PDA

View Full Version : Makeup help, ladies???

JoNightshade
02-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Okay I am really stupid when it comes to makeup. I don't wear it, have never worn it, I have no idea what all the creams and powders and brushes are for. And I'm embarrassed to go into a department store and have some teenager try to make me over. I just want one thing:

To get rid of the dark circles under my eyes.

Can anyone explain an easy way to do this? I have light olive-toned skin. The circles are like... purple. I just want to be able to put something on after I shower in the AM and not worry about it any more. I got some foundation cream the same color as my skin, but putting that under my eyes made me look like a raccoon. I also got some powder stuff to put all over my face and that didn't do much at all. I have really nice skin, so I don't need/want to cover it up.

I'm just tired of having everyone think I'm exhausted. I'm really not!

stormie
02-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Do you have allergies? I've read that can cause those "shadows." With the foundation, take your pinky finger and put just a tiny--very tiny-- dot on your finger. Then gently put that dot not too close to your lower lashes. Gently smudge it. Mostly do near your nose and as I said, not close to the lower lashes, down a little. It takes practice. If you still can't get it, go to a Clinique counter to one of their own salespeople. They'll help you. You probably want a shade a little lighter than your skintone. You need someone to help with that. And there's yellow and pink undertones to deal with.

regdog
02-13-2009, 02:00 AM
There's a make up called Dermablend which is used to cover scars, tattoos etc. You put it on and blend it in under your base makeup.

JoNightshade
02-13-2009, 02:02 AM
I don't have any allergies at all, even in allergy season.

Thanks stormie... I will try it. Practice, you say? Argh.

GirlWithPoisonPen
02-13-2009, 02:03 AM
Do you use an under eye cream? They have some that will help with darkness. Also good for preventing aging.

After that, you need an under eye concealer. I know that you don't want to go to a department store, but that's a really good idea for this. The sales associate will be able to match the right color for you. You can burn a lot of money on drugstore stuff that doesn't work.

I'd recommend Bobbi Brown or Clinique.

When they ask you if there is anything else you need say "I just need some under eye concealer." Repeat.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
02-13-2009, 02:03 AM
I'll ask a friend of mine, she's studying to become a licensed makeup artist.

A tip though: NEVER get makeup done in a store. Incredibly unhygenic. They don't keep anything clean.

JoNightshade
02-13-2009, 02:05 AM
Okay. "Under-eye-concealer, under-eye-concealer." Clinique. Got it.

Bubastes
02-13-2009, 02:07 AM
I personally like MAC cosmetics because they have such a wide range of shades. Since you're olive-toned like me, they may be your best bet for a good match. They have a creamy concealer that comes in a little pot (called Studio Finish Concealer). I use that and a Taklon (synthetic bristle) art brush from the art supply store (dept store brushes are WAY too expensive). Put some of the concealer on the brush, then on the back of your hand to warm it up a bit. Brush and dab it under your eyes, then set with a light dusting of powder (I like their Blot Powder).

ETA: I use a brush because it's easier to control and because I don't like sticking my fingers in my makeup. Yeah, I'm a bit anal-retentive!

brainstorm77
02-13-2009, 02:09 AM
I would go to a good makeup counter and ask for a undereye concealer and they should be able to match the color to your skintone.

Stew21
02-13-2009, 02:12 AM
Instead of trying to cover it, try to get rid of the source of the problem.
Lots of the better skincare product lines have eye treatments (firm and fill solutions and other things that reduce puffiness and discoloration). It'll get rid of the problem so you won't have to cover it with make-up you don't want to wear.
Some have immediate benefits (as in, you notice a difference each time you use it) but it only works while you have it on. Other better ones have immediate benefits and long term benefits, (that correct it more and more each time).
These products are more expensive than make-up, but it sounds like you've already spent a bit using a bunch of stuff that doesn't work.

GirlWithPoisonPen
02-13-2009, 02:14 AM
I personally like MAC cosmetics because they have such a wide range of shades. Since you're olive-toned like me, they may be your best bet for a good match. They have a creamy concealer that comes in a little pot (called Studio Finish Concealer). I use that and a Taklon (synthetic bristle) art brush from the art supply store (dept store brushes are WAY too expensive). Put some of the concealer on the brush, then on the back of your hand to warm it up a bit. Brush and dab it under your eyes, then set with a light dusting of powder (I like their Blot Powder).

I was going to recommend MAC, but I sensed some makeup counter anxiety, in which case a MAC counter or store could be intimidating or off-putting.

Pagey's_Girl
02-13-2009, 02:22 AM
Clinque and Origins are both friendly counters, in my experience.

If you want to try something retail, another good brand is Revlon ColorStay. It does a good job of covering things like dark red zits and it stays put.

scarletpeaches
02-13-2009, 02:29 AM
Jo, I'm a devotee of BeneFit makeup and also an insomniac.

I've found the perfect thing to get rid of dark circles is a combination of their undereye de-puffer called "Ooh la lift" and then on top of that, their compact concealer, "Boi-ing". (Yes, that's really what they're called).

I'm not kidding; I look like I've had a full eight hours' of sleep when I wear those.

jennifer75
02-13-2009, 02:51 AM
There is a "concealer palette" available for this problem. I used to use it. Lancome has one, so does Avon. I've used both. There are 3 colors: green yellow and beige I think.

