PDA

View Full Version : What genre do you stay far away from? (Moved from Novels to Roundtable)

Sirion
02-14-2009, 09:30 AM
In terms of writing, not reading (although feel free to comment on reading too), what fiction genres to you tend to stay as far away from as humanly possible.

It's not to say you don't like those genres, you just don't feel comfortable writing them. I was going to make a poll, but I didn't think that would be a fair indicator. (And people may have more than one they avoid).

For me, it's Romance. I have the romantic-emotional range of a teaspoon, and can't write a story revolving around love to save my life. Parts of my novels dealing with love are the hardest to get through, and require the most editing and beta reading because I suck at them. Science Fiction is another one. Every time I put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard) everything I end up writing is so cliche' I can't continue. Oh well.

What about you?

Cranky
02-14-2009, 09:37 AM
I stay away from romance as well, since I am uncomfortable with writing sex scenes. I can do sexual tension okay, but my inclination is to fade to black, and almost all of the romance novels that I've read included full-on sex.

Another is science fiction. Like reading it, but what I know could fill a thimble, so I avoid writing those, too.

ccarver30
02-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Clearly, I do not stay away from romance. *looks at sig* LOL
I guess I have only experimented in 3 genres... there is nothing that I wouldn't write about given a chance. :)

JonSwift
02-14-2009, 09:59 AM
I would say romance as well. But I've written sex scenes before. Let me rephrase that--I've tried to write sex scenes before.

Angel_Lorena26
02-14-2009, 10:09 AM
I would say for sure biographies, memoirs etc anything that is non fiction mainly because it requires alot more work then fiction. I like having the freedom to explore my imagination while non fiction seems more constricted. I am just saying............................................ ...............

Lyra Jean
02-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Mysteries I'm too blunt and predictable in writing I love to do. Working on fixing that. So I don't even want to try mysteries where you have to give enough clues to keep the reader guessing while at the same time trying to throw them off.

I'll read anything. Books, magazines, scraps of paper on the ground. Srsly. I was that bad.

C.M. Daniels
02-14-2009, 10:21 AM
I avoid westerns, because frankly I'm terrible at writing them.

MissKris
02-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Thrillers, especially political and/or technological thrillers. I don't enjoy them much as a reader and, as a writer, you have to have such specialized knowledge in order to be able to pull them off. I just don't have it and I tend to get bored if I either (1) have to read through several pages of explaination or (2) have to spend time looking up a concept myself. The only thrillers I have liked in recent memory are movies - the Bourne Trilogy.

I also dislike pure horror (phsychological can be cool, though) because I am highly susceptible to nightmares.

But that's just me.

Layla
02-14-2009, 10:52 AM
I steer clear of sci-fi.
My first novel was a historical romance, and since then I've attempted fantasy, young adult, and historical. Many people I know stick to only one genre, but I'll never be able to do that. Yet sci-fi just isn't in my field of knowledge and I don't think I should meddle in it just yet. I do like reading some if it though.

sadron
02-14-2009, 12:40 PM
I stay away from Crime and Murder. I can't just write it.

Enzo
02-14-2009, 01:38 PM
I stay away from genres I don't like reading - romance, fantasy, horror.

I'm not too keen on reading science fiction, but there are some scifi movies I loved, so I occasionally might use scifi elements in my writing. But no strange galaxies with starships please.

Hillgate
02-14-2009, 02:18 PM
In terms of writing, not reading (although feel free to comment on reading too), what fiction genres to you tend to stay as far away from as humanly possible.

It's not to say you don't like those genres, you just don't feel comfortable writing them. I was going to make a poll, but I didn't think that would be a fair indicator. (And people may have more than one they avoid).

For me, it's Romance. I have the romantic-emotional range of a teaspoon, and can't write a story revolving around love to save my life. Parts of my novels dealing with love are the hardest to get through, and require the most editing and beta reading because I suck at them. Science Fiction is another one. Every time I put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard) everything I end up writing is so cliche' I can't continue. Oh well.

