Big changes

Brockolious

Registered
Reaction score
Quick story of hope for those who were laid-off from their jobs.

I am a hyperactive, energetic 25 years old, have found my soul-mate, and have a big ol' fake hip. We moved to Las Vegas to work at the resorts. By all socioeconomic factors, we both have been pretty darn lucky. That was about 18 months ago.

Now, after surviving five rounds of layoffs, the hotel made the big cut of 30% of its staff. My wife and I didn't survive that round.

We both looked for months (before the layoff too). We both were told we were over-qualified for the jobs we needed to do (Bachelor's Degree), and were under-qualified for the jobs we wanted to do (didn't have 6+ years experience in Vegas). After sitting down and painfully weighing the risks, we decided to move back to the Midwest, where we lived for a few years.

Now, where does Absolutewrite fit into this? This board was the very reason I started writing fiction. Sure, it's raw and terrible. Sure, it needs about 25 rewrites, but I never thought to harness that emotional energy into characters before. It was here I learned about the "mock interview" character development techniques. It was here I read about getting into the fire during heated character dialogues and clashes. It was here I learned to just effing write it. This board, and my crappy fiction, kept me going, as well as my wonderful wife, family, and friends.

Now, we have a home to go to in Ohio. We have a golden opportunity to care for a property of a relative, and the donating family member reminded us of how much we've done for them.

I am a control-freak, and I think a lot of you here are the same way. Not the negative control-freak stigma. It's the Let's-get-Steve-to-drive-because-he's-the-responsible-one syndrome. For the first time in many months, I feel completely at peace with this relocation and myself. We're anxious to get back to the country. We're happier than ever to leave the 24/7, on-call demands that kept us away from our social and familial circles. Facebook just doesn't reach out and give you five years worth of hugs that could crush your sternum. Yes, there's an Uncle Al or Gus in your family. And yes, even at age 65, he can still bench-press three Escalades.

It's a powerful reminder how important family is. We initially picked up the phone, and quickly hung it up. We didn't want to be a bother. We didn't want to feel like we "failed" trying to make it out here. But the reality was, we were laid-off. Not terminated. It reminds me how fragile my ego really is, trying to stress that distinction. I still have a little ways to go.

The economy is a doom-and-gloom discussion everywhere we look. But from a firsthand account, I'm much more excited than "shamed" to be living close to family again. I don't worry about anyone on this board, but I worry for others I know who are just too damn indignant to flip the burgers because their character is based on corroding diodes and silicon.

You all know how important family is, but go give 'em a hug and tell them it's going to be ok. Because it is. You are lucky to have them, and they are lucky to have you. But make sure the Leatherman and butane lighters are in your pocket. Just in case. I'm kidding. Or am I?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Family's pretty amazing, when it functions as family should. Luckily mine does--and so does yours. These are the people who'll take you in and be glad you're there--even if you screwed up and/or left with a deliberately hurtful parting shot. They love you no matter what, and that makes all the difference in the world. It's good to be around people like that.

Enjoy--and give Uncle Al a hug from me.

Maryn, glad you've landed someplace good

Last edited:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
My family is a bunch of disfuntional drunken brutes and screaming lunatics. i.e. they're Irish.
Anyhow, when I fell and hurt myself last year they came to the rescue. I hate accepting anything from anyone no matter what spirit it's offered in. I've been on my own since I was 14 years old. They saved me from having to revert to my past transgressions as a way of supporting my family, which I swore I would never do to my dead brother. There's a lot to be said for friends as well.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
There's a lot to be said for our own strong spirits and the optimistic drives that allow us to appreciate the freinds, family and strangers online who care about us.

Steve, so glad you landed somewhere exciting interesting and happy. Thanks for your story - it's inspiring and is one more reason why I love being here.

Maryn, I'm glad you set them straight - unconditional love is all around. You're getting some right now.

Wayne, you rock. Always have, always will. You're strong, responsible, funny and if I were 30 years younger & single, you'd be buttered toast with honey.