Status
Not open for further replies.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
Is there a title you have, whether for an entire book or just a chapter or whatever, that seems JUST PERFECT but you've had no use for yet?

For me, the title is "Doubting Thomas." Thomas is a character in my fantasy serial, and many of my chapter titles make use of puns or quotes in such a way that this would be a perfect title. Unfortunately, I've never had a reason to use it yet--the plot hasn't called for it. (There was one time the plot came close, but I guess I forgot this title at the time so didn't use it.) Argghh!! I'll find a chapter suitable enough someday!

Anyone else have anything...? I do hope I'm not the only one or this post will seem quite foolish. :eek:

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Queen, i dont think they'll think it's a verb because it's followed by the world of. It's a cool title.

For me, it's The Vacant Midnight. It's from a poem by, I want to say Walt Whitman, about a civil war soldier who's returned home. In my case there is a plot attached, which i came up with about 20 yrs ago and it's totally mary sue. But the characters are cool, so I may still write it some day.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Keeper of Magic
Sins of Omission
KEEP THE DEVIL AWAY
Can’t Buy A Thrill
Lepers And Crooks

C

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
I have a title for one of my paranormal western short stories that I'm saving until I get ready to return to that genre, and can figure out a workable plot. 'Bean Counters' will concern Judge Roy Bean being haunted by all the men he hanged or shot.

And I need to do something for the same series about the medical bag and pair of shoes made from the tanned skin of Big Nose George Parrot, an outlaw who was lynched in Wyoming in the 1881. The shoes were worn by a governor of the state at his inauguration in 1893, and are still on display in the Carbon County Museum in Rawlings, Wyoming. Something spooky ought to have happened with those shoes, at least in the world of my ghost detective for that period, Hack Norris. Someday I'll tell what it was.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I have heard the phrase "doubting Thomas" in conversation. As in, "aren't you just a doubting Thomas."

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
I have heard the phrase "doubting Thomas" in conversation. As in, "aren't you just a doubting Thomas."

It's biblical. Thomas was the disciple who doubted Jesus' resurrection in The Gospel According to John 20:26-29.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Is there a title you have, whether for an entire book or just a chapter or whatever, that seems JUST PERFECT but you've had no use for yet?
. :eek:
Yes.

"How I published my first book" by: Wayne K

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
"The Night is Blackest"

im tossing around using this as the chapter of the climax.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I think "Dirty Wife Beater" would be a great hardboiled mystery story.

For those who don't know, this is a slang phrase for a white([or once-whit) undershirt, either tank or tee shirt. It's funny hearing my female students talk about wearing one!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And Silence Reigns

Really would like to find the story that goes with that title.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
A Winter's Snake.

from the Jacobean play The White Devil, by John Webster. The Jacobean plays are stacked with possible titles. The surrounding lines are:
"The way ascends not straight, but imitates The subtle foldings of a winter's snake..." (Snakes are supposed to knot themselves up to sleep for the winter)
-Barbara

Reaction score
I have a list of phrases on my computer, each of which I think would make a good title. thethinker42 needed a title for one of her projects once, so I showed her the list and she nicked one of my ideas! (With my permission). :D

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
Good to know I'm in good company regarding the title that just won't fit yet! :D

I think "Dirty Wife Beater" would be a great hardboiled mystery story.

For those who don't know, this is a slang phrase for a white([or once-whit) undershirt, either tank or tee shirt. It's funny hearing my female students talk about wearing one!

I've heard of these shirts myself and the name always throws me. This really does sound like a great title for a story. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.