PDA

View Full Version : Just Pointing Something Out to Mods or Admin (similar member usernames)

alleycat
02-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Here's an interesting "something" that I'm not sure about.

I happened to notice that our newest member is Midnight Muse. At first I went, "Huh?" because I knew we already had a Midnight Muse and she's a friend of mine. It took me a moment to realize that the older member is MidnightMuse and the newer member is Midnight Muse.

I know sometimes members have names that are similar, but these two seem to be so close that it's bound to cause confusion. I'm sure the new member didn't mean to copy someone else's username, it's just one of those coincidences that happen.

I'm thinking that it would be better if the newer member's name was changed to something like "Midnight Muse 2" or something similar.

Or . . . maybe I should just shut up and enjoy the next thread where MidnightMuse and Midnight Muse are both posting. ;-)

dpaterso
02-14-2009, 07:21 PM
So noted, tho' I suspect choice of avatars may prove invaluable! :)

-Derek

Hillary
02-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Interesting... Is there a way to set it so that you can't have simply a reformatted version of a username? It leads me to believe if a single space was all it took for the MidnightMuse and Midnight Muse, I could go register as anyone's name, with simply a space at the beginning or end? (Or are spaces there automatically cut off?) Either way, though... Spelling differences, cool... But simply a minor reformat? I'm not clever enough for that. I might end up sending my constant thinly veiled threats to the wrong people! ;)

alleycat
02-14-2009, 08:11 PM
BTW, I really wasn't sure whether this was a problem or not. I just thought I'd point it out to those in charge and let them make a decision. I know I was taken aback for a moment, but I quickly figured it out.

Haggis
02-14-2009, 08:15 PM
I've been thinking about changing my user name to "alley cat." :D

Beach Bunny
02-14-2009, 08:31 PM
:idea: ... Can I change mine to rollingthunder ? That would really freak people out. :D

alleycat
02-14-2009, 08:35 PM
If you do, everyone will think you're female for some reason.

Hillary
02-14-2009, 08:37 PM
If you do, everyone will think you're female for some reason.

Come on. No one is that stupid.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-15-2009, 07:53 AM

I've been thinking of trying 'Huggis'...

Haggis
02-15-2009, 07:57 AM
I've been thinking of trying 'Huggis'...

What? You want to steal a sock puppet while the guy's on sabbatical? :D

Chumplet
02-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Absolutely nobody is allowed to be Chum Plet.

Chumplet
02-15-2009, 08:00 AM
... or Chump Let.

alleycat
02-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Can I be Old Fashioned Girl? Wait, that doesn't sound right . . .

Chumplet
02-15-2009, 08:52 AM
It's right if you measure the booze just right.

benbradley
02-15-2009, 11:00 AM
At least we're not as popular as AOL in its heyday, otherwise our latest member would be MidnightMuse72853. :D