Ettiquite of withdrawing a sub

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I subbed a story to one epublisher 34 days ago, now I see another is actively after the genre. The first market says not to send a followup until they've had the submission for 120 days. Question: would it be rude to withdraw the submission and send it to the second market which looks like a better one for this story and replies within a few days?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think you have every right to withdraw a piece, and should have no problem if you do it professionally. What you do with your piece is up to you. The fact is, they haven't accepted it or offered you a contract or whatever. So you really have no obligation to them.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Ray--if you're absolutely professional in the letter in which you withdraw it, so as to not close this market for your future submissions, I don't see a problem. One thing I'd suggest, if you do not have any sort of personal relationship with any editor there, is to not include any reason for the withdrawal, even if it's something as innocuous as "These people are a better fit and they answer faster, too."

Could be a tough letter to write, but hey, you're a writer!

Maryn

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
Why can't you just say, "I would like to respectfully withdraw my submission from consideration. Thank you for your time and consideration."

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
What are the first lot's views on simsubs?

If they have no objection, would it be possible to submit to the second (since you said that they reply in a few days) then if it wasn't accepted, the first need never know?