PDA

View Full Version : How many hours at the computer?

Darzian
02-14-2009, 07:16 PM
How many hours do you spend in front of a computer screen every day?

regdog
02-14-2009, 07:21 PM
On a serious writing day 8. Goofing around 4 or less.

How much I actually accomplish on a serious writing day has nothing to do
with how much time I work at it

Wayne K
02-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Recently it's been many. I'm not alarmed by it because I'm kind of closed off from the world and I hate television. I do try to do constructive things like SYW and reference. I also like to read poetry, some of you guys are really good! I also read your profiles and Blogs when I can get to them. I also like youtube because I get to see live performances of artists I've never seen, or never will. I do hate the e-mail sex ads and all. I also don't understand why people would send viruses to destroy people's computers, but I'll trade that lot for the fun and education I get from you guys here at AW.

petec
02-14-2009, 07:25 PM
About 5 hours a day most days

Kathleen42
02-14-2009, 07:31 PM
8 hours for work on days when I don't have meetings (most days it probably averages 6) and then a few hours at home writing.

Darzian
02-14-2009, 08:01 PM
I spend around 10 but that's because I have nothing else to do at the moment. Leaving the house is also very restricted and no library nearby.

TheRightEyedDeer
02-14-2009, 08:48 PM
6:15 am - 8:20 am
* deal with personal & writing-related emails, log on to The Write Idea to make sure WWIII hasn't broken out or somethin', read the Toronto Star headlines & horoscopes, check the Weather Network, log in to AW to see how many rep points I've got, hang out on Facebook (feed Dragon, arm vassals in Knighthood, play Word Twist/Scramble/Wordscraper/Lexulous)

8:40 am - 5 pm
* check work emails, IM my co-workers repeatedly, read the Globe & Mail, CBC News, New York Times
* repeat all items listed under "6:15 am - 8:20 am"
* check work emails, IM my co-workers repeatedly, read the Globe & Mail, CBC News, New York Times

5:15 pm - 10 pm
* more of all of the above

So, looks like I spend my entire life on the computer 'cept when I'm sleepin'. :)

WittyWordsmith
02-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Wow, I should add it up, but I'm sure I'll be shocked.

leenakincaid
02-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Four, easily. It used to be eight.

Matera the Mad
02-17-2009, 10:13 AM
On a good day, 12-14 :D

I have a little proggie that tracks my mouse and keyboard usage. I can view a graph for every day. I can tell when I've been writing a lot. And when I left to go to my real job. Or when I took a looooong nap.

I spend a lot of time doing things you'd rather not. :tongue

brainstorm77
02-17-2009, 11:17 AM
varies for me.. I work shift work..

DaddyCat
02-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Twelve to fourteen hours a day would be typical for me, although I take "breaks" for chores, meals, cat wrangling, etc.

Carole
02-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Hours and hours and hours. I don't know--maybe around 15 or more? I write here, I play here and I also take two of my classes online, so I read a lot here.

Alpha Echo
02-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Writing or otherwise?

At work, I spend 8 hours in front of a computer. Sometimes, some of that is writing. Lately, I haven't been writing much at all...

But I'm making a goal - an hour a day toward my writing. I'll start with that.

scarletpeaches
02-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Far too many.

I daren't add it up. I wouldn't mind if I actually got some work done, but I spend a lot of time goofing off, which is why I'm going to shut down now and pick up my Neo.

GeorgieB
02-17-2009, 06:22 PM
A bunch. When we're traveling in our RV, none. (Got to keep my hands on the wheel). But, when we're parked then the total goes up significantly. 8 on a slow day, 10 or more when the story flows. There's also some time spent just listening to morse code or tracking/watching PSK31 transmissions (I'm an amateur radio operator).

At home the numbers range from 5 to 8, depending on the "honey-do" list and the current state of my many projects.

My wife (runs a blog, a website, an e-zine, moderates a forum, markets her books, teaches via webinars...) spends considerably more time---as much as 10-12 hours on a typical day. We've just installed a hot tub accessible via a door in her office in my attempt to get her to relax every so often. So far that's not worked. Maybe if I show up naked...:D (Nah, that might shut the door).

CaroGirl
02-17-2009, 06:49 PM
From Monday to Friday, I spend a work-mandated 8 hours in front of my cubicle computer. Outside that, it varies depending on how much time I can stand being on the thing. I'd guess, on a workday, probably an average of 9 hours total.

Namatu
02-17-2009, 08:09 PM
10+, and my eyes don't like it. :(

Deadbeat 007
02-17-2009, 10:24 PM
I don't want to know. =/