Writing Academic Essays (Literature)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
*Not sure if this is the right place . . .

I'm a second year undergraduate (literature) and need advice about running on quotes [syntactically] with my argument. I've talked to my tutor: my structure and argument are near enough perfect but my inability to run on the quotes is dragging down my grades. My two recent where lower seconds but I've been told if I iron out the remaining problems I should be looking at a first.

I have to get to grips this semester; my Honours year starts in September. Any advice?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
It's the University of Stirling's [English Studies] style guide; they are research led so it is probably connected to a style guide of a certain academic publisher [probable Edinburgh University Press].

"Run-on quotes": what I meant was having a quote from a novel/play/poem incorporated into the prose of the essay without being disjointed. I just can't seem to make it smooth enough.

GirlWithPoisonPen

Mata Hari
Registered
Reaction score
How are you currently doing it? And why isn't your tutor helping you learn how to improve your technique.

Generally, you introduce the idea, use the quote as evidence, then analyze the quote.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
One of the worst examples is "The interaction of the characters of 'Seth, too, had straightened his back . . .' It's messy and too clunky.

My problem is I now have two new tutors (one I know from semester 1). I think I will have to email him to arrange a meeting. It's not that he hasn't tried to help; I think this is a hurdle I'm struggling to negotiate.

I think the worst problem is I did Lit classes before getting on this degree course; where they used: clause one - idea; full stop; clause two - quote. I think my mind has developed this psychological barrier.

Deleted member 42

The problem is in the text you use to transition from your comment to the quote that provides the evidence.

You need to adjust the grammar and syntax of your text so that the quotation fits in seamlessly.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Alternatively, don't try and blend them together. But set up the purpose, then quote, then analyse. Keeping each part separate.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
Remember that if you're integrating quotes into your own thought, it still has to produce a coherent sentence. Subject, verb, direct object and so on. The example you provided, as you know, makes no sense.

Coherent. Structurally sound. Illustrates your point. You should strive to meet these criteria.

Random example:

The war imposes isolation upon Septimus because he is rendered incapable of contextual speech; such a condition simulates madness. In truth, “The survivor’s traumatized mind apprehends the traumatic event as ever-present, and his memories of the event often exist in the present consciousness as … fragments” that do not connect to chronological thought or the situation for which the veteran is actually present.

[Citation removed for fear of US/UK formatting confusion.]

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Gothic.

Status
Not open for further replies.