What do you wear when... (Moved from Novels to Office Party)

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
you are writing?

I have noticed several people mentioning writing while naked, some in jest, others as a way of expressing their preferred method of dress when writing. It got me to thinking that maybe some people do have special clothes that put them in the mood to write. Do you have a specific dress code?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Naked writing? If my house wasn't full of drafts, then maybe. Or if I was a tad more on the buff side.

In any case, it's jeans, t-shirt and a fleece for me. Pretty much what I wear whatever I'm doing.

Reaction score
Do you mean full of draughts?

Or maybe you do mean literal drafts, in which case why aren't you subbing them? ;)

Most of the time I write while in my pyjamas.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm supposed to have a dress code?

I just wear whatever I put on in the morning, honestly. If it's a work day, then it's business casual. If it's a weekend/holiday, it's jeans and shirt. I'm not one of those people who can lounge around all day in my nightclothes--though I wish sometimes I was.

Reaction score
I only ever get dressed when I'm getting ready to go out so some days I'm still in my pyjamas throughout the afternoon.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Business casual during the week ('cos I've still got my work gear on.)

Jim-jams on the weekends - ususally my nascar #8's or my spongebobs.

Once I wrote a rather good piece of erotica, while wearing sexy lingerie and waiting for my hubby to get home from work - but I don't make a habit of it.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Anything comfortable will do, though I've found that -- even if it is a lazy, rainy Saturday -- I work better if I'm wearing clothes, not pajamas. Pajamas just say "goof off." I have some T-shirts, sweatshirts, yoga pants, etc. that fit the bill nicely.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
In _The Unstrung Harp_ by Edward Gorey, the Novelist wears "an athletic sweater of forgotten origin, always worn hindside-to". :D Personally I don't care as long as I'm comfortable, that can be anywhere from naked or only wearing a sarong to a fuzzy sweater, polar fleece lounge pants, and slippers.

Not clothing related, but I do strongly prefer to write in a dark quiet room so I don't get distracted, and I carefully adjusted the height of my desk, type of keyboard, placement of my monitor, and added a curtain to eliminate glare/draft from a window. Might need to get a new computer chair since this one seems to be making my back ache because the padding in it is dead.

Empress_Isis

Jenna Cosgrove
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.popeighties.com
The first thing I do when I get home is take off my shoes and change into my PJs, so most of the time its that. Or, if I'm sneakily writing at work, it'll be a business skirt and whatever random top I'm wearing that day. I never wear trousers when I'm out of the house, only ever skirts.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's whatever I usually wear...jeans and sweaters or a tee.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I write in whatever I happen to be wearing at the time. I'm not a diva. I don't have to put on my writing gear.

LynneKBM

Registered
Reaction score
I'm usually in workout clothes or jeans and t-shirt. Interestingly....the same thing my MC is usually wearing.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I need to be properly inspired when I write. So I always make sure that I have just the right pen, and the time is always the same, and i have just the right tea (Tetley's Black Currant) and I always make sure I wear the same thing. Below is a pic of the thing i always wear along with my muse who whispers in my ear while i write.

KR6063.jpg

in reality, *sigh* i'm in pj's and i have diet coke and i write whenever i can squeeze out some words. not that i'd wear that dress, but the muse would be alright.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
really slobby, comfortable clothes that I wouldn't be seen dead in public in.