable. Instead disregard society and choose goals suited to your nature, because that's how you'll find happiness.
That's OK provided the goals suited to your nature aren't world domination, rape, torture etc.. The world would have been a better place if e.g. Stalin or Hitler had changed their goals to conform with society!

Surely a more widely applicable moral - and one which seems to fit your story even better - is "Instead of blaming yourself for your perceived character-flaws, find a positive way of using them and turn them into virtues."

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Actually Hitler's original goal was to become an artist - he only got bitter after he was rejected by the art school he applied to. There's a fairly famous short story on the subject called "Hitler Painted Roses". Yeah, some people aren't naturally empathetic and either don't care if they hurt others or enjoy doing so, which is a sort of instinct that needs to be curbed or channeled to protect society. But on the other hand I believe that much of the misery in life comes from people forcing themselves to go against their instincts. Balancing morality and desire is one of the things I want to touch on in the novel, but I think that in most cases desire ought to win. Pro-instinct is not a moral you see expounded very often, so I feel it will add something important to our culture if I write a book about it.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
sunandshadow said:
Nateskate - Thank you for that nice clear analysis. :) That's actually the flipside of what I want to do. Instead of a lightbulb moment where he goes from thinking "What's wrong with everyone else?" to "What's wrong with me?", he starts out thinking "I must control my dangerous flaw." then has an epiphany where he realizes that he's not flawed, everyone else is wrong in their stereotyping of him. So instead of setting out to change, he sets out to prove to everyone that they're wrong by beating them at their own game, proving that he's not just unflawed but that trusting his instincts will lead him to greatness.

Wow, that's an interesting approach. It just runs counter-intuitive to how my brain works. I really throw human nature into my stories, big time. I'd say all my characters, in the WIP are flawed. Some are likably flawed, others are arrogant and twisted.

In book one, which is laying the ground work for the series, people's flaws generally get the best of them. Giving in to their fears and anger pretty much brings the rest of their race and their world to the brink of extinction.

And the sad thing is, we (the reader) will stand at a crossroads with them. We understand what they felt, and why they made the choice, but being omniscient, we see what they fail to see.

So, when a daughter is embittered because she never took the time to talk to her father about an arranged marriage, we realize the gravity of being in her place, where all control is taken from her. But in this case, being at this time in history, this was a normal way of life, for kings to choose mates for their children. She is left taking a risk, "Trust my father," or "rebell against my father."

Her needling brother (Who hates his father) torments her, and purposely drives a wedge between them. It's an irony. She doesn't realize, the year before, she met a stranger and fell in love with this man. This is the very man her father chose. He was a prince, and perfect, the very person she wished in all the world to marry.

However, she picked up on her brother's bitterness, and errantly pressumed her father didn't care about her, and cheated her of her hope.

But here's the saddest part (of this section of the story), all she has to do is tell her father (who was always good to her) her fears and reservations. She has a chance for everything to work out. Instead of confronting her father with her fears, which he encourages, she emotionally withdraws, and pulls the old silent treatment, fuming inside, pretending outwardly that everything is okay. He can't read her mind, and weeps at night, mourning the loss of her love.

And because she can't let go of her anger toward her father, she does something terribly foolish. Her choice to stay bitter, which was entirely due to not giving her father the benefit of the doubt, winds up setting in motion a series of dominos, unleashing an overwhelming evil, and a day of sorrow that couldn't be undone.

She was the most beautiful woman in the world, and bitterness was the poison that consumed her. What makes it a tempting story for me, is that you realize she was a few choices from being "inwardly", the most beautiful person in the world. She's never portrayed as "evil". She just lacked insight, and things got way out of hand. And isn't that reality. People who don't intend to hurt others, hurt others? People who mean well, panic and do stupid things they later regret?

Book one is bittersweet. It has to lay the groundwork that our choices, more than the enemies malice, winds up having the greatest impact on our world.

Book two is warmer, and funnier. That's surprising, because in book two, half the characters are living these complex lies. They not only lied to others about their real identities, but some have lied to themselves. It just makes the journey, and the battle against the forces set on destroying the world, more complex. For awhile, as these revelations are made, you have this dilema, "Which is the greater danger, trusting this other person, who I've found has lied to me for years, or risk facing the monstrous task of trying to survive without them?"

Last edited:

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
There's lots of human nature in my stories too, but I have a different concept of human nature. To say that someone is flawed implies that there is some ideal that they deviate from, some perfect person person they could have been if only..., and some utopion civilization we could have if everyone were this perfect kind of person. But I don't think there's any such thing as a perfect person, I think that having a variety of people is essential to the functioning of society- Different Strokes For Different Folks, Opposites Attract, and other pop songs of the 70s and 80s ;)

Thus in the mythology for my story there is a pantheon of 12 clans of totem animals, each of which has one strength but many areas they are not good at or interested in. Like Tygers are great at hunting, but not real big on sanitation or art or scholarship. As long as each of these clans keeps to itself they will have only that one strength and they will remain animals, it's only when man of one clan falls in love with a woman of another clan and they have halfbreed children that the first rudimentary civilization gets started and they take the first step towards evolving into people. Then in modern times, civilization is thought of as a gestalt phenomenon depending on the fact that people of all 12 totems or personality types live and work together.

This is reflected in the plot too - each of the 4 main characters has a different totem, and as they struggle to become a family their strengths compensate for the others' weaknesses. Like at the beginning Merru is openminded but has a fear of commitment, and Attranath is stuck in social conditioning but is extremely loyal and faithful, and each learns from the other to dare to face his preconceptions and fear when the path to happiness requires this. So Attranath defies social expectations for Merru, and Merru commits to Attranath with a vow of blood brotherhood, giving them both the foundation they need to take the next step: for Attranath, tempting Ravennin into a defiance of social expectations so big nobody even imagined it before, and for Merru, committing to love Lieann with his heart and soul, forever.

And this is also why I want the climax to show how each character's strength is necessary to the final victory - that they could only do it because all of them worked together.

Status
Not open for further replies.