PDA

View Full Version : Thanks - You guys are wonderful.

cooeedownunder
02-14-2009, 07:52 AM
It’s Valentine’s Day here today, so I thought I would give back some love. :heart:

In the last week Australian avitars have been popping up everywhere, and more than a hundred of you guys from overseas have expressed your prayers and good wishes, via posts, reps, pms, by editing custom user titles, by changing your locations, or adding signatures acknowledging us. I just wanted to let you know the heartfelt wish you have all extended has not gone unnoticed.

Aussie Jo has her location as Between Hell and High Water, Australia. It’s what most in Australia have felt. I just wanted to personally say thankyou to all AWs who have given their love and support. Each and everyone of you have brought a smile to my face, and I am sure all the Australians on this board, and kept me positive for days as you can tell by the list below, which I am sure is not conclusive of everybody. So thankyou EVERYBODY.

Below are many that I have noticed, and thankyou all.

Alleycat - Temporary Aussie

Angie
Annayna
Auntybug
Bahamutchild
BayouBill
BeachBunny
Benbradley
BenPanced
Blacbird
Bluestone
Bmwhtly

brad_b - Location: Support Our Aussie Friends

Bubastes
CACTUSWENDY
callalily61

Calixus - Prayers to our Mates

CaroGirl
Carole
C.bronco
Cranky
Cray
CrownedSun
Dahmnait
DamaNegra
Darkprincealain
Darzian
DL Hegel
dpaterso

Emc07 - Thinkin' of the aussies...

ErylRavenwell

Euclid - Praying for rain in Victoria
Eyeblink
Firedrake
GJB
Goodchild
Greenify13

Greenwolf103 - In my thoughts and prayers

Haggis
HeronW
IdiotsRUs
Inky

JeanMarie - Straight from the heart

JennaGlatzer
Jennifernobile

JerseyChick - Thinking about Australia

Joe270
Julie thorpe
Kate Thornton
Kenzie - Location: One of the 40,000 Aussie ex-pats living in London

K1P1

Komnena - Advance Australia Fair.

kristie911
KTC
MacAllister
MaryMumsy
Medievalist

Monkey - Love those Awesome Aussies!

M.R.J. Le Blanc - Love the Land Down Under

mscelina - Doom Bunny helps...mightily. Location: In support of our Aussie friends--Doom Bunny is on the way

MsK

Myscribe - Hug an Australian!

Neurotic - Location: Hunts man

nevada

Ol'FashionedGirl - Oy! Oy! Oy! - Location: My Heart's in Australia with y'all...

Oneblindmouse - I'm with the Ozzies

overtired

Pagey's_Girl - Under the Milky Way tonight - Location: With our Aussie friends in our hearts

Perks

Petec - Supporting Aussie friends

Pilot

QuickWit - I've got your dingo...

Qwerty
Rachel

Regdog - Location: Supporting our Aussie friends

Sassandgroove - Thinking of Aussie Friends.

Scarletpeaches - Huge Ackman

Sean D. Schaffer - Location: Thinking of my friends in Australia

Semilargeintestine - Imitation Thorpedo - Location: Too far from home

Shadow_Ferret - I salute my Aussie Friends - Location: living in a land down under eating vegemite sammies.

shyne
sissybaby

slcboston – Location: Where women glow and men plunder

smoothseas - Stay safe, Aussie friends... Location: Imagining the bright Southern Cross

SneakyDevil

Soccer Mom - Iz Koala now.

SouthernFriedJulie

Stew21 - Aussie Aussie Aussie!

Stlight - Location: thoughts are with all in Australia

Susie - Prayers for Aussie friends

SWickham
Swordswoman

TheRightEyedDeer - sending hugs to all Aussies

Tia

Veinglory

Vixey - Supporting Aussie friends

WayneK - Is so good looking I'd flip.

Woof

Writerterri - We are with you in spirit.

Yeshanu - Praying for Australia

Some of the beautiful images about the place

http://www.australianflavour.net/Document-2-page1.jpeg

http://www.australianflavour.net/Document-3-page1.jpeg

THANKS GUYS – HAVE A GREAT VALENTINES DAY! :heart:

I will leave with another Australian’s, poetinahat, custom user title
we burn, but then we grow

KTC
02-14-2009, 07:54 AM
WOW! What an amazing feat this must have been to pull together! We're proud to be honorary Aussies.

firedrake
02-14-2009, 07:56 AM
*coughs*

What about my lovely Brolga?

