PDA

View Full Version : Ettiquite of withdrawing a sub

veinglory
05-26-2005, 05:08 PM
I subbed a story to one epublisher 34 days ago, now I see another is actively after the genre. The first market says not to send a followup until they've had the submission for 120 days. Question: would it be rude to withdraw the submission and send it to the second market which looks like a better one for this story and replies within a few days?

veinglory
05-26-2005, 05:44 PM
I'm leaning towards 'no'. [sigh]

maestrowork
05-26-2005, 05:57 PM
You can do it, just make sure you don't burn any bridges.

veinglory
05-26-2005, 06:30 PM
That would be my worry. I mean they aren't a crucial market but I don't want to piss people off regardless.

maestrowork
05-26-2005, 06:52 PM
I think you have every right to withdraw a piece, and should have no problem if you do it professionally. What you do with your piece is up to you. The fact is, they haven't accepted it or offered you a contract or whatever. So you really have no obligation to them.

Maryn
05-26-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm with Ray--if you're absolutely professional in the letter in which you withdraw it, so as to not close this market for your future submissions, I don't see a problem. One thing I'd suggest, if you do not have any sort of personal relationship with any editor there, is to not include any reason for the withdrawal, even if it's something as innocuous as "These people are a better fit and they answer faster, too."

Could be a tough letter to write, but hey, you're a writer!

Maryn

pepperlandgirl
05-26-2005, 09:33 PM
Why can't you just say, "I would like to respectfully withdraw my submission from consideration. Thank you for your time and consideration."

arrowqueen
05-27-2005, 02:31 AM
What are the first lot's views on simsubs?

If they have no objection, would it be possible to submit to the second (since you said that they reply in a few days) then if it wasn't accepted, the first need never know?

veinglory
05-27-2005, 01:07 PM
That's a thought. i will check.