What about you?

Literary, because when you set out to write something literary, it normally ends up as a pile of poop. The only way you can actually write something 'literary' is if you write it unknowingly and your agent tells you once they've read draft 1: 'jesus, it's literary.'

Linda Adams
02-14-2009, 04:01 PM
For me:

Romance. I don't even like to read them. I tried, to get a broader view of writing, but I just didn't find the stories interesting. In my own stories, I even stay away from romantic subplots. I'm doing an urban fantasy, and one of my motivatation for a male main character was so I wouldn't have to do any sex scenes.

Crime. I like reading them on occasion, but write them? Just not me. It doesn't draw me in to write about an investigation into a murder.

Charlie Horse
02-14-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm not sure there's anything I would intentionally avoid writing. I never know what bug's gonna fly up my ass. That's the beauty of writing satire.

Romantic Heretic
02-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Westerns. I'm a city boy.

Inspirationals. I have a low opinion of religion.

I'll probably never do a gay male romance as I'm just not wired that way. It might make for an interesting writing challenge some day.

MsGneiss
02-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Like most here, I tend to stay away from Romance - just strict full-frontal kind of romance. I can manage romantic tension, perhaps an awkward kiss, but I can't write a story that is focused on romance and sex. And I wouldn't really want to read one either.

I'm an avid reader of crime fiction, but I know that I could never write it. Ah well.

Mad Queen
02-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Romance. And unless it's a masterpiece, I won't read it either. I will probably never write fantasy, though I like to read it.

tehuti88
02-14-2009, 07:38 PM
I don't tend to avoid genres so much as just not write in them because I'm not that interested. If I eventually come up with a story set in a genre I've never done before, I'd probably find a way to make it work. I hate romance stories, for example, but if there's romance in a story of mine, then there you go.

That being said, I pretty much do avoid sci-fi, if only because I'd completely fudge up the "sci" part of it.

Hapax Legomenon
02-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Literary/realistic fiction, especially of the YA variety. Which is strange, considering. I guess I don't trust myself to write myself.

Romance is fine with me as long as it's attached to something else and doesn't seem forced. Too much of it does, though.

Karen Duvall
02-14-2009, 07:50 PM
It's gotta be erotica. I hate reading it because I find it incredibly boring (been there, done it and do it plenty, thank you very much) so writing it would be torture. But I can write romance, which I enjoy reading if it's not overly sentimental or claustrophobic as the heavy ones tend to be.

sheadakota
02-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Romance- I don't mind reading it, but I can't write it to save my soul- also sci-fi- I've dabbled in fantasy but don't think I do it very well- don't get the whole world buiding thing- envy those that do-

Aggy B.
02-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Mysteries and thrillers. Not that I wouldn't try but earlier attempts to even outline such stories were AWFUL.

I write a lot of sci-fi and fantasy but have grown disgusted with high fantasy and typical quest related stories. (Still read them, but no longer enjoy writing anything that doesn't challenge me to do something different.)

I can also say romance is probably not in the near future either. I started an outline that was supposed to be romance and it quickly turned into a creepy urban fantasy. Go figure.

The Lonely One
02-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Not to jump on a bandwagon but: Romance. Love is a facet of almost all my work, but I can't bring myself to focus on a relationship plotwise. Maybe it's the testosterone in me, but I somehow end up killing people in my fictional couples.

Also, I wouldn't touch pure fantasy with a 10-foot-pole. Let's start with the daunting task of creating a world that requires a map included with my novel...

Mystery/crime, eh, I'm not so good at that either. I can mix that with sci-fi, as I have, but the overriding genre is usually literary science fiction. Sometimes I just write pure literary, sometimes with fantasy elements.

Reading-wise I'm not so keen on romance or mystery; I usually read literary or sci-fi, same as my writing preferences. Oh, almost forgot, horror isn't my thing either. About as far as I'll read into that genre is Jackson's Hill House.

maestrowork
02-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Genre romance and chick lit. Epic fantasy. Western.

