PDA

View Full Version : Dream Interpretation

AMCrenshaw
02-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi. I hope I'm not offending anyone by asking for a dream interpretation in the Pagan forum. I couldn't think of a more appropriate place.

The repetitive dreams I've been having for quite a while are weird. Essentially, in the dream I kill people I love. And I end up waking up breathless and awfully frightened. What's weird is that I'm not a violent person, but violence doesn't generally frighten me... Any thoughts?

AMC

sunandshadow
02-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Not a pagan, lol, just happened to see the thread title. But here's a general interpretation for dreaming of killing people you don't actually want to kill:

You suspect that something you are doing is hurting them and/or something they are doing is hurting you, or short of actual harm, you think you need to become more free from them/their authority/the demands of being in whatever type of relationship with them. Killing a person in your mind symbolizes creating a separation, a wall, between yourself and them. This can be either a negative thing in the sense that you are warning yourself that a habitual action of yours harms others, or a positive things with connotations of leaving the nest and going out on one's own, or gaining your freedom from negative influences and unhealthy constraints.

Secondary interpretation: this might apply specifically to your writing, you might feel guilty about putting your characters through hell or about neglecting your inspirations or about showing things in your writing that create an unethical vision of the world that you are uncomfortable with; or conversely you might feel that you have been babying your characters too much of not editing harshly enough and need to start being more violent with them.

Carole
02-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Dream interpretation is very subjective. The best advice I ever got, and that I try to give, is to keep a journal beside your bed. Write down everything you can remember as soon as you wake up and fill in blanks later if you remember them. If you only have a dream once, it's probably nothing. I've dreamed about seeing my children brutally murdered and of course woke up in a complete panic, but nothing ever came up that I could apply it to. I tend to think that for the most part, our brains produce dreams when we are sleeping as a way to unload all the junk we take in throughout the day. Sometimes a wonderful dream will follow a fantastic day. I've heard some theorize that everything and every person in your dream is a facet of you and that your mind is playing things out while you sleep. Who knows. One of the most logical explanations I have ever heard is that the mind is so accustomed to stimulation in waking hours that it invents its own when you are asleep, using tidbits from TV, friends, family or experiences as the material. You'll find an unending array of books about dream interpretation out there, but rarely do any of them come close be being even a little bit similar. I imagine that there are people who are great at interpreting dreams, but I tend to think that most of them are just brain-play. A recurring dream, however, might be your higher-self trying to get you to pay attention to something.