Looking For A Webmaster

quixote100104

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings :),

I'm at the very beginning of the website learning curve, meaning I know basically nothing about making them, though quite a lot about finding and looking at them ;-).

I'm in the process of consulting books, etc, but I have limited time to experiment and may soon be without a home PC for a while (mine's in the shop and it's future is uncertian). I do have regular access to the web at work and a local library, so I won't lose contact, just the ability to work from home on my own machine. Also, I've always learned better by watching someone do something and then asking questions.

My goal for the site is threefold. First, I'd like to develop a personal page as a sort of online "calling card", using that instead of the numerous links I use now in my sigs. I'd like that to intergrate as smoothly and completely with various 'social web' services as possible.

Second, I'd like to develop a small, low volume online store (though it should be scalable, just in case). For the moment, it would just be to sell a couple of self-published works by friends and family of mine (I'd like to be able to track the results of my own advertising efforts on thier behalf).
Finally, I'd need the site to be able to support my online Star Trek PBEM game (referenced in my sig). The site there at the moment is functional, but highly dependant on third party software that I just barely understand. I'd like to learn how to build my own, so I can tailor it to my needs and maintain it myself. Such a site would need to be able to support an application/crew manifest process and I'd like to integrate a wiki-based database into it (MediaWiki most interests me for this though, again, I know little about setting one up).

I have limited financial resources, so I can't just hire a webmaster like a company might, but I could certianly come up with something to partially compensate someone able and willing to help me. I would also, of course, give full credit to anyone who helps me, gladly link to anything they might want advertised in support of thier own projects and offer whatever other reciprocle assistance I can to them.

I know this is probably not the usual request here, but I am an aspiring writer and will certianly use such a website to support those ambitions. My Star Trek game itself is a collaborative writing project as well, though of a non-commercial nature, so I hope folks won't see this post as off topic.

Michael Parks

In the moment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelparks.info
Bit of a friendly reality check, take it or leave it: I can't imagine anyone wanting to help you with all that without proper financial compensation (or being your relative, or a ST fanatic). Giving "'full credit" for that kind of work doesn't "work" the way it might for a graphic or a jingle or something that doesn't take too long to make. I speak from the perspective of a web designer/app builder, which is what your request would require.

However, good look in your search. You never know who you might find.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I'm afraid Michael's right, mate. Think of it this way:

Do you know how to drive? Great. Go take your car apart. Then, put it back together. Come back and see us when it runs.

I'm not trying to be cruel, or a jerk. Just trying to give you a relatable analogy.

Were I your older brother, or some such, I would tell you:

Hold off on the online store thing. There are plenty of online mercantile's that can handle your business for a reasonable fee, that you can link to from your page.

Investigate Google Apps and pbwiki for the rest.

All the basic coding is done for you, there are management and tracking tools built in or freely available, and the learning curve is not very steep.

You will learn as you grow and, at the end of the day, YOU will be in control of it all.

Good Luck.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
What you're asking for is going to cost you for a custom design up. However I can give you a few low cost pointers.

If you are geting your own domain and hosting go with wordpress. A lot of what you are asking can be done for free with wordpress for free and you don't have to use it as blog at all. Most plugins for wordpress are free and will allow you integrate your site with various social networking by simply uploading the plugin and then clicking for in the back end. Wiki has an unintuitive learning curve in my opinion...html is not as high.

Example: I use wordpress for my home site. When ever I post it update Twitter and Facebook. This was accomplished by uploading a plugin, giving it my Twitter information and then forgetting about it.

For online stores there are plenty of good open source stuff out there...I prefer Zen Cart...but it's going to look basic without some design knowledge.

What you might want to do...especially without your own computer is just get a Wordpress.com or blogger account for free right now. You can link to at free store hosting site (not really free, they usually take commission) for that.

quixote100104

Registered
Reaction score
What you're asking for is going to cost you for a custom design up. However I can give you a few low cost pointers.

Thanks...I'll definitely look into that stuff :).

Also thanks to everyone else who added comments.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I use OS shopping cart and it's no walk in the park. I've got a professional web developer friend who owes me big time so he helps me a lot. If you want it done professionally, you're going to need to fork out some decent bucks.