Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Saw this in Publishers Lunch today:
[size=-1]You Write their Book
[/size]
[size=-1]Random House is encouraging nonfiction submissions for the book TWENTYSOMETHING ESSAYS BY TWENTYSOMETHING WRITERS: The Best New Voices of 2006. The web page says they "looking for the most original voices of the twentysomething generation, writing about their lives, their passions, their world." One of the posted contest rules is, "Don't trust anyone over 30."[/size]

[size=-1]The grand prize winner gets $20,000; up to 28 others will have their essays included in the anthology, but with no compensation.
RH page[/size]

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I'd like to see How Wrong We Were: Blurry, Bifocaled Recollections of 50-Something Writers Who Once Believed That 'Never Trust a Person Over 30' Thing

I don't get RH's thinking on the disbursement of prize money at all. Why not 10Gs to the winner and $500 + publication to the also-rans? I betcha they'd get more quality entries that way. Their way is almost a lottery-type situation.

I wouldn't enter it even if I was still 20-something (and still wrong).

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I doubt there are a lot of 20 somethings who have made $20,000 with one essay. It would be a good exercise for any writer, and if you can get paid and get noticed by editors at Random House, that ain't so bad. If I were in my 20's, I might do it. I'd like someone to ask me to write an essay on How Tired I Am: Essays by Working Mothers on the Verge of Implosion.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Nomad said:
I'd like someone to ask me to write an essay on How Tired I Am: Essays by Working Mothers on the Verge of Implosion.

Lauri - Would you please, pretty please write an essay on How Tired I Am: Essays by Working Mothers on the Verge of Implosion?

I would HAPPILY join you in any such endeavor for an anthology or collection (except for the fact that between the two of us, we'd have enough essays - maybe even just one of us, heck, from the moms on this forum alone we could do it).

sacha_kimber

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sachakimber.com
Sounds like a great offer, but I am only 20 something for one more day. And I certainly don't buy into the whole idea of not trusting anyone over 30. I guess that turning 30 would have something to do with that.

Thank you for posting the offer.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
How about: a non-20-something pretending to be 20-something and write about what might have been as a 20-something?

I think I might be able to pull that off...

britwrit

Registered
Reaction score
It would be great to win but...

Man, are those some stingy terms. Especially including the part that states:

"By signing the contract, Grand Prize Winner and each Runner Up will convey to Random House all of the rights covered in the contract... all without monetary compensation other than the cash award to the Grand Prize Winner."

So basicly, you get no royalties, no movie money, no Swedish language rights money and all in exchange for some exposure? But then again, if they make a film out of your essay without paying you, can you write about that?

DJP

pounding away at the piano..
Registered
Reaction score
Stingy or not, I considered doing it until I saw you had to be a US resident. Drat! I'm the right age, exposure would be good, money would be better. Oh well, guess I'll have to wait for the Canadian version.

Status
Not open for further replies.