Haggis
02-14-2009, 08:00 AM
And I'd like to send a special shout out to Regdog for starting the Aussie Avatar weekend thread. Super stuff, Heather.

AW is a huge, international community. When one of us hurts, we all hurt

We love you, Australia. Even if we don't understand all the oy, oy, oy stufff. :D

Beach Bunny
02-14-2009, 08:02 AM
:Hug2: For all our Aussie members. We :heart: you.

*cough*whataboutsiggies*cough*

MaryMumsy
02-14-2009, 08:05 AM
If we can't be there for real, we are with you in spirit. :Hug2::Hug2:For all our Aussie friends. This too shall pass, and you will all be stronger.

MM

Susie
02-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Coo and all Aussie's are very special and dear to us. What a great tribute you gave us! Many prayers & (((((((HUGS)))))) to all of you Aussie's here and in Australia. Love you all!

DL Hegel
02-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Love and prayers to all the Aussie Awrs.

Coo--special love and hugs to you girl--you are always sweet and lovely to me:)

dl hegel

cooeedownunder
02-14-2009, 08:13 AM
*coughs*

What about my lovely Brolga?

Um, you need glasses ;)

cooeedownunder
02-14-2009, 08:14 AM
:Hug2: For all our Aussie members. We :heart: you.

*cough*whataboutsiggies*cough*

Um, you need glasses too :D

Wayne K
02-14-2009, 08:20 AM
oy, oy, oy stufff. :D

AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE!

firedrake
02-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Um, you need glasses ;)

lol! I know! I lost them 6 months ago.

Anyway, a big up to Oz, the Lucky Country. Best three weeks of travel I ever had. I've never seen so many good looking men as I did in Darwin.

semilargeintestine
02-14-2009, 08:28 AM
AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE!

OY! OY! OY!

This forum makes me proud to be Aussie, and despite what's going on, I wish I were home!

Wayne K
02-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks SLI I was starting to hear cricket sounds.

Greenify13
02-14-2009, 08:33 AM
My heart truly aches for what you Aussies must be going through, home or not.:Hug2:

semilargeintestine
02-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks SLI I was starting to hear cricket sounds.

No worries mate. Always up for a cheer!

semilargeintestine
02-14-2009, 08:52 AM
My heart truly aches for what you Aussies must be going through, home or not.:Hug2:

I actually feel bad for not being there.

cooeedownunder
02-14-2009, 08:53 AM
And I'd like to send a special shout out to Regdog for starting the Aussie Avatar weekend thread. Super stuff, Heather.

We love you, Australia. Even if we don't understand all the oy, oy, oy stufff. :D

:e2Order: You are a SWEETHEART - have a great Valentine's Day tomorrow....may it start before you get out bed :D

Greenify13
02-14-2009, 08:57 AM
I can imagine, if something like this was happening on my home-front I would want to be there if I was away. I would feel useless otherwise.

Wayne K
02-14-2009, 09:13 AM
I was living on 16th street when the world trade center was hit. Of course I was the one and only New Yorker who wasn't standing on Vesey street when it happened, and I wasn't with the 6.9 million people who were digging through the rubble, but I was home, and it was scary as hell. I think I can guess what you guys are going through. The feeling of people pulling for you and pulling together was the one good thing that came from it. I hope you guys are feeling that from us here.

Jersey Chick
02-14-2009, 09:17 AM
{{{HUGS}}} to my Aussie friends! The best thing about people is how they pull together when something happens - even if it just changing avatars and user titles...

cooeedownunder
02-14-2009, 09:19 AM
If we can't be there for real, we are with you in spirit. :Hug2::Hug2:For all our Aussie friends. This too shall pass, and you will all be stronger.

MM

:Hug2:

Greenify13
02-14-2009, 09:21 AM
I understand that WayneK. I was still in h.s. near Buffalo NY, when that happened we were all sent home to watch the news and well stay out of public areas. I knew people that were volunteer firemen who had went to help out where needed. That was a travesty that tried to take down a country that was not going to not pull together. For once. But it was that incidence that made my decision to join the military when I graduated. There was a lot of remorse for that series of events.
I hope even though we may not be able to do a lot physically to help you guys out, that you understand we are pulling for you as well.

cooeedownunder
02-14-2009, 09:23 AM
OY! OY! OY!

This forum makes me proud to be Aussie, and despite what's going on, I wish I were home!