As taken from the Ulta.com site "The yellow concealer corrects under-eye circles, the green concealer hides redness, and the flesh tone blends away dark tones and minor imperfections. Setting powder creates a natural looking finish."

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2146517&productId=prod350010&navAction=push&navCount=1&categoryId=cat80024#details

Susie
02-13-2009, 03:21 AM
Sorry gals, I don't wear makeup. I'm a natural beauty! :D LOL.

scarletpeaches
02-13-2009, 03:24 AM
Must be all that chocolate keeping you young.

Susie
02-13-2009, 03:25 AM
That is soooooo true, scarlet. :D (If only).

cooeedownunder
02-13-2009, 03:30 AM
I also have a light olive complexion and can sometimes look like I have dark rings under my eyes - I don't normally wear makeup except for mascarra and sometimes blush and eyeliner. I usually fine that when I am tired that the darkness under the eyes does look worst. I have never used it, but I have heard people say to place cucumber on the shut eyes for an hour or so.

CaroGirl
02-13-2009, 03:30 AM
ETA: I use a brush because it's easier to control and because I don't like sticking my fingers in my makeup. Yeah, I'm a bit anal-retentive!
They make foundation in a pump bottle now! I've used it for a while and really like it.

WittyWordsmith
02-13-2009, 03:38 AM
If she doesn't want to fuss, I'd say her best bet is still a concealer. Powder might help it blend and soften the rest of her face, but simplicity is the name of the game here, right?

So, I would head to said "friendly" counters and be upfront in telling them precisely what you want. Don't buy any more than you want to, and don't be pressured to purchase it if it doesn't feel/look great.

Once you have the product you want, you can most likely order online for any refills.

nevada
02-13-2009, 03:49 AM
Jo, you can always try Merle Norman. They'll consult, show you how to apply, the products are fine. and yeah be upfront about what you will and will not buy. and if you're afraid you'll get carried away, make alist, don't buy anything and go back the next day to buy. and it's a nice calming store not a bright shiny make up counter in the middle of a bright shiny busy department store.

stormie
02-13-2009, 03:58 AM
I like MAC cosmetics, (love their pump foundation) but I've found Clinique ("cliniticians" I think they're called), to be the nicest and their makeup good. As others have said, just insist that's all you need.

Susie--chocolate: very, very good in keeping one young looking! Go chocolate!

Smish
02-13-2009, 03:59 AM
I used to have the undereye problem, too (but I'll admit I don't get enough sleep). You could do the quick fix with concealer (L'Oreal is a good over-the-counter brand, I think, & has tons of shades separated in sections (cool, warm, neutral)), but I'd also definitely recommend an eye-cream. Once I started using one, the circles went away, and now I don't need to bother with concealer.

Deadbeat 007
02-13-2009, 04:32 AM
I've had really bad under-eye circles since I was 13... genetics, I guess. I use a Covergirl concealer that comes in a tube. It only takes a thin layer and lasts until you wash it off. :)

M.R.J. Le Blanc
02-13-2009, 04:45 AM
Ok, from my makeup artist friend:

"To counteract the purple under eye circles I would recommend an orange or yellow tinted colour corrector for under the eyes. Use a TINY amount, and build up from there. Then a tinted moisturizer (make sure it's the same colour as your NECK as opposed to your face) all over, and LIGHTLY powder (do not concentrate under the eyes, as that can make wrinkles, bags, etc stand out) with translucent powder (to avoid shine).

Another trick is to use a brightening stick. Most makeup companies make these, and just a bit of this under your eyes can really brighten it up and help hide the circles.

Unfortunately, if you are trying to cover up one area of the face, you can't NOT wear makeup on the rest of your face, as that creates the "raccoon look". You need to smooth out the rest of your face with at least some tinted moisturizer."

JoNightshade
02-13-2009, 10:13 AM
"To counteract the purple under eye circles I would recommend an orange or yellow tinted colour corrector for under the eyes. Use a TINY amount, and build up from there. Then a tinted moisturizer (make sure it's the same colour as your NECK as opposed to your face) all over, and LIGHTLY powder (do not concentrate under the eyes, as that can make wrinkles, bags, etc stand out) with translucent powder (to avoid shine).

Another trick is to use a brightening stick. Most makeup companies make these, and just a bit of this under your eyes can really brighten it up and help hide the circles.

Unfortunately, if you are trying to cover up one area of the face, you can't NOT wear makeup on the rest of your face, as that creates the "raccoon look". You need to smooth out the rest of your face with at least some tinted moisturizer."

:Wha:

See, that was what I was sorta hoping to avoid... I... don't think I really understood any of that. ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I will start with the Clinique counter and see where I get from there. :)

M.R.J. Le Blanc
02-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Hence why I don't wear makeup unless she does it for me lol

I do get the second option though. What she's basically saying is that you can use a brightening stick around your eyes, but you can't use JUST that. You basically have to smooth the look, either with tinted moisturizer like she suggested or something else. That's why you get that racoon look, because the textures are different. Tinted moisturizer would probably be faster if you're like me and don't like fussing too much (I keep things simple *shrug*).

tjwriter
02-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Sometimes after I've put on my base (I usually just use powder), I run a little bit of white eyeliner right along my lower lashes. It helps counteract the darkness a bit and makes my eyes look a bit bigger.

I've had dark bags under my eyes forever. I've gotten to where I just don't worry about it anymore.

stormie
02-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Yes! I forgot about that trick. A very thin line of white eyeliner along the lower lashes.