Gynn
02-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Romance. Unless it's about giant space spiders or something equally appealing.

Claudia Gray
02-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Westerns, inspirational.

I read very little romance, but I would not classify it as a steer-clear.

The Lonely One
02-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Romance. Unless it's about giant space spiders or something equally appealing.

You and your spiders...

lol.

Deb Kinnard
02-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Horror. I've lived through plenty of horrific events in my daily life (my boss, for one), but I don't read it and wouldn't want to try writing it.

Erotica. No slam against those who love to read & write it, but it's just not for me.

I'd love to write SF, but I'm not smart enough. I have a mystery 10% done, just to prove I might be able to do it, but the jury's still out.

For my daily diet? Romance, and plenty of it.

Given under my hand at Casa Chaos, this Valentine's day of 2009.

nevada
02-14-2009, 09:46 PM
I don't write what I don't like to read. well, don't like. won't read. Westerns. and Horror. Westerns cause they just don't do it for me, and Horror cause it just doesn't scare me when it's written. I'll watch western movies, if they're really good, and i'll watch horror movies. but books? nope.

other than those two i've tried everything but gave up some because i'm innately lazy and the research did not appeal. Historical. which someone pointed out i could have made into a straight fantasy but that still would require research, so i retooled it as a modern literary novel. which is now looking like it might be more thrillerish. which means research. *sigh*

deserata
02-14-2009, 11:21 PM
I'd never attempt chick lit, erotica, westerns, or horror. Or anything that requires super specialized knowledge to write about, like espionage or international political stuff.

I don't have the right mind for sci-fi or fantasy, and while I don't go out of my way to even read these genres, it still intrigues me. I might still attempt it someday, if the inspiration strikes me so.

RJK
02-14-2009, 11:30 PM
I stick with what I know, and no one's called me a romantic in a long time. Seriously, I don't read it and wouldn't enjoy writing about it. If I have a romantic scene in my stories, It is definitely a fade to black.

KikiteNeko
02-14-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't read or write chick lit, romance, horror. I am a fan of literary suspense and twisted plot lines, so that's what I read and write. I don't stray from that often.

Swordswoman
02-14-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm ashamed now, because I do have a secret yearning to write romance. I once started a Harlequin type historical romance while waiting to hear back from an agent, and though I went into it very cynically I found I loved doing it - it was like writing with the 'naff brake' off, and it was frightening to discover what came pouring out. However, the craft of doing it well was really challenging, and taught me a salutary lesson in humility. Anyone who succeeds in this genre is (in my opinion) a genius.

Fortunately for the world, I abandoned the book when I had a response on my other novel, so my romantic hero and heroine are still stuck in coitus interruptus somewhere in the Forest of Compiegne and likely to stay there for ever.

Otherwise sci-fi, fantasy and horror - and probably children's. I worked too long in TV straining credibility to excise anything not suitable for viewing before 9pm, and I'm loving the freedom of writing novels where I can actually write stuff that's real!

gothicangel
02-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Romance/chick lit because I flinch at the the idea of fairytale/happy endings. I like my books dark and gritty.

Political thrillers/police procedure: just find them boring.

Kids.

Horseshoes
02-15-2009, 12:00 AM
Horror. Oh. My. There are a few other genres I don't read or write but horror horrifies me.
As a kid, my sisters *loved* horror. Watched the Night Stalker and every scary movie: The Omen, Carrie, Rosemary's Baby, The Shining. I couldn't be in the room reading a book. The screaming. The screaming. I stick up for myself w/ the defense that there are different kinds of courage. I can jump out of a plane, off a helicopter struts while wearing scuba gear. I'll happily go into a burning building, race a gnarly trail on a lunatic horse, talk someone out of offing someone or do what it takes to stop the situation. But I will not read or watch something scary.
Even kinda scary. I mean, a movie like The Others scared me. The Gift scared me.
Me big scaredy cat in ways.