What is important is that you are safe and together we are here :Hug2:

cooeedownunder
02-14-2009, 09:27 AM
I can imagine, if something like this was happening on my home-front I would want to be there if I was away. I would feel useless otherwise.

What has been wonderful about these boards once the news started to get out, is that you guys have given us support when us here, not directly in the fire or flood areas feel so very very helpless. There is nothing more heart wrenching then seeing people suffer, and I guess with that we here feel a bit guilty that we have escaped somewhat. But I don't think our country will be quite the same again. I think we may have lost our innocence in regards to witnessing great suffering among our people.

cooeedownunder
02-14-2009, 09:38 AM

It's Valentine Day - go get dressed up and impress some wonderful woman with your Aussie charm, alternatively visit Beach Bunny's surf bar - you are sure to get some attention there :)

Wayne K
02-14-2009, 09:54 AM
It's Valentine Day - go get dressed up and impress some wonderful woman with your Aussie charm, alternatively visit Beach Bunny's surf bar - you are sure to get some attention there :)

He certainly is.

benbradley
02-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Okay, didn't want to be the last one, but I finally did it.

Here's to the Aussies!

ETA: check out the news story in my "Location:"

cooeedownunder
02-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Okay, didn't want to be the last one, but I finally did it.

Here's to the Aussies!

ETA: check out the news story in my "Location:"

You mustn't have glasses either ;)

Fenika
02-14-2009, 01:18 PM
What a lovely list.

Ya know, it's 4am on v-day, and after seeing this thread I can drop my usual bah-humbug, stop joking about SAD (singles awareness day) for a moment, and wish everyone a happy Valentines Day!

Cheers folks. Stay safe.

qwerty
02-14-2009, 02:18 PM
What happened in Oz won't be forgotten, even when it moves out of media focus.

Neither will Cooee's untiring effort keeping us informed, and the heart-warming responses from all the AWers.

chevbrock
02-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks everyone, and thanks, Cooee!

I think a good thing about this whole "global village" caper is that we tend to all pull together in times of crisis. For me, personally, I felt shockwaves from 9/11, even though I didn't know anyone who lived there who was directly affected by the tragedy. But I still hated the sound of a plane flying overhead for weeks afterward, and still couldn't get to sleep some nights.

So, although I thank my maker that everyone I know in this country is safe from fire and floods, these two crises still affected me, knowing that I live in a similar setting - this could easily be my village, my home and my family. It was frightening and shocking and completely overawing (is that a real word?)

So again, thanks for all the support. And thanks to Cooee for orchestrating this and pulling everyone together.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-14-2009, 04:22 PM

AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE!

OY! OY! OY!

AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE!

regdog
02-14-2009, 05:26 PM

smoothseas
02-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Way too may great posts to multi-quote, so I SECOND them all...

Wayne K
02-14-2009, 06:42 PM
AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE!
OY! OY! OY!

cooeedownunder
02-15-2009, 12:50 AM
OY! OY! OY!

HAPPY VALENTINE DAY'S GUYS

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

alleycat
02-15-2009, 12:53 AM
I broke my OY!

:-(

regdog
02-15-2009, 01:04 AM
I broke my OY!

:-(

Oh no

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/smiley-sick033.gif

emc07
02-15-2009, 01:16 AM
What a great tribute. Looked like it took a while too. Thoughts and Prayers are with all the aussies! Glad a small gesture can make a difference in your lives... Happy V-day!

cooeedownunder
02-15-2009, 01:25 AM
Fixed it. :D HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! :)

OY! OY! OY!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-15-2009, 01:48 AM
AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE!

cooeedownunder
02-15-2009, 01:52 AM
\

OY OY OY!

semilargeintestine
02-15-2009, 01:53 AM
\

OY OY OY!

AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE!

alleycat
02-15-2009, 03:33 AM
By the way, if anyone sees Alice.S around the forum, tell her to drop a line to her old forum buddy.

BenPanced
02-15-2009, 03:59 AM
Finally found an avi I like.

Still wanna visit Australia some day. No real reason, except "because it's there".

Kateri
02-15-2009, 04:14 AM
You are all AMAZING. The love and warmth given to us Aussies and each other is the best. We are only minutes away in thoughts and love. As Maya Angelou says: "People SHOW you who they are". Straight back atcha!

Jo
02-15-2009, 04:26 AM
You are all AMAZING. The love and warmth given to us Aussies and each other is the best. We are only minutes away in thoughts and love. As Maya Angelou says: "People SHOW you who they are". Straight back atcha!

