Stupid injuries we have all sustained

Reaction score
I've just done it again. Not too severe this time, but I had my CD player speakers on the floor, bent to pick one up and managed to mangle my pinky toe by battering it off my armchair.

I have also (in the past, not all at once) razored a chunk of skin off the palm of my hand - needed two stitches there.

Oh, and there was the time I managed to close a door in my hall, mysteriously forgetting my head was in the way, thereby grazing off the top layer of skin in a Harry Potteresque lightning bolt shape across my forehead.

And years ago I dislocated my thumb punching someone. But we won't talk about that.

Go on. Tell me how stupid y'all are. I don't want to feel like the only self-harming-by-accident goon in here.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Nearly slicing the top of my finger off with a tin of Fray Bentos corned beef.
Breaking my arm by tripping in a hole in the road while cloud-gazing.
Breaking my arm by falling from a stack of hay bales
Breaking my arm by falling five feet out of an apple tree

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Earlier this week, sometime between the time I went to sleep and the time I woke up, I managed to wrench my back on the right side from the middle all the way down to my glutes.

I have no effin' idea how that happened. What'd I do, get up and start doing a crazy dance in my sleep?

I also managed to somehow get my shoulder out of place by wringing a mop.

The dumbest thing, though, was the time in boot camp, when I stupidly placed my clothes beneath the fusebox in our communal bathroom. When I bent down to collect my clothes, I just stood right up, forgetting that the fusebox was there. I almost knocked myself out.

Reaction score
Oh, you just reminded me of the time I left an upper cupboard in the kitchen open, bent to get a plate from a low one, stood up and...

You can guess the rest.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
"How'd ya come to break your leg?"
"I didn't. I come to fix the roof"

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I was running up the stairs when I was 7 years old, and slipped on the steps, fell on my chin, and bit the end of my tongue almost completely off.

I had to get several stitches in my tongue and eat applesauce and mashed potatoes for weeks.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, you just reminded me of the time I left an upper cupboard in the kitchen open, bent to get a plate from a low one, stood up and...

You can guess the rest.

I've done that, too. Oh, I can't believe I forgot this one: When I was six months preggo with Jason, I started walking down the stairs, holding my then three year old. Second step, my feet went right out from underneath me (socks are not my friend), and I fell all the way down on my ass, because I was afraid to let go of my son.

Broke my tailbone.

And this! About a month prior to this, I was trying to get a very heavy safe onto a dolly (we were setting up new offices), and it slipped and landed on my ankle. I sprained it.

Reaction score
My avatar is Huge Ackman!

And once in the house I lived in as a kid, I was carrying a pot downstairs (a cooking pot, not a piss pot), fell downstairs, the pot went flying and I broke my fall by planting my face firmly on the lip of the pot, splitting my own. Lip, not pot, I mean.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Playing American flag football for the military team. As a wide receiver.

First play of the first game of the season, pushed off with my left leg and ... r-r-r-r-r-rip went my groin. Sidelined from playing and juuuuuuuhst about everything else for almost six months.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
I serially hit my head. Almost every day. Most recently, I dropped a sock from the dryer, knelt to retrieve it, and the crown of my head met the open door as I was standing up (that one actually hurt).

Before that, I hung up the phone, turned around and walked straight into the corner of an open cabinet.

Before that, I leaned to put a book away--coz a jackass customer wouldn't move for the second it would take--and the corner of a bookshelf hit and cut my nose.

When I was a kid, I refused to tie my shoe, tripped and skidded three feet, facedown, on the sidewalk. The day before the start of kindergarten. Miraculously, I've no scars.

Also as a kid, I was carrying a plastic kids' chair down the stairs, tumbled over it and hit the wall.

Slipped on morning dew and fell under a parked car. Left a nice gash on my leg--I could see the bone.

Used to figure skate when I was a teenager. One day, stepped on the ice with my guards still on, faceplanted on the ice, and my lip got stuck on my braces.

I'm amazed that I bear no evidence of all my idiotic accidents. I've never had stitches or broken any bones. *knocks on wooden surface many times* Anyway... I hope I've made someone feel better... :/

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
A particularly moronic injury.. well, injuries, came in a two-part event:

I was getting off the bus, then false-stepped and I heard my foot crack. I yelled in pain, since I hit that spot in the foot.

Then, the next day... same bus, same stop, same false-step, same crack, same terrible pain... the other foot.

foonting

Registered
Reaction score
While jumping up and down to keep warm waiting foe a cab on a January night.....I fell off 3 1/2 inches of pavement and broke my ankle in two places.
I had downed a fair amount of Whiskey prior the accident...so when asked what had happened by the doctor treating me in Accident and Emergency...I said I had been hit by a Canadian Club!

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Shot myself in the hand with a staple gun when I was ten or so... what? I was just lookin' at it! Really. I didn't mean to grip the handle with my other hand over the business end!

