Online submission forms

Lilith70

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.normalityfactor.com
I'm not sure why, but these make me nervous. On one hand, I suppose it should feel like "Oh, hey, they're making it a little easier for me!", but for whatever reason, it's also turning me off.

The three agencies I was looking at - Waxman, Levine Greenberg, and Veltre - all had decent reputations last I checked (with Preditors and Editors). What's the general attitude about this?

Personally, I'd rather send a query via email to save trees, but I respect that some agents want to see something "hardcopy" (maybe because the perception is that something solid has gotten more thought and consideration than something virtual). Even at that... I don't know.

Am I the only one to feel this way? Is it kind of snobby of me to have this turn-off reaction?

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you turned off by email queries in general or just submission forms?

Personally, I like email queries. Being in Canada, it makes querying US based agents a little easier and the response time seems to be faster.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I despise online submission forms for two reasons: 1) I'm never sure how my query formatting is going to come out on their end; and 2) they often ask for credentials, of which I have NONE. :D

Lilith70

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.normalityfactor.com
I don't mind email queries - I prefer those since it's less expensive and doesn't use trees - but online submission forms where the agents have pre-set forms... they just make me nervous. Maybe it's from not really knowing where the form is being sent?

Or maybe I just take it as appearing less professional. To me, the relationship between an author and an agent should be "at will", with the formatting and phrasing of the queries and such being a "first foot forward" that's taken away with a pre-set form. I know when I worked as a recruiter, my workload tripled screening people through an online form because people that we would have otherwise recognized as being not a good fit were able to slip through.

(Can you tell I've been thinking about it all day? I'm facing the "find an agent" music in a week or so and doing my homework.)

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I do understand where you're coming from. I queried one agency that used a submission form. I just crossed my fingers and prayed.

When the agent responded, though, the query (which was included at the bottom of her response) looked alright.

Danthia

Didn't bother me one way or the other. The agency is just trying to streamline their querying process to make it easier for them to read them. Anything that makes that easier is a win in my book. If they can read more, then more authors have a chance to get their work seen. And someone who might have inadvertently done something that made their e-mail come out illegible would go through fine.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
i don't like the online submissions. i prefer to be a bit more difficult to dispose of. if i take the time to write the thing they can damn well walk it to the dumpster---s6

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
i don't like the online submissions. i prefer to be a bit more difficult to dispose of. if i take the time to write the thing they can damn well walk it to the dumpster---s6
You sound like you're hard to dispose of, that's a trait I need to develop more.

Weebil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.weebil.com
Some luck with the online query..

Hello-while doing some late-night web searching I came across Levine-Greenberg's online submission page-I also was a bit nervous, as I have nothing for the credential part. But, glass of tequila in hand, I did the deed and got a request for a manuscript review (still waiting to hear).
The nice thing is there is an area to cut and paste a sample from your work. Saves everyone some time I suppose.