The great theme of 21st fiction literature is going to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
death, according to a review I just read in The New York Times. Do you think that's true?

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
death, according to a review I just read in The New York Times. Do you think that's true?

Well, death is one thing that all people have in common. The other is taxes, but to be honest I could never get past the first chapter of those books. Go figure.

This is only for the 21st century though? Death has always been pronounced in writing since the beginning of storytelling. I don't expect it to change.

So yes, I agree.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Looking at the current economic situations, I can see some interest in light comedy/humor, semi-moralistic survival stories, human heroes and ultra good guys who help out in a pinch - aka the types of stories that help people get through hard times. But of course, hopefully these hard times won't continue through the entire century. Puma

Last edited:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Possibly.. I find it interesting.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
The world goes with the boomers, these days. And as they face their own age and mortality... Yeah, it seems like a good possibility to me.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I wonder if more specifically suicide might be a popular topic. I have heard the rate is going up with the economic crisis. Also I suspect there will be more tales of what people do when their backs are against the wall--"desperate times call for desperate measures" sort of thing.

Fullback

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe the theme was the death of writers using italics for newspaper names in the 21st century?

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning a book that deals entirely with death. I told some friends of mine my perception of death and my theories about ghosts and they were so fascinated by my wacky ideas that they pressured me into writing a book about it. If that's what's been predicted as a major theme for the 21st century, then I'll be glad to make a contribution. :D

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
Boomers facing their mortality will definitely be a theme. I suspect the global economic meltdown of armageddony proportions will have a lot to do with things - it's early days still, I keep hearing the word "depression" on the lips of politicians and press alike.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
Yeah, I agree that economic crisis and capitalism will be a bit of theme. And it won't be a pretty view of it either.

Looks like my niche has hit the jackpot :tongue

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
Yeah, I agree that economic crisis and capitalism will be a bit of theme. And it won't be a pretty view of it either.

Looks like my niche has hit the jackpot :tongue

Oh man! How do you keep from becoming crippled with depression! I'm not even watching the news anymore because apparently, we're all doomed.

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
I hope that the 21st century has more than one theme. And if it has to have one, I hope it's up-beat.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
What was the great theme of 20th century literature then?

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
I hope that the 21st century has more than one theme. And if it has to have one, I hope it's up-beat.

Me too. I write up-beat and humour, which I honestly beiieve we all need right now.

Reading about death and depression is not something I enjoy at any time, so if that's what's going to be on offer, I won't be buying books.

And if people don't buy books, writers are doomed. Now there's a depressing thought.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I don't pay particular attention to articles claiming to know the "next big thing".

Why not "hope" or "redemption" or "faith" or "rebirth" or any one of another number of themes people relate to? When times become dark people naturally seek light.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...though excellent at relaying facts, The NY Times is notoriously lousy when it comes to predictions and accessments:

"Professor Goddard does not know the relation between action and reaction and the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react. He seems to lack the basic knowledge ladled out daily in high schools."
- New York Times editorial, 1921 (re: Robert Goddard's revolutionary rocket experimentation that led to space flight.)

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
The great theme of a lot of literature, from prehistory to now, is death. It's a big theme! Every century's going to be able to use it.

What I think that article in the Times was specifically referring to, though, was the fact that the baby boomers are getting old, which means you're going to have a much larger percentage of the population in a position to perhaps relate more strongly to serious work with death as a theme.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
What I think that article in the Times was specifically referring to, though, was the fact that the baby boomers are getting old, which means you're going to have a much larger percentage of the population in a position to perhaps relate more strongly to serious work with death as a theme.

But the last thing ageing people want to do is read about or dwell on death.

Status
Not open for further replies.