Any way to make Word 2007 read HTML?

Reaction score
I have an AlphaSmart Neo, which doesn't format anything. Just text. No italics, no bold, no underline. But I still love it.

Anyhoo...I find that if I bracket text _like this, with underlines_ and hook up the Neo to my laptop, with Word open, and hit send, it will copy the document from my Neo to the computer, but letter by letter. Very slowly.

Still, at least text written like _this_ will appear like this and it saves me going through the entire document putting in italics where I want them.

However. I wondered if there was a way to put HTML tags on either side of a word <i>like so</i> and have Word 2007 auto-format it?

The reason I ask is for time-saving. I can upload an entire 9k workspace from my Neo to the computer in seconds using AlphaSmart Manager, but it doesn't convert any text; it just shows whatever keypresses I've used without auto-formatting text.

Manager uploads as an .rtf which I can later copy/paste into word or 'open with...' so if I had all the HTML tags in a document is there any way of getting word to search them out and convert them?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is what I found on Word 2007

Install a third-party solution

There may be other solutions available to save or export data from your Microsoft Office program into another format.
  1. Visit Microsoft Office Marketplace and browse or search for an add-in.
  2. After you obtain the add-in, follow the vendor's instructions on installing and using the add-in.
Note The third-party products discussed in this article are manufactured by vendors independent of Microsoft; Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
TopPageIcon_CLV.gif
Top of Page

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Okay-- I just tested this and it worked, so here's one option.
If you put # around the text you want italicized (underlined, etc) as such # I thought I was dreaming. #

Then, when you open the RTF file in word, go to Replace.
Hit the "More..." button.
Check the use wildcards box.
In the find box, type # * #.
Put your cursor in the Replace with box. Don't type anything. Just put the cursor there.
Click Format... find Font. Select Italics from the box. Hit okay. You'll see under the Replace with box that it says "Formatting: Italics"

You're ready to go. Hit replace (or replace all). It keeps the ## signs =( but those can be edited out by running another Replace command. Put # (no spaces on either side) inthe Find box. Put nothing in the replace with box. Replace.

Not pretty, but it may do the trick.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I figured out how to do the _underlines_ and upload all the text to a word.doc. From there I go into 'auto format now' or 'auto format options' but jeez...some options are well hidden on MS Word 2007...

Anyhoo, thanks for your help.

Hopefully knowing how to format text now, I won't be so tempted to use the computer and waste time online. I have more of an excuse to use Apollo (as I call my Neo). :D