Sneaky Devil
02-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Sci Fi I tend to stay away from in my writing, but I do write Fantasy...weird.

AnonymousWriter
02-15-2009, 12:29 AM
There seems to be a few trends going on here.
But I must also jump on the bandwagon; romance/erotica, sci-fi, fantasy or western.
I wouldn't totally avoid horror, but I probably wouldn't be great at it.

And also humour. I'm afraid I'm just not funny...

Bubastes
02-15-2009, 12:36 AM
Horror, sci-fi/fantasy, western, crime fiction. Everything else is fair game for me, but I enjoy writing women's fiction the most. Genre romance is more challenging for me because I find I'm incapable of writing a nice, neat happy ending.

kaitlin008
02-15-2009, 12:37 AM
I don't think I could ever write chick lit. I don't read it, and I try to avoid movies based on chick lit books, so I probably would fail at it.

Ken
02-15-2009, 12:56 AM
...am intrigued by all genres. If I had the talent and time I'd try them all.

Leaf
02-15-2009, 01:01 AM
My own relationships have sucked, and I'm more of a sarcastic humour kind of guy, so I usually don't tread in romance and humour. Ironically, I write a lot of alternate history, while I avoid general historical fiction.

secretblue3
02-15-2009, 01:23 AM
I definitely avoid children's. I might try YA at some point, but no little kids.

I don't read as broadly as I'd like to, so genres I won't write in until I've read more: mystery, women's fiction, contemporary romance, thriller, western (doubtful that I'll ever want to write westerns, unless it's steampunk), mainstream, literary . . .

I think I need to read something other than fantasy and erotica.

Horserider
02-15-2009, 01:48 AM
Horror and anything supernatural

Inarticulate Babbler
02-15-2009, 02:00 AM
My no-nos are: Romance; Hard Sci-Fi; Literary; Chick-lit; Gay; Biographies and most Non-Fiction.

As a counter, the genres I write in most are: Historical Fiction; Fantasy; Dark Fantasy; Horror; Soft Sci-Fi/Space Opera; Mainstream; Suspence, Thriller and Crime...and tentatively Western. A cross (slipstream) of any of the preceding.

Anything not mentioned I'd try, but only if I read something that sparked the flow of creative juices.

Alan Yee
02-15-2009, 02:09 AM
Literary/mainstream, mystery, thriller, romance (although there are romantic relationships in my stories), children's, and YA (even though I am a teenager, I've never been very interested in books for kids or teens).

I know I probably should read more widely, but fantasy, horror, and (to a lesser extent) science fiction are the main genres I read and write. I just don't find a lot of other genres to be very interesting. I tend to write the same genres as I read, although I'm usually more likely to read SF than write it.

Rarri
02-15-2009, 02:12 AM
Horror, historical and romance. They all frighten me!

RunawayScribe
02-15-2009, 03:18 AM
Genre romance. A story can have romance in it - a couple of mine do - but straight-up, gushy, love-and-sex-and-nothing-more romance? Nope. Not for me. Don't read it. Don't write it. Don't want to.

CheshireCat
02-15-2009, 04:11 AM
I don't really stay away from any of them, barring non-fiction (as a writer, not a reader).

I've written most everything else, at one time or another. Haven't tried YA, but since I still fondly remember Nancy Drew and Trixie Beldon, I wouldn't rule out trying that sort of thing one day.

:Shrug:

I don't like to close doors, and I'll try anything if the story idea intrigues me enough.

ChaosTitan
02-15-2009, 04:22 AM
The only genres I tend to not read in are political/technological thrillers (Clancy, etc...), action/adventure (Cussler, etc..) and law thrillers (Grisham...is there an etc...?), so there's no way in heck I'd attempt to write them. There are a lot of genres I do enjoy that I haven't tried writing in yet. :D

DMarie84
02-15-2009, 04:48 AM
I stay away from romance as well, since I am uncomfortable with writing sex scenes. I can do sexual tension okay, but my inclination is to fade to black, and almost all of the romance novels that I've read included full-on sex.

