Do you rate threads on AW?

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I was looking through the FAQ and read this about rating threads:

You may find a small menu on thread pages which allows you to 'rate this thread' with a number between 1-5.

Casting a vote for threads you view is entirely optional, but if you think that the thread is superb, you might rate it as a 5-star thread, or if you think that it's unspeakably dismal, you might choose to rate the thread with a single star.

Once enough votes have been cast for the thread rating, you may see a set of stars appear with the title of the thread in the thread listings. These stars reflect the average vote cast, and can allow you to quickly see which threads are worth reading if you are on a very busy forum with a lot of threads.

Looking through Office Party, I can see several threads on the first page are rated. Holding the mouse cursor over the star rating shows that it is based typically on less than five votes.

Do you use the rating system to rate threads? Do you often use a thread's rating to decide whether to read it?

Have you already rated this thread "unspeakably dismal"? :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use it, don't even look at the rating. Here, some thread about "Have you ever stuck fruit in a body orifice?" would get a higher rating than a discussion thread about Shakespeare.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've only rated one before. Don't pay a lot of attention to whether a thread has been rated or not.

Oh, and I just gave your thread an "Excellent" rating. Reason: One to maybe make you smile and, two because some may not be aware of this rating system. Now they know. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use it, don't even look at the rating. Here, some thread about "Have you ever stuck fruit in a body orifice?" would get a higher rating than a discussion thread about Shakespeare.

Hmm our next thread perhaps.

To answer do I rate threads? No.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
No I don't rate threads.
No I don't pay any attention to ratings.
I usually click based on thread title and the first bit that I can see when I hover my mouse. If this is interesting or makes me curious, I click.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I think the typical thread rating being based on five or less votes shows most of us pay little or no attention to the ratings.

I am no exception to the rule and have rated one thread, I think, since I've been a member.

I am still waiting for the fruit thread alley mentioned earlier. Anyone seen it?

:D

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
this is the first one i ever rated. sorry, but i had to give it a 1 for terrible. that's just the kind of asshat i am.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
I do when I remember. Sadly, I don't remember often.

I was surprised when I first came to AW and found that there were so many "activities" other than posting.
Rating, reps... all so much fun.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
this is the first one i ever rated. sorry, but i had to give it a 1 for terrible. that's just the kind of asshat i am.

there are other kinds of asshats??

I make it a point to rate any thread started by BillyThrilly. I rate them all one star.

Really, this should be in the Newbie Guide, as well.

oh, hey there, rob.
...didn't see you there.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here, some thread about "Have you ever stuck fruit in a body orifice?" would get a higher rating than a discussion thread about Shakespeare.

Where is that one???

:) Just kidding.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
I don't rate them and I don't pay much attention to the ratings either. I pay more attention to the thread titles. And here in Office Party, some of the long running threads are so well known to me, I go in there depending on my mood. :Shrug:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Remind me not to try your fruit salad!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I don't rate threads, nor pay any mind to how they're ranked. It's too subjective. Some of the best threads I've ever seen haven't been rated at all, while some of the worse are adorned with multiple stars.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I rated your thread a 5 cuz I like it! I rate them on rare occasions. I just click on the link if it sounds interesting, like this one.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sure do if I like the thread.