Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtySyko

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't come across any threads talking about what we're currently reading, so I thought I would put one together. So if you're reading something right now, or just got done reading something, or if you want to RECOMMEND something to read, post here and share your thoughts.

Right now I'm reading "The Accidental Tourist" by Anne Tyler.

From what I've read so far it's very interesting and it does a good job of keeping the reader entertained as well. The character development is great. You really get an overall understanding of the characters, and the book definitely focus' on the characters while the plot builds around them. For the most part I also have an understanding of certain aspects these characters have, because I share the same traits, which is another thing that keeps me interested in the book. Another thing I like is how the writer actually writes the book. She jumps around a lot, making it seem very frantic, nervous, and compulsive, which is just how the main character acts. She doesn't jump around to the point where you don't understand what's going on though, just enough to show how the character thinks. His mind racing a million miles a second.

Another thing about this book is the messages it's trying to portray, or at least what I think it's trying to portray. It's hard to say what the author is really saying, because when we read or watch movies we gather what WE want from it, even if the creator had a totally different intention... But so far the message I'm seeing is how the author feels about marriage. It's showing that no matter how much love you have for someone, you will inevitably become tired of the other person. It gets really involved with the character's problems, and what they dislike about each other, and how over time it really affects their marriage. So it really makes me think that the author is trying to say "You may love someone with all your heart, but sometimes you just get bored of the same old thing."

I could be completely wrong, but hey, I'm only halfway through the book ;)

sandymae2000

Writing for My Life
Registered
Reaction score
Hi!
I just finished "Never Let Me Go" by Kuzao Ishiguro, the Booker-prize winning author of "Remains of The Day." It's brilliant. Kind of reminiscent of Ira Levin or even Ray Bradbury. He starts out in the middle of the story and you gradually get clues as to the theme of the book. Not a word used that wasn't necessary. I highly recommend it.

Sandy

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One I can't recommend, another I can

I recently read Soul Mountain, by [size=-1]Gao Xingjian. It's a tome, and it won its author won the Nobel Prize for literature.

I would love to say I found it an insightful, thought-provoking look into the author's world and into the Chinese zeitgeist....

But I can't.

I found it to be hundreds of pages of wandering atmosphere. I wouldn't call it self-indulgent, but I didn't feel enriched by having read it.

On the brighter side, I loved Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco (author of The Name of the Rose). It's a slog in places, but well worth it.

Great idea for a thread!
[/size]

E.G. Gammon

Registered
Reaction score
Harry Potter. I don't think I need to tell you what it's about. I got sucked into Harry Potter mania right when the first movie came out. Now, I'm trying to read the first 5 books in time for the release of Book 6 in July. It could also be counted as research, since I am writing a novel series, too and I can learn a lot about one if I'm reading one - especially a successful one (is "successful" strong enough a word?).

mmm... pancakes

light and fluffy
Registered
Reaction score
On my bedside table:

Everything I know about writing - John Marsden (not as good as I expected)
The Pocket Muse - Monica Wood (bloody fantastic!)
Return to China - James Bertram (an oldie and hard to get into)
and
Lonely Planet China - I'm trying to decide where to go for a holiday...

I don't know how likely it is for any non-New Zealander, but if you can find a Joe Bennett book (published by Hazard Press) they are well worth it. My fav author. Similar in many ways to Bill Bryson's columns, only not travel-related and shorter.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Insightful, Will.

Same here.

But, currently on my night stand: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Haven't finished it yet, but a powerful read.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i try not to read while i'm heavily into a writing project, so i'm on sort of a reading haitus. however, i still engage in lame, sophomoric humor.

i apologize for being flippant.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Fiction wise, just finished reading A Picture of Dorian Gray. On to: The Good Women of China.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
i try not to read while i'm heavily into a writing project, so i'm on sort of a reading haitus.

I'm with you on this one, William.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Interesting, Will. I tend to do that, too. But when I have downtime (meaning blockage) I do like to pick up a good book -- usually I find good writing inspires me to write, and write better. But yes, when I'm heavy in BIC mode, I don't like to read.

