Online Book Group - Vote for March Title!!

Which would you like to read in March?

• The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how we did it, but we managed to get 5 titles for the polls.

Where is everybody? I hope you're all just lurking, and not giving up on the group! January's book seemed to do quite well in its discussion, I hope Water for Elephants has as successful a discussion next week.

Ok, my pep talk is over.

Vote!

General Joy

general soothsayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassandrazaruba.net
I voted for the title I suggested, but I also think The Cellist in Sarajevo and the Junot Diaz title seem interesting. To encourage voting, I might make a little suggestion... beneath the poll, someone should maybe post a brief description of each book. It could be taken from Amazon or Wikipedia. I believe this was done for the AW book club's very first poll, way back in the day when The Poisonwood Bible was chosen.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh it seems like we have a tie. :tongue

I'm kind of curious at the lack of interest in this already. You guys busy? Don't like the books that have been picked? Or just don't frequent this forum enough to notice the new threads? lol

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't voted yet, nor have I seen the results so far...

I haven't voted yet because I've run into a problem. I want to read two of them. The one I suggested, and Plainsong. Thanks to whom ever suggested that one. OH GOD SMELLY DOG FARTS. sorry. Back on track. So yea, I am perplexed.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
OK. I voted. teehee.

I know, I wonder if anybody is reading Water for Elephants. We'll find out next week. If the discussion doesn't go well, or at all, maybe we wont go forward with March. Gulp.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a copy of Water for Elephants today at the library.

I have no idea when I'm going to find time to read it though. I'm working ridiculous hours this week. I'll find a way. :tongue

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Brat. Go ahead, read your little book in an hour. Pth. Pttttttttttth. Pth I say.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Brat. Go ahead, read your little book in an hour. Pth. Pttttttttttth. Pth I say.

:roll:

I don't even have to look at it. I just put my arm down on the pages and seep it in through osmosis.

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
All right already! I voted (um, after I post this message). I'm also pasting the blurb for The Cellist of Sarajevo from Amazon/Pub Weekly at the bottom. I like that idea.

As for this month's book - I'm on it! I got my copy yesterday and will be done and rip-roarin' ready for the discussion next week.

Canadian Galloway (Ascension) delivers a tense and haunting novel following four people trying to survive war-torn Sarajevo. After a mortar attack kills 22 people waiting in line to buy bread, an unnamed cellist vows to play at the point of impact for 22 days. Meanwhile, Arrow, a young woman sniper, picks off soldiers; Kenan makes a dangerous trek to get water for his family; and Dragan, who sent his wife and son out of the city at the start of the war, works at a bakery and trades bread in exchange for shelter. Arrow's assigned to protect the cellist, but when she's eventually ordered to commit a different kind of killing, she must decide who she is and why she kills. Dragan believes he can protect himself through isolation, but that changes when he runs into a friend of his wife's attempting to cross a street targeted by snipers. Kenan is repeatedly challenged by his fear and a cantankerous neighbor. All the while, the cellist continues to play. With wonderfully drawn characters and a stripped-down narrative, Galloway brings to life a distant conflict.

General Joy

general soothsayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassandrazaruba.net
March Book Club Selections

OK, I'll go ahead and post descriptions of the other books, since MissKris got it started. :)

Your choices for March's book club discussion...

1) The White Tiger: In this darkly comic début novel set in India, Balram, a chauffeur murders his employer, justifying his crime as the act of a "social entrepreneur." In a series of letters to the Premier of China, in anticipation of the leader’s upcoming visit to Balram’s homeland, the chauffeur recounts his transformation from an honest, hardworking boy growing up in "the Darkness"—those areas of rural India where education and electricity are equally scarce, and where villagers banter about local elections "like eunuchs discussing the Kama Sutra"—to a determined killer. He places the blame for his rage squarely on the avarice of the Indian élite, among whom bribes are commonplace, and who perpetuate a system in which many are sacrificed to the whims of a few. Adiga’s message isn’t subtle or novel, but Balram’s appealingly sardonic voice and acute observations of the social order are both winning and unsettling.

2) The Cellist of Sarajevo: see directly above, MissKris' post

3) Plainsong: In the small town of Holt, Tom Guthrie, a high school teacher, fights to keep his life together and to raise his two boys after their depressed mother first retreats into her bedroom, and then moves away to her sister's house. The boys, not yet adolescents, struggle to make sense of adult behavior and their mother's apparent abandonment. A pregnant teenage girl, kicked out by her mother and rejected by the father of her child, searches for a secure place in the world. And far out in the country, two elderly bachelor brothers work the family farm as they have their entire lives, all but isolated from life beyond their own community. From these separate strands emerges a vision of life--and of the community and landscape that bind them together--that is both luminous and enduring.