We used to have 'pot-luck lunches' at the big X when I worked there... the morning of one, I was coming in, carrying a huge pan of homemade dinner rolls in one arm and a bag of paper goods in the other across the parking lot. I tripped over absolutely nothing and went down face first to kiss a square foot of the finest cement 50 Penn Place could afford to install. Cracked a tooth, busted my lip, bruised my cheek... but I managed to save the rolls and the paper plates!

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
I walked into a road sign.

*sighs*

I have no idea how it happened. My forehead was a nasty mess for weeks afterwards. I'm lucky there's no scar...

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
If a camera had been rolling, I would have entered the video on America's Funniest Home Videos.

Three weeks ago we got an ice storm. There are three concrete steps from the back porch to the driveway. I had cleared the ice off after the storm. We were having a warmup. The gutter above the steps was dripping water down onto the steps. I had no idea the steps had refrozen.

My arms laden down, I stepped outside to go to my car. I slipped, quite theatrically, I think, and landed on my upper butt area, coming down on my left elbow.

The pain was enormous.

After I recovered, I salted the steps. A minute later, my pregnant wife arrived home and I told her what happened. (It was a good thing I found the ice; she might not have seen it and slipped herself, possibly causing trouble.)

We pulled off my shirt and she cleaned the wound and said that there was a "hole" in my skin at the elbow, and that it possibly needed stitches.

Since I lost my job, I have no health insurance, so emergency room visits are on the Off list.

Well, my elbow and arm were still operational, so I had to cover the wound with a bandaid. I found a special Bandaid that seals over a wound and is supposed to let it heal. I change this bandaid once a week.

My arm aches at the elbow. When I feel the achey part with my finger, I can feel an indentation that is not present in the identical place on the other elbow. I believe I cracked it, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Meanwhile, my wound is healing . . . slowly.

Ouch. And it hurts like hell whenever I bump it, which is pretty much all the time.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I walked into a road sign.

*sighs*

I have no idea how it happened. My forehead was a nasty mess for weeks afterwards. I'm lucky there's no scar...

What did it said?

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
:D

I wish it had been a stop sign. But I'm pretty sure it was just a speed limit sign.

Deleted member 42

I tried to make creme brulee. Twice. Once using a gas oven with a pilot light in student lodgings in England; once using a torch.

It's important to be very careful when lighting pilot lights.

I didn't know they meant a "kitchen torch."

My eyebrows did grow back.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
Beware gas stoves! We had a monstrous, cat iron six-burner from the twenties that nearly took an inch off my hair.

And some chunks out of the doorframe when it was taken apart and removed.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Sliced my palm absent-mindedly drawing a razor across it to clean it.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I actually got NOMINATED by this organization I volunteer with for a dubious award called 'The Horse's Ass' (it's an equestrian trophy, with the rider and the front half of the horse cut off, leaving, yes, the horse's ass) for this one:

In October I did a 335 mile charity bike ride through the mountains of California's Eastern Sierra. I was TERRIFIED that I was going to hurt myself, probably by falling off the bike or being blown over a cliff in the wind or something. I did not. However, on the 2.5 hour drive to the starting point, we pulled over so I could have a pee on the side of the road. While walking around the car to have said pee, I fell over, and skinned both knees and both hands. That was the worst injury I incurred on the whole trip. When I got to the actual bike ride, everyone kept asking sympathetically if I had fallen off my bike and hurt myself (cuz of all the bandaids). I should have just said yes...

The 'Horse's Ass' has not been awarded yet this year, but I feel that I won't win this year because I know other people in the group did much, much stupider things.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I did the old "bash your thumb with a hammer" thing putting together a cabinet. The best part was that I was thinking "you better get yourself some pliers to hold this nail with, girl, cause you're gonna hit your thumb" and sure enough - wham!

Then there was the time I was trying to light a stubborn incense cone that just didn't want to light. On about the fifth try, I wound up setting my long red acrylic thumbnail on fire. I yelped, dropped the cone, stuck my thumb in the bowl full of sand the cone was supposed to go in to put it out - and in the meantime melted a quarter-sized hole in the rug with the cone, which had finally decided to light after all...I tell you, had I lived in the Middle Ages, they wouldn't have had to burn me at the stake for being a witch; I probably would have managed to do it all by myself.

Then there was the time I dropped a glass, tried to pick up the pieces and ended up cutting myself nearly to the bone with one - so much for trying to be nice...

Last edited:

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see, where to start?

I almost completely severed my pinky toe on a broken bottle at the beach.
I broke my foot twice in the same place doing the same thing (jiu jitsu)
I dislocated my thumb the one time I tried to play basketball
I ran into a parked car on a bicycle once and had some nice scrapes after that
I pulled a muscle in my foot running from my car

The list goes on...