What fields are on your agent tracking speadsheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GirlWithPoisonPen

Mata Hari
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting to research agents that might be interested in my novel.

I wanted to set up a spreadsheet to keep track of their details, requirements, when I sent the query, etc.

I'm sure that some of you have done this.

Right now, I have the following fields?:

Agent Name
Firm
Address
Email
Website
Type of query accepted
Query requirements
Query sent date
Requested materials

(I'm being optimistic with the last field)

Am I missing any?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use a spreadsheet, but my 'fields' include enclosures wanted with the query (some want a bio or x number of pages), the date agent says they'll reply by (based on how many weeks or months they say their turn-around is), the real date by which I expect a reply (twice the wait they anticipate--such wishful thinkers, those agents!), the date on which I received a reply, the date by which my requested materials mailing should receive a response, whether they seek an exclusive read on requested materials, and a 'remarks' field where I note anything unusual about either my submission or their response.

It's a lot of stuff, but you never know ahead of time which aspect will assume enormous importance.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot another thing I list, my reasons for querying this particular agent, which I use to personalize query letters. I note recent sales to publishers in my genre, repping authors something like me, them seeking my genre, or seeking to expand their client list in general.

Maryn, occasionally helpful

Last edited:

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
I tracked
Who/ Agency/When Sent/How Sent/Email address/What did I send them?/Response/Whom to query next at that agency.

The first person I queried was Nathan Brown. His entry looked like this

Nathan Bransford/Curtis Brown/9.29.2008/e-mail/[email protected]/query only/9.30.2008/request for first 30 pages/Laura Blake Peterson ([email protected])

So he requested my partial. When he later rejected me, I colored that square red, put the date, and then send a request to Laura Blake, the next person at that agency I was interested in.

What I found was that often I did research on an agency instead of an agent, and it was useful to prioritize a list of people I should query there.

You might also have a column for whether they accept queries. I am a bastard. If I liked the agent, I queried them even if they were closed to queries. I figured I had little to lose.

PM me your e-mail and I'll send you my template.

Prawn

Last edited:

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I also had a field where I put little tidbits that either explained why I thought they'd be a good agent for me and/or that I could use to personalize my queries. Eg. I noted if someone had a PhD in history, if they'd been to school somewhere I'd studied or taught, what authors they represented, what other genres they represented ("HF, women's, family sagas, non-fiction history" seemed more likely for me than "HF, suspence, SciFi") and any other details, like the fact that the person who became my agent had a recent agenting career in the UK.

I didn't put down notes like this for every agent. But I did find that I had more luck with agents when I could see a reason why they in particular might like my book.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
My agent spreadsheets are really simple (as opposed to my spreadsheets for editors of magazines):

I copy and paste the info on each agent from agentquery.com onto Word, then print the whole thing out. I like working with a hardcopy. Then I make notes in the margin--date sent, query + 5 pp. or whatever, date declined or the date of request for partial or full.

darkchild

fields? am i the only one who allows QUERY TRACKER to do the work for me?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, my agent tracking worksheet is lost on a broken flashdrive, but I believe it had

Agency
Agent
What they rep (of interest to my novels)
When I queried (columns for each novel)
What type of query (e-mail, snail, website form)
Individual Novels:
-reject date
-partial sent date
-full sent date
-other
-acceptance(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.