Another is science fiction. Like reading it, but what I know could fill a thimble, so I avoid writing those, too.

I'm like that too--I don't write sex scenes simply because I'm uncomfortable with it. Sexual tension is fine; I just don't see the need to write graphic sex scenes, but that's just me. Fade-to-black is my method. So I don't really write the Harlequin-type romance, though I can write romance that's not a bodice ripper :P

I also don't do Sci-Fi, mysteries, political or law thrillers horror or fantasy. I'm pretty much strictly historical, though I do write an occassional contemporary short story.

Reading wise, I stay away from mysteries, sci-fi, and erotica.

Shweta
02-15-2009, 05:03 AM
Moving to the Roundtable :)

ETA: Or, you know, attempting to and then having the forums fritz on me. Trying again :)

MrWrite
02-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Western and romance are two genres I probably won't try to write. I love reading westerns but don't feel comfortable with the idea of writing one. Too afraid of making mistakes and being called out lol.
I mainly love to write supernatural stories.

KTC
02-15-2009, 08:11 AM
I loath science fiction. I don't do it. If I liked it, I would write in it. I'd feel comfortable tackling anything...but I don't write what I don't like.

Beautiful_Liar
02-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Sci-fi, sci-fi, sci-fi
And fantasy

& Romance..
I know, I'm lame

Henri Bauholz
02-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Chic lit.

Beautiful_Liar
02-15-2009, 10:45 AM
oh and also - horror, mystery, and westerns.
I just like regular drama.

cooeedownunder
02-16-2009, 12:44 AM
Horror and mainstream contempory.

vixey
02-16-2009, 12:50 AM
Westerns for me. And in spite of the fact that I majored in history in college, I don't have the inspiration to write historical fiction. At least not at the moment - who knows?

BenPanced
02-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Right now, it seems like everybody and his Uncle Judy and Aunt Lars are writing some sort of epic fantasy saga, so I'm avoiding that.

HeronW
02-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Bodice busters--read one by mistake 40 years ago and regretted it ever since. Same ol, same ol: should she or shouldn't she, is he or isn't he the one, hate the bastard but the other bastard is worse, yawnnnnnn.

zebedee
02-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Literary/mainstream, anything to do with lawyers or politicians, hard sci-fi.

I usually write supernatural thrillers.

selkn.asrai
02-16-2009, 08:47 PM
I won't write what I won't read.

That means no scifi/fantasy, mystery, thrillers, romance/erotica (so, no genre/mass market fiction). No urban fiction, no chick lit (like the Shopaholic series). While I've read a good Western--The Assassination of Jesse James--I don't think I'd ever endeavor to write one. It would be nothing but a deluge of cliched idiocy.

I'd so write non-fiction, though.

DeleyanLee
02-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Science fiction. Chick (or any variety of female) lit. Literary.

Preferences are Fantasy, Historical and Romance (including erotic) and any combination thereof.

Ardellis
02-17-2009, 03:45 AM
I'm in the "wouldn't write what I don't like reading" camp. I simply don't get chick lit, and most mainstream fiction leaves me cold. Horror? No, thanks; I like my sleep nightmare-free. And mysteries look like too much work and not enough fun.

Give me fantasy, urban fantasy, and science fiction, please!

darkchild
02-17-2009, 03:52 AM
Romance. I don't know about u but my folks expect because im a chick i should be good at talking and writing about *feelings* ::shivers:: I prefer blood and gore any day, but i write YA fantasy :)

brainstorm77
02-17-2009, 04:03 AM
I won't write Fantasy. I don't read it, have no interest in it. And anything non-fiction.

8thSamurai
02-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Splatterpunk - graphic for graphic's sake is not my cup of tea.

Generally romance - it has to be pretty spectacular to keep my attention. (The Dark Jewels trilogy and Galbadon's Outlander series have been the exceptions so far.)

blacbird
02-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Romance.

Owing to lack of personal experience.

caw