4) The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao: Things have never been easy for Oscar, a sweet but disastrously overweight, lovesick Dominican ghetto nerd. From his home in New Jersey, where he lives with his old-world mother and rebellious sister, Oscar dreams of becoming the Dominican J. R. R. Tolkien and, most of all, of finding love. But he may never get what he wants, thanks to the Fukœ-the curse that has haunted the Oscar's family for generations, dooming them to prison, torture, tragic accidents, and, above all, ill-starred love. Oscar, still waiting for his first kiss, is just its most recent victim. Diaz immerses us in the tumultuous life of Oscar and the history of the family at large, rendering with genuine warmth and dazzling energy, humor, and insight the Dominican-American experience, and, ultimately, the endless human capacity to persevere in the face of heartbreak and loss.

5) The Doorman: Cuban novelist Arenas's exquisitely wrought surreal fantasy is a sardonic Swiftian parable on human cruelty and the impulse to flee from freedom. Juan, a Cuban refugee and overzealous doorman at a Manhattan luxury building, wants to help each tenant open the "door to true happiness." But the tenants resist enlightenment. Among them are an oddball pastor who touches or caresses everyone he meets; the inventor of the neon clothespin and the totally prosthetic body; a miserly retired actress who walks a stuffed dog every evening; two nearly identical gay lovers; and a suicidal woman whose fiance Juan pretends to be. All of the tenants have pets--dogs, cats, a rattlesnake, an orangutang, parrots, turtles, a trained bear, etc.--which mirror their personal foibles. As the animals warily befriend Juan and air their views on the dangerous human species, his conversations with the menagerie get him committed to a mental hospital. A fabulist of elegant invention, Arenas, who died last December, delivers a ferocious indictment of the human race.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Joy!

Vixie! Where are you? Get in here and vote!!!

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Even though it didn't win anyway, I would like to withdrawal both my vote and my suggestion from this month's poll.

I would not subject you fine people to such a massive amount of horseshit. And this book won an award? I'm talking about The Brief and Wonderous life of Oscar Wao.

I quit reading about 40 pages in. There was no plot whatsoever. No story. Just a bunch of witty sentences strung together in an edgy fashion mixed with a bunch of some languange I don't know.

What a terrible suggestion I made. Seriously. Flog me next time I open my mouth on a book I haven't read.

General Joy

general soothsayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassandrazaruba.net
No worries, James. I also suggested a book I hadn't yet read for March. It's an opportunity to read and discuss, possibly criticize harshly :) And I actually wanted to read Oscar Wao too, since I heard good things about it.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
The point of this group is to read a book we HAVEN'T read! So sure, there will be some that are duds and some that move us beyond our wildest dreams.....oh we're not reading those kinds of books?

;)

Either way, it's gonna happen. That's the fun of it. I'm excited to get my copy of Plainsong.

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Even though it didn't win anyway, I would like to withdrawal both my vote and my suggestion from this month's poll.

I would not subject you fine people to such a massive amount of horseshit. And this book won an award? I'm talking about The Brief and Wonderous life of Oscar Wao.

I quit reading about 40 pages in. There was no plot whatsoever. No story. Just a bunch of witty sentences strung together in an edgy fashion mixed with a bunch of some languange I don't know.

What a terrible suggestion I made. Seriously. Flog me next time I open my mouth on a book I haven't read.

Lol. It happens. Transfer your vote to Cellist. Do it! Do it now!!! :e2Order:

General Joy

general soothsayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassandrazaruba.net
Should there be a thread asking for suggestions for April's book? Is there still enough interest? I read Plainsong and will be ready to discuss at the end of this month.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Yea, I figured we would do it mid-March...?

So you're finished!?!? I got mine, but I want to finish the one I'm reading now, I'm half way through it.

Did Plainsong grab you? I hope it's good. ;)

General Joy

general soothsayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassandrazaruba.net
Great, I'll go check out that thread. Yes, Plainsong did grab me. I thought it was excellent, and it was an easy read. It won't take you long at all to get through it (unless you hate it, that is... but I don't think you will) :)

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a confession. I haven't read March's book yet. I'm going through a personal crisis. I've got a brand new copy of Plainsong sitting here. Untouched. I feel so bad. But I really don't think it's gonna happen.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I have a confession. I haven't read March's book yet. I'm going through a personal crisis. I've got a brand new copy of Plainsong sitting here. Untouched. I feel so bad. But I really don't think it's gonna happen.

I haven't touched it yet, either. It's been sitting on my washing machine for like 2 weeks (and it's a library book, lol).

I'll read it on my lunch break or something, though. :D

General Joy

general soothsayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassandrazaruba.net
You still have time, Jennifer. You could jump into the discussion at the very end of the month if you've read it by then. But of course, if you're going through a crisis... well, then sometimes other things must take priority. It's understandable.

If you can read a book on your lunch break, James, I want your job.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
When don't I have a crisis? I live a very exciting-non-stop-action life. ;)

I have an apt to pack this wknd, a water pump to replace in my vehicle, and a day at Disneyland now through Tuesday. If I have accomplished all of that and not gone insane, I'll open the book. No guarantees.