Too much advil?

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
The packet says not to exceed 6 tablets in 24 hours. I just popped my 7th. What's gonna happen? I neeeeeeeded it.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You'll develop exactly 10.5 ulcers and your joints will all collapse and fuse while your kidneys cry out at the cruelty of it all.

Sorry. More seriously- There are lots of side effects to advil. See if you can get a stronger drug with less side effects or switch to a COX2 (like advil but less side effects). Doctors often have samples to get you started too.

Palmfrond

cereal killer
Registered
Reaction score
A common prescription dose of ibuprofen is 800 mg every six hours. That's four of the over-the-counter pills every six hours. I took this much for six weeks around the clock when I broke my collarbone, no ulcer, but your mileage may vary.

Aleve works about the same for equivalent doses, is more likely to cause kidney problems, less likely to cause ulcers, but not a lot different.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I ended up with kidney stones from popping them but I took around three times what you took for a few weeks. If you're going to exceed the dosage take lots and lots of vitamin c and drink tons of water.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Yea, I take them (sometimes 3 at a time) at that time. I've got a nasty cold and my body aches worse than during childbirth. Well maybe not that bad.

I have used Aleve, but I prefer my Advil.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Usually an OTC ibuprofen tablet has 200mg of active drug in it. As said upthread, docs prescribe 800mg tablets for certain conditions, such as childbirth.

I've been known to pop four of them (OTC 200mg that is) at a time during my special time as well.

IRRC, the nasty side effects usually come from taking high doses for a longer period of time such as a couple weeks.

I know way more about pharmaceuticals than I should, but alas I am not a doctor or pharmacist so take my words with some salt.

Last edited:

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I'm scared of medicine (no really, I am) so I've never been in your situation, but my sister used to pop Advils in her mouth like they were breath mints. Nothing ever happened to her, but I assume taking a lot could be dangerous, taking one too many is probably nothing. Or you'll shortly be arrested for abuse of nonprescription drugs. :D

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
From someone who has worked in health care- Nothing is going to happen as long as you do not exceed the prescription dosage amount routinely. Some stomach irritation may occur, much like with aspirin. Take with food or milk to offset this.

I don't like Wayne's vitamin C suggestion for more than a few days. Some recent studies have found that large doses of C can cause damage to the heart and on a DNA level if taken often. I feel like an ass by disagreeing with him, but I only disagree on the 'lots and lots' part. Taking 1000 mg a day would help, though. (I'm sorry Wayne!)

Another way to help reduce your risk of developing kidney stones is to drink a lot of water to flush your body. You should be drinking your 8 glasses anyway!

*Edit* A;so if you can, take Advil once, Tylenol next. This will keep you from any overdose problem in case you forget times.

Last edited:

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Actually, this reminded me -

When my daughter was born (via C-section), my midwife forgot to get me a scrip for pain (she was an idiot in more ways than one), and told me to take 4 Advil at a time. I checked with my pharmacist (no offense to any docs here - but I tend to take the pharmacist's word over a doctor's) who said there shouldn't be any problem as long as it was just temporary.

That was 8 years ago and I'm alive and kicking and ulcer-free, with my own liver and everything, still.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
From someone who has worked in health care- Nothing is going to happen as long as you do not exceed the prescription dosage amount routinely. Some stomach irritation may occur, much like with aspirin. Take with food or milk to offset this.

I don't like Wayne's vitamin C suggestion for more than a few days. Some recent studies have found that large doses of C can cause damage to the heart and on a DNA level if taken often. I feel like an ass by disagreeing with him, but I only disagree on the 'lots and lots' part. Taking 1000 mg a day would help, though. (I'm sorry Wayne!)

Another way to help reduce your risk of developing kidney stones is to drink a lot of water to flush your body. You should be drinking your 8 glasses anyway!

*Edit* A;so if you can, take Advil once, Tylenol next. This will keep you from any overdose problem in case you forget times.

Wow should I worry about the 2 1000mg tablets of Vit C that I took yesterday?

Eeegads. I'm just all about overdosing these days.

Susie - yea, it was a doozy. Yesterday I thought it was turning into a Sinus infection, and still have reason to believe its lingering...my eyes are funny, and my sockets kinda hurt. If that makes sense. My body feels better, it was aching real bad. Two nights sleeping with the heater 2 feet away really helped though. I'm advil free today. A little stuffy. Lots of ick coming out successfully, and I'm drinking lots of hott tea not so much cold water though. But I do feel better.

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Technically, anything over the recommended daily dose is an overdose and can (legitimately) require medical attention.

It's interesting to read the studies of how (long term) theraputic doses of vitamin C (IE 3 gram) have benefited mental illness, schizophrenia inparticular. Sorry, bit random!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A friend once thought he was having an acid flashback but was disappointed when we pointed out he'd only overdosed on Exedrin. Too much aspirin and caffeine'll do that to a guy.