Hate crimes in the United States

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
If there was an area in the United States (present day) where major hate crimes (resulting in death) were routinely being ignored by local law enforcement, who would investigate?

Would there be some sort of State bureaucracy or could the FBI get involved?

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question. Am Canadian.

It's not a major plot point (more of a throwaway comment about an FBI presence) but I still wanted it to be credible.

Thanks to any advice or help :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Possibly the federal marshalls. I don't think there's any agency specifically assigned to hate crimes. I'm not really sure where local jurisdiction would end and federal jurisdiction take over. Puma

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
The state bureacracy would be that state's troopers/highway patrol for a state police agency but obviously they have their usu jurisdiction that probably does not overlap the local unit of your setting (which prob helps your story)...all states also have an AG who can focus investigatory resources. When the DOJ gets involved (usu through the FBI) they oft charge under what we call 1983 (an old, broad law of about 70 words that let's folks be charged for violating civ rts) for short. If memory serves, it's 42 US 1983.

The Southern Poverty Law Center has wonderful info on hate crimes. Active map...pick the state in question and study. Appalling.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
When crimes fall into the category of hate crimes, they are federal crimes (as apposed to state crimes), therefore the FBI would become involved.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
It also depends on who the victims are. If it is Jews, the Anti-defamation league would be interested.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which specific agency would depend on the state. Which US state is your story set in?

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score
Which specific agency would depend on the state. Which US state is your story set in?

Most of it is set in Maine but the comment was directed at southern states without a specific state being mentioned.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
Is the entire crime ignored or just the hate-crime aspect? In other words do the perps get charged with murder/man slaughter/etc without the hate-crime tacked on? If so, the US Attorney General's office would most likely investigate (if the State AG didn't).

If the crimes are being ignored completely, then the FBI or the AG (if not the state SBI and AG).

I'm not an expert on law enforcement, but that's my understanding of it.

Kathleen42

Registered
Reaction score
Is the entire crime ignored or just the hate-crime aspect? In other words do the perps get charged with murder/man slaughter/etc without the hate-crime tacked on? If so, the US Attorney General's office would most likely investigate (if the State AG didn't).

If the crimes are being ignored completely, then the FBI or the AG (if not the state SBI and AG).

I'm not an expert on law enforcement, but that's my understanding of it.

Awesome. That's what I was suspecting.