Yeppers.

:e2flowers :TheWave: :e2grouphu :LilLove:

DL Hegel
02-15-2009, 04:41 AM
big hugs Kat and Jo:)

cooeedownunder
02-15-2009, 05:14 AM
Love the new avi guys :)

alleycat
02-15-2009, 05:52 AM
I know we've all had a lot of fun with this, and hopefully helped our Aussie friends feel like they're not alone and that we are all one when something like this happens. In all seriousness, we really do understand, and it not just for fun that we're doing this (although there is nothing wrong with having a little fun together).

Last year at about this same time I wasn't online, at least not for a while. I was watching a radar screen showing tornadoes entering the area where I live. The tornadoes that hit that night killed a total of 57 people in four southern US states, 31 of them in Tennessee alone, mostly in the greater Nashville area where I live. At one point the radar showed an F4 tornado within a mile of my house. I spend my time trying to comfort someone online who was new to the area. And making an occasional flying cow joke. ;-)

From February of 2008: http://www.city-data.com/forum/tennessee/251098-heavy-storms-moving-into-middle-tennessee.html

Stay well, Aussies, we'll be thinking of you.

cooeedownunder
02-15-2009, 05:58 AM
I know we've all had a lot of fun with this, and hopefully helped our Aussie friends feel like they're not alone and that we are all one when something like this happens. In all seriousness, we really do understand, and it not just for fun that we're doing this (although there is nothing wrong with having a little fun together).

Last year at about this same time I wasn't online, at least not for a while. I was watching a radar screen showing tornadoes entering the area where I live. The tornadoes that hit that night killed a total of 57 people in four southern US states, 31 of them in Tennessee alone, mostly in the greater Nashville area where I live. At one point the radar showed an F4 tornado within a mile of my house. I spend my time trying to comfort someone online who was new to the area. And making an occasion flying cow joke. ;-)

From February of 2008: http://www.city-data.com/forum/tennessee/251098-heavy-storms-moving-into-middle-tennessee.html

Stay well, Aussies, we'll be thinking of you.

I saw that a tornado hit somewhere else in the US a few days ago killing 15 or 25 people. Horrible, disasters just keep on comming, but yes, it is good to be able to have a laugh and remember that we are not alone. :)

CrownedSun
02-15-2009, 06:26 AM
I'm honored to be on that list, so thank you. I really don't deserve any recognition. All I did was grab myself an icon and join in with the others that'd come before me. Really, I know how horrible nature's wrath can be at times like these. I've lived in Florida all my life, dodging Hurricanes. I didn't quite dodge one of them, and I've had family that have also failed to move out of the way. It's very very difficult.

Once I realized what people were doing, it didn't seem right not to grab the icon.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-15-2009, 07:50 AM
I saw that a tornado hit somewhere else in the US a few days ago killing 15 or 25 people. Horrible, disasters just keep on comming, but yes, it is good to be able to have a laugh and remember that we are not alone. :)

Actually, that was the little town of Lone Grove, Oklahoma... just down I-35 from Oklahoma City last Tuesday. Earlier in the day, those buggers hit north of my office, too, then traveled northeast for about 48 miles, IIRC, and wiped out six houses in one of the most affluent neighborhoods north of Edmond. It was later that night the F4 hit Lone Grove. Last official count was 9 dead - I heard 15, too, but that was corrected later as they located the missing.

There's been many a night y'all have held my hand and laughed with me as I duck and cover... I know what a smile and a (virtual) hand can do... I'm glad we've been able to offer both to our Aussie friends. And next time the tornado sirens blow, I'll be right here looking for another smile m'self. :)

BenPanced
02-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Well, we're a community here, right? :Hug2:

cooeedownunder
02-15-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm honored to be on that list, so thank you. I really don't deserve any recognition. All I did was grab myself an icon and join in with the others that'd come before me. Really, I know how horrible nature's wrath can be at times like these. I've lived in Florida all my life, dodging Hurricanes. I didn't quite dodge one of them, and I've had family that have also failed to move out of the way. It's very very difficult.

Once I realized what people were doing, it didn't seem right not to grab the icon.

Nethless you didn't have to, and it has been appreciated. :)

cooeedownunder
02-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Actually, that was the little town of Lone Grove, Oklahoma... just down I-35 from Oklahoma City last Tuesday. Earlier in the day, those buggers hit north of my office, too, then traveled northeast for about 48 miles, IIRC, and wiped out six houses in one of the most affluent neighborhoods north of Edmond. It was later that night the F4 hit Lone Grove. Last official count was 9 dead - I heard 15, too, but that was corrected later as they located the missing.