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
Man, the people here are reading some serious books. Me, on the other hand, am reading Brimstone by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Good book, great plot twists. Is the devil is killing all these people? Why? Preston-Child are excellent writers. They can weave a story better than grandma can weave a throw rug and this is turning out to be one of their best.

Just finished Sandstorm by James Rollins. Great book, one of the best I have read. Action, plot twists, great characters.

Am going to read The Taking by Dean Koontz next. It seems that Koontz is getting better with each book and that surprises me. He is quickly becoming one of my fav authors.

Poet, I have Foucault's Pendulum but haven't read it yet. It seems interesting though.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading:

Third Girl -- Agatha Christie
A Series of Unfortunate Events #1 -- Lemony Snicket

And some A+ Certification books but those aren't fun.:cry:

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
William Haskins said:
i apologize for being flippant.

Speaking for myself, no need to apologize - we know that about you and it always makes me smile.

On my bedside:

Prayer for Owen Meaney
Old copies of The Jerusalem Report
Anne Sexton Love Poems
Hugh Prather Notes on Love and Courage
Anne Morrow Lindbergh Gifts from the Sea
Jane Austen Persuasion
Five different books on Judaism
A cup of water
A coaster for my water
A lamp

Last edited:

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
mommie4a said:
On my bedside:Anne Morrow Lindbergh Gifts from the Sea
Jane Austen Persuasion
A lamp

How bizarre! These three items are on my nightstand too. Along with Love Poems of Lord Byron, Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter), Anthology of Irish Poetry, Roget's French Dictionary, The Complete Works of Chaucer, 2 Journals, a Sketchbook, 5 pairs of earrings, 2 hair ties, a bottle of Pellegrino and my hateful alarm clock.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Saritams8 said:
How bizarre! These three items are on my nightstand too. Along with Love Poems of Lord Byron, Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter), Anthology of Irish Poetry, Roget's French Dictionary, The Complete Works of Chaucer, 2 Journals, a Sketchbook, 5 pairs of earrings, 2 hair ties, a bottle of Pellegrino and my hateful alarm clock.

Separated at birth - a long, multigenerational birth?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
mommie4a said:
Speaking for myself, no need to apologize - we know that about you and it always makes me smile.

On my bedside:

A cup of water
A coaster for my water
A lamp

Inside my nighttable drawer: Penthouse VI, underneath a bunch of highlighters and pads of paper

How bizarre. These are the same items I have!

I also have a few other books, but I won't tell you their titles...

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
mommie4a said:

On my bedside:

Prayer for Owen Meaney

How are you liking this book? It seemed like it took me forever to read it, but once I got into the second half, the pacing seemed to really pick up. I loved it.
Currently, I'm reading:

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
The Gunslinger
A Collection of Edwardian Ghost Stories

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You are all way too intellectual for me.
On my bedside table (covered in dust):
Slaves in the Family by Edward Ball
Reading Lolita in Tehran
Confessions of a Teenage Sleuth
Where's Waldo, Hollywood Edition
hair ties
lamp
water glass
dog rabies tag
kids' underwear
someone's toothbrush (no one will claim it)
ticket stub from Anglieque Kidjo concert
piece of paper for those moments when I have an amazingly inspired idea come to me in a dream (hasn't happened yet, but I do have a mysterious phone number written on it in someone else's handwriting)

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading:

Portrait of a Killer - Jack the Ripper Case Closed by Patricia Cornwell
Hitler 1936-1945 - Nemesis by Ian Kershaw
Complete Idiot's Guide to Technical Writing

Karen

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
You people have some cluttered bedside tables.

I'm currently wading through The Amber Spyglass, after putting off reading it for some time. Next up is John Ling's Fourteen Bullets.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
Currently reading:

Paradise Alley by Kevin Baker for the second time (I highly recommend it)
The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris
Rudyard Kipling: Complete Verse (I read little from this each night)

Brady H.

Status
Not open for further replies.