There's been many a night y'all have held my hand and laughed with me as I duck and cover... I know what a smile and a (virtual) hand can do... I'm glad we've been able to offer both to our Aussie friends. And next time the tornado sirens blow, I'll be right here looking for another smile m'self. :)

We will most certainly be here :)

Angie
02-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Well, I'm a little late to the party, as usual, but I'm honored to be on that list. And quite impressed by the list -- how long did it take you to compile all the names and avis from all those people?? O.o

As always, :Hug2: to you and all our Aussie members.

cooeedownunder
02-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Well, I'm a little late to the party, as usual, but I'm honored to be on that list. And quite impressed by the list -- how long did it take you to compile all the names and avis from all those people?? O.o

As always, :Hug2: to you and all our Aussie members.

It was a bit like collecting stamps :)

John Paton
02-16-2009, 02:01 AM
well done cooee ;)

Aussie Aussie Aussie

bsolah
02-16-2009, 02:14 AM
Uh, you missed my avi?

cooeedownunder
02-16-2009, 02:42 AM
Uh, you missed my avi?

Um, no I didn't. I did not include our avis :)

cooeedownunder
02-16-2009, 02:43 AM
well done cooee ;)

Aussie Aussie Aussie

BLAH BLAH BLAH - SPORTING CAPTIAL OF THE WORLD - PLEASE! :D

OY OY OY!

eyeblink
02-16-2009, 02:55 AM
Anyone know which Australian film my avatar comes from?

Wayne K
02-16-2009, 03:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFErZurWGv8

Found it!

Wayne K
02-16-2009, 03:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HfELRbhZw0

And another.

cooeedownunder
02-16-2009, 04:44 AM
Anyone know which Australian film my avatar comes from?

Possibly Picnic at Hanging Rock?

Kate Thornton
02-16-2009, 05:03 AM
Late, but still at the party!
My Aussie Brother & Sister in Law are okay, but seriously nervous.
(Hang in there, Charlie & Joyce!)

cooeedownunder
02-16-2009, 05:16 AM
Late, but still at the party!
My Aussie Brother & Sister in Law are okay, but seriously nervous.
(Hang in there, Charlie & Joyce!)

Hey Kate, it is never too late. :Hug2:

eyeblink
02-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Possibly Picnic at Hanging Rock?

It is indeed.

Kateri
02-16-2009, 10:53 PM

We are only a heartbeat away Old Fashioned Girl. That story is very scary, love to you.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
02-16-2009, 11:29 PM
It was a bit like collecting stamps :)

Hey I collect stamps! (yes I'm a nerd :tongue ) Someone should send me some Australian stamps so I can add them to my collection. Love to our Aussie members :Hug2:

cooeedownunder
02-17-2009, 12:04 AM
It is indeed.

:ROFL: I don't know how many years ago I seen that movie.

cooeedownunder
02-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Hey I collect stamps! (yes I'm a nerd :tongue ) Someone should send me some Australian stamps so I can add them to my collection. Love to our Aussie members :Hug2:

I don't collect stamps anymore but I know our postoffice sells stamp packs from around the world. Does you postoffice sell them?

Calixus
02-17-2009, 02:51 AM
I understand that WayneK. I was still in h.s. near Buffalo NY, when that happened we were all sent home to watch the news and well stay out of public areas. I knew people that were volunteer firemen who had went to help out where needed. That was a travesty that tried to take down a country that was not going to not pull together. For once. But it was that incidence that made my decision to join the military when I graduated. There was a lot of remorse for that series of events.
I hope even though we may not be able to do a lot physically to help you guys out, that you understand we are pulling for you as well.

That is why my youngest insisted on joining the National Guard at 17 too, Greeny. He is still affected by 9/11. He was old enough to understand all the political things involved but young enough to feel helpless.

I add my voice to all those before me in sending my heart felt wish of comfort and prayers for aid to all our Aussie Cousins. Being a native Californian, I have seen the devestation of the Santa Anna Winds during fire season there and my heart truly aches for all you have lost. Keep your chins up and if all else fails, join the sharks. It might be safer to swim with them than in the fire zone...;) (JK, still have night mares about Jaws and that was like a century ago....)

Cali